The Urban Theory Thread

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.
First unread post477 posts
quincunx wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:20 am
More food for thought

Detroit Free Press - Gentrification misses real problem in Detroit, urban expert warns

https://amp.freep.com/amp/762627002
This is a better article than the economist piece, which was highly flawed. But I think there are basically two related but still separate issues for gentrification in STL. One is how do we move forward north of Delmar.... that is sort of what the Free Press article gets at with Detroit's deep poverty in large deaths of the city outside downtown where the lion's share of development is. The other is how do we move forward in much of the Central Corridor and South City where the once large population of blacks is rapidly declining in hot neighborhoods, i.e. the more traditional definition of gentrification.
STLrainbow wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:38 pm
^ gentrification is a complex issue and does have different meanings to different people. but what do you call it when (once) majority-black neighborhoods like Forest Park SE, Botanical Heights and Shaw lose black population at dramatic rates while the white population increases?
just to be clear, though, i think gentrification is defined by the displacement of those with lesser economic means by those with greater economic means. it doesn't have anything to do with race implicitly, but it usually aligns with the displacement of black folks in the US (and particularly St. Louis) for obvious historical reasons.