316
Full MemberFull Member

Post6:36 PM - Feb 17#1126

The  Target going in at the inner belt is the largest in the entire area.  I presume the grocery section will be equally as large? Should be interesting how Target and Dierbergs 'fight it out' in that area/

100
Junior MemberJunior Member

Post11:16 PM - Feb 18#1127

I'm still flabbergasted that HV Target is anywhere within sniffing distance of Brentwood's.

208
Junior MemberJunior Member

Post4:14 PM - Feb 19#1128

As someone else mentioned, it's more impressive that Hampton Village sales are what they are despite no alcohol section.

Both Promenade and HV are in the top 20 percent nationally in traffic. Placer doesn't necessarily equate traffic to sales perfectly, especially when talking about stores like IKEA where the average sales ticket can vary dramatically. So there certainly are times when the traffic is great but the sales aren't as strong and vice versa. It becomes less of a gap when it's talking about stores where the average sales ticket is pretty consistent over time like grocery stores, Dollar Tree, etc. 

Any way you slice it, Placer's data is a fascinating and valuable tool.  

135
Junior MemberJunior Member

Post4:44 PM - Feb 19#1129

Density (even SW city density) is good for people and business alike, it seems!

1,678
Totally AddictedTotally Addicted

Post6:53 PM - Feb 19#1130

I’m shocked the HV Target doesn’t sell alcohol. The Grand store does.

139
Junior MemberJunior Member

Post7:01 PM - Feb 19#1131

BarryGlick wrote: ↑
6:36 PM - Feb 17
The  Target going in at the inner belt is the largest in the entire area.  I presume the grocery section will be equally as large? Should be interesting how Target and Dierbergs 'fight it out' in that area/
The inner ring NW corridor is definitely the most populated area/income demos without a target right now, so I think the U City one will do well

208
Junior MemberJunior Member

Post2:55 PM - Feb 20#1132

TheWayoftheArch_V2.0 wrote: ↑
6:53 PM - Feb 19
I’m shocked the HV Target doesn’t sell alcohol.  The Grand store does.
It's not because they don't want to. It's due to a bizarre restriction based on the development agreement they share with the other properties at the intersection - Schnucks, Walgreens, etc. 

89
New MemberNew Member

Post1:22 PM - Feb 21#1133

I went to the community meetings when Target was needing variances to rebuild the one Hampton. As usual the neighbors were trying to fight the larger store saying it would not succeed in that area (it was going to be the second or third of the larger formats locally) Target officials stated that there was more buying power within a couple of miles of Hampton Village than there was within five miles of the Town and Country store they were building at the same time. 

7,957
Life MemberLife Member

Post2:42 PM - Feb 21#1134

Remember that NIMBYs also killed a Target back at McKnight and Manchester in Rock Hill. A friend lived right behind where it would have been built and went to the meetings. Yes, multiple people expressed concerns about liquor sales.

Post5:33 AM - 4 days ago#1135


1,083
Expert MemberExpert Member

Post6:40 AM - 4 days ago#1136

Has IKEA ever looked into selling, leasing, or otherwise developing some of its expansive parking lots that they pay taxes on and maintain but gain absolutely no benefit from?

Sent from my SM-S936U using Tapatalk


12K
Life MemberLife Member

Post1:09 PM - 4 days ago#1137

But they do benefit from them. The availability of plentiful, free parking is one of the things that keeps customers coming back. I realize that that doesn't fit the vision of an Urban Utopia that so many of us dream about; but that's the reality we live in. 

1,083
Expert MemberExpert Member

Post3:04 PM - 3 days ago#1138

framer wrote:But they do benefit from them. The availability of plentiful, free parking is one of the things that keeps customers coming back. I realize that that doesn't fit the vision of an Urban Utopia that so many of us dream about; but that's the reality we live in. 
Here in reality, they could cut their surface lot in half and still have more than enough free parking for their busiest day. And lets also not ignore the needless green space they frame the parking lot with. It's 2026 not 1996.

This is the problem- I'm not asking for urbanist utopia, I'm asking for the basic market capitalist principles of balancing supply and demand with the goal of maximizing profit. It doesn't take a genius to realize vacant parking space doesn't adhere to those principles at all.

Sent from my SM-S936U using Tapatalk


1,863
Never Logs OffNever Logs Off

Post3:24 PM - 3 days ago#1139

IKEA is certainly overparked. People forget there is tons of parking under the building too.

Does IKEA own the lot immediately to the west or is that Cortex’s lot?

2,879
Life MemberLife Member

Post3:28 PM - 3 days ago#1140

I believe they are following code. Each store has to have a certain amount of parking (look at all big box stores) by the amount of space the building maintains.  

1,863
Never Logs OffNever Logs Off

Post3:33 PM - 3 days ago#1141

I’m sure they do market analysis for parking as well. And because 75% of the region are fat, lazy rubes who demand overparked shopping centers, this is what we get. 

1,083
Expert MemberExpert Member

Post3:36 PM - 3 days ago#1142

matguy70 wrote:I believe they are following code. Each store has to have a certain amount of parking (look at all big box stores) by the amount of space the building maintains.  
A company code or a city code?

Sent from my SM-S936U using Tapatalk


345
AdministratorAdministrator

Post4:16 PM - 3 days ago#1143

JaneJacobsGhost wrote: ↑
3:24 PM - 3 days ago
Does IKEA own the lot immediately to the west or is that Cortex’s lot?
They do not. But no idea who this owner is.
Screenshot 2026-10-07 111512.png (491.19KiB)

1,863
Never Logs OffNever Logs Off

Post5:59 PM - 3 days ago#1144

That’s the lot to the East. Pretty sure the foundry developer owns it. I’m talking about the huge lot to the west next to the grain elevator. I tried using the city’s parcel search but the address didn’t turn up results 

208
Junior MemberJunior Member

Post9:21 PM - 3 days ago#1145

The one next to IKEA is owned by the Cortex entity, I believe. 

611
Senior MemberSenior Member

Post12:08 PM - 3 days ago#1146

I saw a guy doing donuts in this parking lot yesterday in the middle of the day. Trash behavior but adds to the justification to get rid of a bunch of that parking lot

1,863
Never Logs OffNever Logs Off

Post8:05 PM - 2 days ago#1147

Seonded. You can see the donut and burnout marks clearly from google earth. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that lot being utilized 

Read more posts (-3 remaining)