Cortex Metrolink Station

All the ways we move people and things: trains, planes, automobiles, biking, walking, etc.
First unread post221 posts
I wonder if having the rails run into a pole for the overhead wires will cause any delays for the eastbound track? :? :?
^Well that’s unfortunate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WashU reported on Friday that “construction of the new Boyle/Cortex Metrolink station should be finished by June.”

So, good news, despite what looked like a little planning snafu.

I assume after construction is complete there still may be a week or two of testing prior to a public opening. Hopefully it’s all up and running in time for Fair St. Louis - usually one of the busiest (if not the busiest) Metrolink ridership periods of the year.
While amusing, I wouldn't call it a snafu. From my understanding, the practice of "sliding" tracks side to side is pretty standard. You can see how close it is to the existing tracks, I'm guessing that that was as close as they could get.
Can't wait for it to open... this summer would be fantastic. And I'm keen on seeing how many residents of FPSE & CWE use the station to reach non-Cortex area destinations. (Again, it's about 2,500' to both Manchester& Boyle and Lindell & Boyle.)
STLrainbow wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 11:22 am
Can't wait for it to open... this summer would be fantastic. And I'm keen on seeing how many residents of FPSE & CWE use the station to reach non-Cortex area destinations. (Again, it's about 2,500' to both Manchester& Boyle and Lindell & Boyle.)
0.58 mile to Sarah & Manchester
0.51 mile to Boyle & Manchester
The 10 minute walk down to Just John might make the trip a little more enticing now.
aprice wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 9:40 am
While amusing, I wouldn't call it a snafu. From my understanding, the practice of "sliding" tracks side to side is pretty standard. You can see how close it is to the existing tracks, I'm guessing that that was as close as they could get.
Agreed. I suspect they will line it up where it's supposed to be when it comes time to do the tie in. Still, fun to laugh at now.
Metro trains are rolling through Cortex station now in both directions.

Station looks great. Thanks for the update.

Hopefully things move quickly on the landscaping/access path side.
This summer.
wabash wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:40 am
Station looks great. Thanks for the update.

Hopefully things move quickly on the landscaping/access path side.
Some progress photos from Metro's Flickr page:

I'm struck but what a strange and interesting urban landscape this is. Tech companies, research labs, grain silos, hospital buildings, new construction, historic rehabs, SLU and IKEA in the background. Even the juxtaposition of this transit infrastructure with the surface lots, streets and driveways that almost entirely surround it. For the size of the system, Metrolink has such a fascinating and eclectic collection of stations - this seems to be another strong addition to the lineup.
The Cortex Station is added in to the new Metrolink schedule update effective Monday, June 25.

http://www.metrostlouis.org/upcoming-schedule-changes/

I haven't seen any confirmation that the station would be opening then, but I hope they can get it open ASAP, even if it's not fully polished.
On June 25, MetroLink schedules will be adjusted to incorporate the Cortex MetroLink Station into the MetroLink control center. This is important because it allows the system that helps control the MetroLink system recognize the addition of the new station, so trains will be able to serve the station when it is expected to open later this summer.
eee123 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:32 pm
The Cortex Station is added in to the new Metrolink schedule update effective Monday, June 25.

http://www.metrostlouis.org/upcoming-schedule-changes/

I haven't seen any confirmation that the station would be opening then, but I hope they can get it open ASAP, even if it's not fully polished.
Yes, but most importantly, when is the Cortex MetroLink station going to get a Wikipedia page? Give the people what they want.
Is "Cortex" the official name of the station? I don't recall seeing any announcements anywhere revealing the station name. E.g. See the title of this thread.
mill204 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:00 pm
Is "Cortex" the official name of the station? I don't recall seeing any announcements anywhere revealing the station name. E.g. See the title of this thread.
My thoughts exactly. There've been plenty of references to it, but I don't think there's ever been a formal reveal of what exactly the name would be. I wasn't sure if Metro would go with the Cortex name as they've moved away from other branded names over the years (namely Kiel Center becoming Civic Center and Busch Stadium becoming Stadium). This seems to seal it though.
Due to its investment in the light rail station, the Cortex Innovation Community was also granted naming rights. Metro Transit did not make any formal announcement, rather transitioned from using Boyle MetroLink Station to Cortex MetroLink Station.
Pretty chintzy covering. Would hate to be waiting for a train in a rain or snow storm.
I've been wondering how effective those will be in rain and snow as well.

I thought a TIGER grant paid for this. How much did Cortex put into it?
^The TIGER grant was for $10.3m. Cortex funded the effort that laid the groundwork to get the TIGER grant and maybe some of the additional cost - I think a few recent references to the cost have been closer to $15m.

As for the shelter provided by the station, it seems about consistent with every other surface Metrolink Station. I don't think you'd want to be stuck in any standard surface station in a rain or snow storm.
I biked over there on Saturday. Its fine for buildings north of the tracks. I have no idea why they wouldn't make a direct sidewalk to BJC @ The commons or anything south of there.
Seems like the canopies are higher up and then extend up further away from the center. Doesn't help provide shade.
A previous site plan had access from the south and east. I was disappointed they were cut out. Doesn't help the last mile problem they seem concerned about. Plus if thete's an incident beteeen you and the single exit, then what?
It comes down to the necessary clearance of the overhead catenary wire. With the original canopy design, the downward slope puts it below the catenary wire. The canopy design of the Cortex MetroLink Station called for a more artistic aesthetic -- and for the canopy to cover from the center to the edge of the MetroLink platform. For this to happen, required the canopy to be taller so that it could clear the catenary wire.
quincunx wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:22 am
Seems like the canopies are higher up and then extend up further away from the center. Doesn't help provide shade.
One point of access allows for a more secure MetroLink platform. That being said, there is an emergency exit built into the platform design. A trail -- part of the Chouteau Greenway -- will encourage multimodal access via Boyle or Sarah to accomplish first/last mile connections.
quincunx wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:26 am
A previous site plan had access from the south and east. I was disappointed they were cut out. Doesn't help the last mile problem they seem concerned about. Plus if thete's an incident beteeen you and the single exit, then what?