Retail Rally: What's Next For Downtown St. Louis?

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
First unread post1255 posts
aprice wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:36 am
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:20 am
Robust Wine bar to close on the 28th, blames lack of convention traffic.
That's an odd way of saying mediocre food and pretentious staff. And if anyone is wondering what Wash Ave restaurant traffic is like, Sen Thai has been packed since it opened and Mango does very well. Mizu does okay. Over / Under captures most of the Marriott Grand business.
So I definitely read this as "Copia" not Robust. But I believe Copia is closing too though, right?
Robust actually had good food. The prices looked okay on the menu but the portions were tiny. As for traffic down there, Sugarfire dominates the street life but I think Porano, CBW, Taze, Snarfs, and Pi do okay. And now there's Kiin and the ice cream place. With Rascall Flatts opening soon. Hamburger Mary's is still off to a good start.

As for the Ax throwing place mentioned on the Laclede's Landing thread, it's actually in the Mansion House Center at Memorial and Washington. I've seen a few people in there but it was completely empty when I walked by yesterday. I imagine they're banking on a lot of corporate team building groups.
^ Interesting.... is that escape room still at Mansion House? I could see a bit of synergy b/w those two as a kind of group outing destination.

As for the warehouse district, I read the restaurant that will open in the Last Hotel (next year iirc) will be topped by the lead chef now at Pastaria. Sounded like they have some great plans and it should be a draw; I recall that dining was supposed to be a hallmark of the developer's other hotel properties.
The Axe place is in such an odd location, I don't know how they're going to make it work but I wish them the best.

That entire mansion house complex down 4th is a mess. It's a shame the building owners don't do much of anything to make it attractive. There are spaces there that have been empty for years.

4th street gets a lot of foot traffic from hotel guests walking to Wash Ave.....the Mansion house buildings and retail spaces are dirty and not well kept, pretty embarrassing.
I kind of liked Robust, I used it often for business lunches. The food was not bad but it was overpriced.
I have the same feelings for Copia.
Hopefully some good news coming to Wash Ave.... the Manofsky Shoe building that hasn't been contributing to WashAve street activity recently was sold and is undergoing a bit of renovation. Looks like they are leasing the basement and first floor for retail and second flood for office.

Looks like the first floor may have a restaurant coming but it'd be great if some other retail that could compliment adjacent Star Clipper could come, too. Record shop or STL-Style downtown location would be great!
Thats awesome. Good news.
Shame on me for not doing it sooner, but I took the family to Turn for brunch over the weekend. Excellent and their space in the .ZACK building is great. One of the best breakfast experiences I've had in St. Louis. They just started dinner service and I'll be back in the near future. There is even a record store on the 2nd floor where my 6 year-old was enamored by the idea of cassette tapes...
Per STLMag it looks like something called BLT will be opening shortly in the old Kitchen Sink spot... tough location I think but hopefullu it finds success. The soup and salad joint on Pine St. also will open in June and Kimchi Guys in The Landing in July.
Alumni Saint Louis closes downtown, announces two new concepts

https://www.saucemagazine.com/a/57704/a ... ew-concept

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah... it was yet another St. Louis-themed eatery... in St. Louis. how many of those do we need, anyway?
Not sure if downtown is the spot but think the auto vending machine somewhere in the city if not in downtown but at least along the central corridor/I-64 or I-44 near Hampton or Kingshighway would fit well IMO. The form, the height, the steel is begging for an urban location.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... bba98.html
dredger wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:20 am
Not sure if downtown is the spot but think the auto vending machine somewhere in the city if not in downtown but at least along the central corridor/I-64 or I-44 near Hampton or Kingshighway would fit well IMO. The form, the height, the steel is begging for an urban location.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... bba98.html
Completely the wrong thread for this but...
has plans to turn the former Taubman Prestige Outlets mall into an entertainment destination
FORMER???? That thing failed already???? I don't think it's completely empty but did Taubman sell it?
I think it would be cool near Foundry. Especially with its post-industrial look. Honestly, I have thought for awhile how cool it would have been if Top Golf was somewhere near the central corridor. Especially on former warehouse land, maybe east of The Grove?

As for downtown retail. There's a boutique slowly popping up in Fashion Sq. I spotted a DNA logo on it, the boutique not the organization, so maybe it's a spin-off concept.
^ Didn't think about it, but car vending machine as a kinda of post industrial look around the Foundry or near the silos would be cool..

To bring this around this to downtown since I started going off topic with central corridor. Does anyone think the auto vending structure would work for say a Zip car/ car rental idea instead of new cars? Have it downtown near a metrolink/Amtrak for those residents who want to go carless but want the occasional convenience or the business traveler or visitor staying downtown who might not need a rental car for the whole trip but maybe a day or two here. Understand the cost structure would be a lot more for something like Zip car but tie it in with say a car rental such Enterprise who might want to do pilot on the idea before taking it into a pricier metro area.
dredger wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:31 pm
Does anyone think the auto vending structure would work for say a Zip car/ car rental idea
Honestly I prefer the street spots. If only for how fast and easy it is. And the downtown car rental shops are nice but I don't think they keep very many cars on hand.
Well this looks like a great addition to the U-Haul building on Tucker

Flament Co's the Place to Bring New York-Style Pizza Downtown

The couple's huge New York-style slices have developed a cult following in the Metro East, with a big following on Facebook. They come by their interest in the style of pizza honestly — Cory was born in Brooklyn and Brittany in Utica....
STLrainbow wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:41 am
Well this looks like a great addition to the U-Haul building on Tucker

Flament Co's the Place to Bring New York-Style Pizza Downtown

The couple's huge New York-style slices have developed a cult following in the Metro East, with a big following on Facebook. They come by their interest in the style of pizza honestly — Cory was born in Brooklyn and Brittany in Utica....
A block from Maurizio's??? And a block away from Start Bar, who actually has pretty good pizza.
Not a good sign for downtown retailing in general. Lord & Taylor is closing it's iconic 5th Avenue store in New York:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... spartanntp
^ department store blues.

Detroit, which has been adding downtown retail steadily the past few years is on the verge of a boom...

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/opini ... 659583002/

Think Apple, H&M, Zara, Sephora, Peloton and even Target.

Those are among the stores being courted by Bedrock, the development arm of Dan Gilbert’s Quicken Loans empire, according to two of the company’s top executives.

I think the city's central corridor has that potential as well in the coming years but again the issue is retailers such as that maybe choosing the Foundry or CWE and not downtown.... its really hard for gaining traction on a dense cluster of walkable retail here with everything spread out.
The old Tanner B's building on Pine has been sold. I don't have a Business Journal subscription, so I can't see who bought it.

https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... 0-000.html
The former home of Tanner B's Restaurant in downtown St. Louis has been sold for $290,000.

Hilliker Corp.'s Patrick McKay represented the buyer, Daniel Cook, in his purchase of the 7,762-square-foot building at 1113 Pine St. Hagan Properties represented the seller, M3 Investments. The building had been vacant for five years, Hilliker said in a release.

“I’m investing there because of the long-term growth potential I see in the downtown emerging market,” Cook said in a statement. “There are a lot of profitable redevelopment opportunities waiting, and I want to be to make sure I’m taking advantage of these opportunities as the time is now.”

Downtown St. Louis had a retail vacancy rate of 5.2 percent in the last half of 2017, according to a CBRE report. Though higher than the regionwide average of 4.3 percent, it's still lower than north St. Louis County (7.9 percent) and southern Metro East (6.2 percent). Mid-St. Louis County and West County continue to lead the St. Louis submarkets with low vacancies in retail, the CBRE report said.

Recently, Alumni Saint Louis, at 200 N. 13th St., announced it had closed in May in order to make way for renovations to turn the space into restaurants.

Cook's purchase of the Pine Street building marks his seventh real estate purchase in downtown St. Louis. His previous acquisitions include:

412 N. Tucker Blvd.
614 N. 11th St.
505 Washington Ave.
1008 Locust St.
1123 Locust St., first floor only
1101 Lucas Ave., second floor only
McKay represents Cook in those buildings' lease transactions, and McKay is currently marketing 412 N. Tucker as office space.
debaliviere wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:17 pm
The old Tanner B's building on Pine has been sold. I don't have a Business Journal subscription, so I can't see who bought it.

https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... 0-000.html
Just have to hit the stop loading button fast enough. :-)

Hilliker Corp.'s Patrick McKay represented the buyer, Daniel Cook, in his purchase of the 7,762-square-foot building at 1113 Pine St. Hagan Properties represented the seller, M3 Investments. The building had been vacant for five years, Hillier said in a release.
Nice. Cool little building. It's begging for a giant mural on the east side.
bwcrow1s wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:56 am
Nice. Cool little building. It's begging for a giant mural on the east side.
Or a new building on the parking lot next to it. :)

This is good news, IMO. I also did not know that Dr. Cook purchased 505 Washington as well.
Yeah! I'd love a new building on that corner. Just being realistic for the time being :-P

Yellow Tree Farms states they’ll be opening a pottery shop in the Monkey Building at 15th and Washington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk