Retail Rally: What's Next For Downtown St. Louis?

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
First unread post1271 posts
An H&M would go a long way to revitalize retail Downtown. When I look at that corner with Porano, I see sleek modern two story retail.

I'd rather do that as opposed to continuing to add to the CWE. Obviously, I'm an idealist and don't get to make choices, but I think if leadership spent a little time courting high profile retail to fill Downtown vacancies, it would go a long way not only for residents, but tourists and regional visitors as well.

Malls aren't going to last forever, and peppering bigger retail amongst local food, drink, and bespoke retail would create a really vibrant downtown. I would say we are mostly there with food and drink. But even as a functional neighborhood, we are very, seemingly, deficient in real, usable retail that enhances quality of life in Downtown.
Not sure if there's a separate Landing thread or not but I'll post it here. I walked around the Landing Sunday morning. It's much easier and nicer to get to now that the Arch Ground Wash Ave entrance is open. Not as visually direct as it should be but you don't have to go out of your way much. And really the point of the grounds reno was to get direct tourists to the arch, bt it still would have been nice to have a visually specific path to the Landing.

Anyway... "The Lou" took the place of Joey B's. Same vibe. There's a Mexican restaurant opening next door (to the South). They're currently building it. Kimchi guys (the old Drunken Fish spot, same owners) seems to be progressing. All the signage is up but I think they still have a lot of construction to go.
They're also building something at the corner of Memorial and Washington. Lots of vinyl plank flooring, wood plank walls, and black chainlink stalls set up. No idea what they're going for.
My sources tell me that there were more than a few downtown conventioneers, marathoners, and other visitors looking to buy a pair of gloves this weekend and absolutely nowhere to get any. Sad!
leeharveyawesome wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:58 am
My sources tell me that there were more than a few downtown conventioneers, marathoners, and other visitors looking to buy a pair of gloves this weekend and absolutely nowhere to get any. Sad!
This is why we need a Walgreen's/CVS. There's nowhere to get so many basic items. Culinaria can only carry so much.
STLrainbow wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:17 pm
^ you may be right for existing space... there probably should be some decent space in the new Lindell building but not sure if enough for an H&M. But tbh I was thinking for the Foundry, tho I guess that's Midtown and not CWE.
I have been on the same line of thinking as you. That one could end up in the Foundry.
It would be nice to see someone tear down the US Bank garage across from the convention center and build a garage with Walgreens/CVS at street level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
downtown2007 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:01 pm
It would be nice to see someone tear down the US Bank garage across from the convention center and build a garage with Walgreens/CVS at street level.
I like it.

The ground floor of the garage at Broadway and Locust (which once housed a Woolworth store) would work well too.
Downtown is going to require retail outfits that can absorb the dead times and the way higher than average theft.

It's going to require large chains basically, downtown at least.

EDIT: I don't mean to imply theft is worse downtown than elsewhere in the city - it's not - just ask any manager of Walgreens or Schnucks - but other areas of the city provide the chance to be more niche or, in other words, provide/sell things that thieves don't really want whereas that is not as feasible downtown for lots of reasons.
Any interest in the old Dubliner space? kbshapiro?

Very limited interest. The issue is how big the space is and how much work it needs to be modern/up to code. We'll find the right user eventually. Owner is being reasonable on rent/terms
Thanks for the update. Just curious since it seems interest in Wash Ave seems to be increasing.

I know theres a dave & Busters in Earth City however was curious on how any of you might feel about a Dave & Busters or something similar to that in downtown? I would think something like that would be a big draw not only for locals in the city but families that are coming to visit St.Louis including conventions. I would think the Landing be perfect for something like that or an anchor for possible Chouteau landing redevelopment.
St.Louis1764 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:48 pm
I know theres a dave & Busters in Earth City however was curious on how any of you might feel about a Dave & Busters or something similar to that in downtown? I would think something like that would be a big draw not only for locals in the city but families that are coming to visit St.Louis including conventions. I would think the Landing be perfect for something like that or an anchor for possible Chouteau landing redevelopment.
I have always thought this would be a great draw in STL city! Even an ESPN Zone would be pretty cool. I've been to one in NYC and that was a huge draw as well.
St.Louis1764 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:48 pm
I know theres a dave & Busters in Earth City however was curious on how any of you might feel about a Dave & Busters or something similar to that in downtown?
Give me Start Bar on a Thursday night.
But I don't think downtown could support it. Especially in the Landing. And I won't get too much into it but I think there would be a lot of police calls/responses to it.
What I'd like to see chain-wise downtown (even though the market is ready for some of this): a Taco Bell Cantina that's open late, a Chipotle, the Subway on 7th to stay open for dinner, Hard Rock to relocate within downtown, possibly TGI Fridays and Hooters to relocate as well (just into more unique/historic buildings).
Robust Wine bar to close on the 28th, blames lack of convention traffic.
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:20 am
That's an odd way of saying mediocre food and pretentious staff. And if anyone is wondering what Wash Ave restaurant traffic is like, Sen Thai has been packed since it opened and Mango does very well. Mizu does okay. Over / Under captures most of the Marriott Grand business.
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:20 am
Darn, I liked that place. Hopefully there's interest in the space.
aprice wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:36 am
And if anyone is wondering what Wash Ave restaurant traffic is like, Sen Thai has been packed since it opened and Mango does very well. Mizu does okay. Over / Under captures most of the Marriott Grand business.
Fake news, sir, Sen Thai is so crowded nobody goes there anymore.
STLrainbow wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:55 pm
Fake news, sir, Sen Thai is so crowded nobody goes there anymore.
Bailey's Range is so crowded, they stopped caring about bringing the correct meal to your table. I don't go there anymore.
Anyone know how the new-ish Crushed Velvet and Sliced Pint over in Downtown West are doing?
^^

Is the service at Bailey's Range that bad? Every time I have gone in the past (five or six times now) the service has been a little slow due to how many people are there, but we've always gotten our ordered dishes. The last couple times I have also seen a manager prowling around and checking up on everyone.

Maybe I've just particularly lucky with my meals there.
STL526 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:40 pm
Is the service at Bailey's Range that bad?
This was mostly late 2017 so I hope they've improved. It was a bit exaggerated but I did go 3 times in a row where they flat out brought me the wrong meal. Plus I had heard from others around the same time that service had been declining. It was also pretty easy for me to stop going, I was pretty burned out on it. The first three years I lived downtown, it was rare for me to go 2 weeks without going. Which should be taken as a compliment, really. I still recommend it to tourists. Overall, it leaves a good impression of Downtown STL.
What is the deal with the Snow Factory (rolled ice cream place by PI)? I know they opened right before winter, then closed for winter, but their sign says they're re-opening April 1, which is obviously incorrect.

The meteoric crash of the froyo fad, plus that place being unreliable really puts a kink in any kind of ice cream-ish plans.

Also, mostly unrelated to downtown, but I'll never understand the volatility of the frozen refreshment market (froyo, gelato, ice cream). It all rises and falls faster than the NASDAQ.
aprice wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:30 pm
STL526 wrote:
This was mostly late 2017 so I hope they've improved. It was a bit exaggerated but I did go 3 times in a row where they flat out brought me the wrong meal. Plus I had heard from others around the same time that service had been declining. It was also pretty easy for me to stop going, I was pretty burned out on it. The first three years I lived downtown, it was rare for me to go 2 weeks without going. Which should be taken as a compliment, really. I still recommend it to tourists. Overall, it leaves a good impression of Downtown STL.
My experience there has been pretty good. Rooster, on the other hand, has been hit or miss for me.
debaliviere wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:23 am
aprice wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:30 pm
STL526 wrote:
This was mostly late 2017 so I hope they've improved.
My experience there has been pretty good. Rooster, on the other hand, has been hit or miss for me.

Yikes. My experience with Rooster (both on Grand and Locust) has been pretty much the same as Bailey's Range. Good service but sometimes slow. Like I said, maybe I've just been lucky with my visits. I hope they can pull themselves together, if there has been a general decline in service.

I think it is pretty easy to get burned out with their menu though. Living Downtown and all the perks that go along with it is still very much a novelty for me but I have been trying to limit myself going out only two or three times a month. Luckily, I have a bit of a backlog of restaurants to go through :)