124
Junior MemberJunior Member

Post12:47 PM - Today#9951

Icelandair to commence new route from Reykjavik (KEF) to St. Louis (STL).

Flights to operate 4 weekly from May 14 with 737 MAX.

610
Senior MemberSenior Member

Post12:49 PM - Today#9952

Pretty minor in my opinion when the STL Partnership says this was “significant” for the region. Significant would be another flight to mainland Europe, not to Iceland.

767
Super MemberSuper Member

Post1:17 PM - Today#9953

Nice! Keep these wins coming!

I was considering a flight to Ireland on BA but this route might offer a better connection and will likely be considerably less $.

2,873
Life MemberLife Member

Post1:20 PM - Today#9954

Given that Iceland is still a big vacation destination, this will serve the purpose.  I can't see anyone really using this flight for international connections (unless much cheaper). The flight/airline is another nice notch into STL's growing international flag carriers and it also shows that airlines are seeing the growth at STL.  

Iceland could have gone back to KC, but given KC's miserable response (poor load factors), they (Icelandair) weren't trusting to go west again.  WOW service was on a slightly longer plane with 261 seats and this will be service on a 767-MAX.  Icelandair's Nasville service is on the lower side at 73.5% (performing slightly better than some of Icelandair's other lowest U.S. routes like Detroit at 67% or Pittsburgh at 69%). All on 737-MAX.
This tells me that Icelandair will keep service if the demand is there and makes profit on the smaller 737-MAX.

As for length of flight right at 7.5-8hours .. that is long on that aircarft. 

I would also rather (and I think most do) fly nonstop to mainland EU on the wide-bodies of Lufthansa and British Airways from STL nonstop. They also have two huge international connections airports.

Also to note: KEF airport in Reykjavik is like a third world country IMO. 

402
Full MemberFull Member

Post1:21 PM - Today#9955

While not the win Iberia (or other mainland Europe lines) might have been, we have to show some excitement to have a third European airline.  I hope it does well.

4,110
Life MemberLife Member

Post1:46 PM - Today#9956

Chris Stritzel wrote: ↑
12:49 PM - Today
Pretty minor in my opinion when the STL Partnership says this was “significant” for the region. Significant would be another flight to mainland Europe, not to Iceland.
I was a little surprised when I saw WTC was doing the announcement. It is international but not really business related. Rumors Southwest could be involved with it also. That part is not from a source I know though. Hopefully it’s that they are going to start selling Iceland air tickets. 

767
Super MemberSuper Member

Post1:58 PM - Today#9957

^ https://www.southwest.com/airline-partners/
Our first international partnership is with Icelandair®. Our interline partnership connects Customers on Icelandair into the Southwest network at Baltimore/Washington (BWI) Airport, Denver (DEN), Nashville (BNA), Orlando (MCO), Pittsburgh (PIT), and Raleigh/Durham (RDU). with future connection points planned at other airports where our networks overlap. Initially, we’re flowing Customers onto the Southwest network through Icelandair’s website and third-party booking channels. Eventually, Customers will be able to book on Southwest.com. And now, Rapid Rewards® Members who book an itinerary through Icelandair that includes a Southwest Airlines operated segment can earn Rapid Rewards points.1
Future connection points, one being STL?

548
Senior MemberSenior Member

Post2:10 PM - Today#9958

I guess I'm the only one who is super happy this is KEF (with WN tie-in) rather than another major destination like DUB, AMS, CDG, or MAD. 

Consider it my many years of accumulated St. Louis disappointments,  regrets, and and insecurities but I'd rather we have another 5 years of steady growth of LHR and FRA before overextending ourselves and then ending up with just 1 TATL flight or none!

While twice the duration (WOW was 6.5 hour) , KEF on FI is basically a colder Montego Bay type flight. A lot easier to envision us adding that while sustainably building our main two. Huzzah for another European carrier at Lambert 🕺

3,859
Life MemberLife Member

Post2:17 PM - Today#9959

Will there be enough demand for an STL to REY flight 4 times/week? I assume this will attract passengers from the entire region/State, surrounding areas. What are the anticipated loads to keep this flight successful?

2,740
Life MemberLife Member

Post2:58 PM - Today#9960

We are still kind of a southwest hub, theoretically the system will funnel riders in

2,873
Life MemberLife Member

Post3:33 PM - Today#9961

STL is definitely a Southwest "hub" station. Their flight connections through STL are huge.  

We are their 10th or 11th busiest airport hub.

2,964
Life MemberLife Member

Post3:37 PM - Today#9962

Solid win for STL all around. I agree with @RuskiSTL for his points on getting a good win without overextending our catchment area's pull for European travelers prematurely. Long term, it'll be better to really solidify LHR and FRA before going to another major hub on the continent - and saying that while I really want to get both KLM and Air France routes going forward. Also, there's the fact that Keflavik International is the hub airport for Icelandair, making it a full gateway to the rest of Europe. And with Southwest announcing a codeshare partnership, well, that's just huge. Good times y'all. 

2,953
Life MemberLife Member

Post3:39 PM - Today#9963

There seems to be another shoe to drop with this announcement. Southwest related. 

Remember in 2025 WN said it is "redesigning" service to make St. Louis an area focused on "north/south connectivity" 

1,890
Never Logs OffNever Logs Off

Post3:43 PM - Today#9964

What were the typical loads for the WOW flights back in the day? My vague recollection is they did well - though clearly they didn't have to compete with other European flights at the time.

While it's not an earth-shattering announcement, another TATL flight is a big deal. I'm happy to hear there's more competiton, clearly there's more demand to be met out of STL. If they position themselves as a cheaper option to Lufthanza/BA I'm sure all three could do well here.

-RBB

9,757
Life MemberLife Member

Post4:24 PM - Today#9965

Updated chart of how you can get to
Europe from Missouri non stop 
IMG_3698.jpeg (146.6KiB)

767
Super MemberSuper Member

Post4:32 PM - Today#9966

^ Oof! I saw that over on airliners.net.

There is some hand wringing on that side of the state over these TATL flights but they just don't have the corporate presence that we do.

4,110
Life MemberLife Member

Post4:41 PM - Today#9967

rbb wrote: ↑
3:43 PM - Today
What were the typical loads for the WOW flights back in the day? My vague recollection is they did well - though clearly they didn't have to compete with other European flights at the time.

While it's not an earth-shattering announcement, another TATL flight is a big deal. I'm happy to hear there's more competiton, clearly there's more demand to be met out of STL. If they position themselves as a cheaper option to Lufthanza/BA I'm sure all three could do well here.

-RBB
First month is May and only one flight. Last 2 months Nov/dec were after they announced they were leaving. 

So overall okay. Not great. But this plane is quite a bit smaller. 160 seats vs 200-210 for WOW
IMG_5346.jpeg (128.99KiB)

767
Super MemberSuper Member

Post6:05 PM - Today#9968

jshank just posted this over on airliners.net, looks like KSDK will be covering this live.

https://www.ksdk.com/watch

2,873
Life MemberLife Member

Post6:51 PM - Today#9969

Yes, but Icelandair 737Max Is betting on leisure travelers mainly and service to Detroit, Pittsburgh and Nasville (on the same aircraft) runs about 65 to 73%.  The 737Max is more efficient than the widebodies.  Fine for a 6.5 hour flight to KEF.

Post7:00 PM - Today#9970

addxb2 wrote: ↑
3:39 PM - Today
There seems to be another shoe to drop with this announcement. Southwest related. 

Remember in 2025 WN said it is "redesigning" service to make St. Louis an area focused on "north/south connectivity" 
Yep. I agreem. Southwest has partnership now Icelandair and will be "selling" this flight with connections I am sure.  Easy connect in STL with international gates in T2.

Read more posts (-5 remaining)