CityArchRiver

The design competition and remake of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, AKA the Arch grounds.
First unread post754 posts
My wife and I attended the Gateway Arch Foundation members new museum preview and buffet yesterday. Here are a few of my impressions and photos. They say the museum is about 95% finished.
1. Entrance is great. Spacious and bright with a greeting desk, restrooms and ticket purchase lines all ahead of security. Great view out the front toward the Old Courthouse. Wading pool is finished and filled. Stairs take you from level 3 to level 2 with the big floor map, and where the buffet was set up. Escalators were not on, but they take you straight from level 3 to level 1 where the museum starts. Elevator doors had glass panels like the Arch Pod transporter doors for a nice touch.
2. Museum ceiling was much higher than I expected, and therefore the exhibits were much larger than I expected. Lots of large video panels and screens in the 6 pods that make up the museum: Colonial St. Louis, Manifest Destiny, New Frontiers, Jefferson's Vision, Riverfront Era, and Building the Arch.
3. One of my favorite big screen exhibits was in Colonial St. Louis. It was a digitally created 3-D model of colonial St. Louis that they flew you through, as if viewing from a drone, through trees and back yards and stopping occasionally to show labels on key homes and buildings as you flew through the town.
4. There were lots of artifacts such as peace coins given to native Americans, tools used by settlers, and genuine Native American artifacts.
5. Many of the displays had a small bronze sculptured copy of the large item on display that you could touch. There was a large bronze model of the original Saarinen winning entry and small models of all the finalists with information about the submitters. Later they will add a display where they intend to rotate a few of the 150 entries a few at a time -- and they say some were pretty wild.
6. More interactive things for kids and adults including a game where you use a budget to buy what you need to get from St. Louis to the West Coast. When you hit go, it shows how far you got before you died because you forgot to buy a knife, say.
7. All in all -- not a life changing experience -- but much better at showing the key role St. Louis played in the Westward expansion, and why a monument belongs in St Louis.

Here are a few photos with a GoPro wide angle and a regular camera:
^Looks great! Thanks for the preview!
Gary, we disagree on football but you rule.
Nice little write-up in Architectural Digest:

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/sto ... on-project