SLU Hospital

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
First unread post154 posts
The tower crane is currently being assembled. Looks like they have the boom arm put together so far, so I anticiapte we'll see it rise over the coming days or week.

Correction: It appears this is just a really tall boom crane and not a tower crane.
^Ya, it's a lattice boom crawler crane. You can see the jib up in the air on the webcam right now, and a bit of the assembly was on the cam in previous days. I could see this being built without a tower crane. We'll find out soon enough.
With all the construction going on around the country, it's amazing that there's enough tower cranes to go around.
chaifetz10 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:07 am
Correction: It appears this is just a really tall boom crane and not a tower crane.
losers.
There will be 2 tower cranes going up in the coming months.
^ winners.
You'd think they'd have crane envy given that WUSTL has 3 up right now.
Steel has risen over the past week or two. The size should become more noticable once they get another floor or two up.

Side note, did anyoen else catch that Cardinal Glennon purchased the building across from them on Grand? I found a Biz Journal article from last May on it, but couldn't find any post here that shared the info. As long as they are trying to expand their campus, I'm ok with it. My fear is that they'll tear it down for parking or something though.
^ SE corner of Grand and Park? i've been wondering what the hell is going on with that place. it's an absolutely beautiful building but it's been deteriorating for years. was owned by a non-profit, i think. they really f*cked it up by closing up all the ground floor windows and slapping that massive staircase on the side. i have a feeling Cardinal Glennon just wants to demolish it as well. Does SLU control development this far south? if so it's as good as gone.
^^Because of how the steel is already rising, is a big tower crane really necessary? I don't think so.
^Probably not. But it's an impressive looking construction site anyway.
^^There will be 2 tower cranes going up by April.
^Boo yeah!
The base of one of the tower cranes is laying on the ground at the south end of the site, so we have that erection to look forward to soon. I expected it would be standing proud already, but better a little slower than expected than never.
As mentioned previously, there will be two tower cranes. One of which will be up by early May.
^ {Mike Shannon voice:] Get up, baby! Get up!
MattnSTL wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:46 pm
The base of one of the tower cranes is laying on the ground at the south end of the site, so we have that erection to look forward to soon. I expected it would be standing proud already, but better a little slower than expected than never.
That one is brand new. There has been one in place in the Northwest Corner of the existing structure for about two weeks now. I can see just the top of it when driving slowly down Chouteau and looking into the site. It is hard to see but it is there. So then I guess two bases will be in place before long! Great!
I've been looking at the pile drivers as I drove past on Grand and trying to get a look down into the excavation, but I'm not gutsy enough to look closely in traffic and I haven't had a chance to stop. (Or maybe I did but got distracted by something at the Grand Interlocking. Almost got a trifecta photo today. Technically did, actually. Just not a very good one.) Anyway . . .

That is a heck of a hole and that's going to be something when they get it done. Still frustrated about the demo, but . . . also kind of excited.
symphonicpoet wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:22 am
I've been looking at the pile drivers as I drove past on Grand and trying to get a look down into the excavation, but I'm not gutsy enough to look closely in traffic and I haven't had a chance to stop. (Or maybe I did but got distracted by something at the Grand Interlocking. Almost got a trifecta photo today. Technically did, actually. Just not a very good one.) Anyway . . .

That is a heck of a hole and that's going to be something when they get it done. Still frustrated about the demo, but . . . also kind of excited.
Is the site of the demo still just green space or is there going to be a building there? Can't recall.
As far as I know. Which is why I'm still frustrated and not just excited. I think I'd be a whole lot less frustrated if they actually needed to demo in order to build. But . . . I'm still excited anyway. Frustrated. But also excited.
Any thoughts on what could happen with the gargantuan lot just north?

SLU going to sit on it for another decade?
bwcrow1s wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:51 am
Any thoughts on what could happen with the gargantuan lot just north?

SLU going to sit on it for another decade?
North tower crane is going up today.