Board of Aldermen

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.
First unread post485 posts
urban_dilettante wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:42 pm
stlien wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:19 pm
I wonder if vetoing the bill will just be a larger distraction in the sense that now, the proponents will be looking for ways to override the veto.
i'd much rather the proponents have to to secure another 4 BOA votes on top of getting over 60% of the public vote. makes their bullsh*t much less likely to succeed. hopefully after this re-vote effort fails, the reduction happens, and the sky does not fall on A-A representation, they'll go away.
Sounds like a distraction from real issues they could be addressing.
stlien wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:31 am
urban_dilettante wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:42 pm
stlien wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:19 pm
I wonder if vetoing the bill will just be a larger distraction in the sense that now, the proponents will be looking for ways to override the veto.
i'd much rather the proponents have to to secure another 4 BOA votes on top of getting over 60% of the public vote. makes their bullsh*t much less likely to succeed. hopefully after this re-vote effort fails, the reduction happens, and the sky does not fall on A-A representation, they'll go away.
Sounds like a distraction from real issues they could be addressing.
doesn't take much effort for the mayor to veto a bill. and if a subset of aldermen chooses to continue wasting everyone's time opposing reduction instead of working on the issues they complain are not being addressed, then that irony/hypocrisy is on them. moreover, reduction is itself a "real issue" and an important enough "distraction" that i encourage the mayor and pro-reduction BOA members to spend whatever time they need addressing it.
Tom Oldenburg @OldenburgSTL

BB25 (ward reduction re-do) was not debated today. It was put on ice; 3 "yes" votes from last week were not present 2day. When this happens to BBs, support tends to vacillate. Bwt this & the Mayor's statement she will Veto BB25...a redo getting on ballot appears unlikely.
Glad to see the Board might be inclined to drop this nonsense. This is why who we elect as aldermen is vitally important.
StlToday - Asking St. Louis voters to reverse decision to cut number of wards will get a mayoral veto

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt ... 2f40e.html
Ogilvie not running again for the 24th
I also want to point to what needs to be changed about government in the St. Louis region: Everything.

Everything. Government in the region needs to be completely remade from the ground up. It does not work in St. Louis City, it does not work in the poorer areas of St. Louis County. We accept that rich people get excellent services because they wall themselves into suburban enclaves and avoid engaging with the rest of the region, and we accept that poor people will have poor services because they are poor. We accept that the middle class will endure a series of choices driven by anxiety and fear rather than love and optimism.
http://ward24stl.org/news/2018/10/11/a- ... on-in-2019
Very sad to be losing Ogilvie from the board. The kind of thoughtful, progressive public servant we need many more of in the region.
He'd be a great candidate to run NextSTL since no one else is? just kidding... but... He's definitely got the right voice for it and he might actually be able to do more with the large following influence than being an Alderman actually...
Ebsy wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:33 pm
Very sad to be losing Ogilvie from the board. The kind of thoughtful, progressive public servant we need many more of in the region.
Really bummed me out. Not just because I saw Ogilvie as a potential mayoral candidate but because the letter came off very defeatist.
^ generally, this where people who try to care about St. Louis end up. it's a f***ed up mess and most people in the region either don't give a sh*t or they have an interest in keeping it this way. the longer you're here the harder it is to avoid the defeatism.