St. Louis Corporate Mergers, Acquisitions & Relocations

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
First unread post803 posts
They significantly expanded their retail footprint about a year ago with the purchase of Eagle Bank & Trust. Eagle was headquartered in Hillsboro, JeffCo and a lot of its locations were/are in South County and points south.

Auto finance is not a significant part of their business. I think its focus has been commercial lending and small business banking. The Eagle acquisition took its retail operation to a new level. It’s now the 4th largest retail bank (so excluding TIAA and TD Ameritrade) in St. Louis by local deposits and 6th largest in MO.

It’s definitely been a great growth story. And St. Louis could use a significant home grown bank.
BH North America Corporation, a Spanish-owned premium fitness equipment, bicycle and garage cabinetry company, is relocating its US headquarters from California to St. Charles, Missouri. The move brings 50 new jobs to the region.

Foust expects a 30-40 percent savings in overhead costs in Missouri compared to California.

BH North America is a subsidiary of the 109-year strong, family-owned, four generation-run BH Group based in Vitoria, Spain, which has operations in 65 countries around the world.

http://www.mexicoledger.com/news/201805 ... to-missour

Not a ton of jobs but it is nice to see someone relocating here. Hopefully more in the future.
That's great news, even if it's a small company. Doesn't relate directly to STL but AllianceBernstein is moving their HQ and most of its NYC staff from Manhattan to Nashville to reduce costs. Seems like there are opportunities to be had to attract companies looking for similar moves. Interestingly, St. Louis was mentioned in the article yesterday as a place that is attracting other financial companies (the context was more that it has already happened and that it may continue). But when I pull up the article today that blurb is gone:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/large-new- ... 1525207429
This article is relevant to the topic of mergers and acquisitions:

St. Louis in the Big Picture: Monopoly and the Capital Markets

It talks about changes in economic policy which has incentivized industrial consolidation.
MRNHS wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 1:30 pm
Doesn't relate directly to STL but AllianceBernstein is moving their HQ and most of its NYC staff from Manhattan to Nashville to reduce costs. Seems like there are opportunities to be had to attract companies looking for similar moves.
I recall a few years back leaders from Stifel and WFA etc were trying to make that kind of pitch for finance and fintech companies... don't know if that really ever evolved into any formal campaign though.
^NBC Nightly news had a very flattering segment on Pittsburg’s economy resurgence. One tech company has this large billboard up in SF.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/vi ... 0468163644
DistinguishedDarcy wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:49 am
This article is relevant to the topic of mergers and acquisitions:

St. Louis in the Big Picture: Monopoly and the Capital Markets

It talks about changes in economic policy which has incentivized industrial consolidation.
Yep, St. Louis hit hard by consolidation and didn't take long for Express Scripts HQ to go up for sale and who knows what hit KC will take on T-Mobile/Sprint deal

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... a3d2f.html
I sure wish Centene would locate these 5,000 jobs in St. Louis instead....

^ I would assume those 5,000 jobs are in part a relocation within the state from the buyout/acquisition of the California company that I can't recall at the moment as well as the fact that state probably has some hire requirements when completing claims for spending their state tax dollars. At same time wouldn't be surprised to see if those numbers referenced for California quietly become smaller as Centene grows its Clayton campus.
http://fox2now.com/2018/05/11/express-s ... dquarters/

Even though Express Scripts Is downplaying the situation and saying they’re committed to St. Louis, does anyone have a concern about the sale of their headquarters building? Is this a harvester of things to come down the road once the acquisition is completed and the synergies are found?
DogtownBnR wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:27 pm
http://fox2now.com/2018/05/11/express-s ... dquarters/

Even though Express Scripts Is downplaying the situation and saying they’re committed to St. Louis, does anyone have a concern about the sale of their headquarters building? Is this a harvester of things to come down the road once the acquisition is completed and the synergies are found?
It's this what ATT did with the tower downtown? Sold it, stayed for awhile then moved out?
^A cursory glance at the article would glean the information that the building was never owned by Express Scripts, but why not just make references to AT&T. I'm not saying the same might not occur, but it's usually good to at least gloss over the subject matter you comment on.
I’m starting to believe that companies gradually migrate to where a powerful young or middle-age CEO wants their family to live. Increasingly, that has been the coasts and the South. They move the HQ and the rest follows over the next 20 years if that person is CEO that long.

With regard to our weather, I saw everyone at last night’s Cards game in San Diego were wearing coats. A friend who was transferred to LA said he misses our warm summer late nights. Guess we party outdoors in shorts later here in the summer. Like Europe.

What city in Europe has weather most identical to ours? To address our weather reputation head-on, we need to find our European weather twin, and then label ourselves the Paris, or whatever, of American weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gary kreie wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 9:01 am
What city in Europe has weather most identical to ours? To address our weather reputation head-on, we need to find our European weather twin, and then label ourselves the Paris, or whatever, of American weather.
St. Louis is in a bit of an odd transitional zone between two types of climate zones, but matches up pretty well with Italy and most of the Balkans.
newstl2020 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:38 pm
^A cursory glance at the article would glean the information that the building was never owned by Express Scripts, but why not just make references to AT&T. I'm not saying the same might not occur, but it's usually good to at least gloss over the subject matter you comment on.
I did read it but didn't make it to the bottom apparently. I was reading on my phone. Thanks for the reply though to let me know my mistake. You are correct. It isn't the same thing.
St. Louis, the Bratislava of American weather.
captainjackass wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 2:59 pm
St. Louis, the Bratislava of American weather.
Ha! Vienna, which is very close to Bratislava, is more what I had in mind.

Believe it or not, this travel question is on Quora and claims to answer which cities in US and Europe have corresponding weather. The site says summers are hotter and winters are colder in the US than in Europe, so they list corresponding summer and winter cities of Europe. I would guess they are only considering temperature, not humidity.
Here is what they claim:

Atlanta - Andalucia
Boston - Venice in summer, Bucharest in winter
Chicago - Milan in summer, Kiev in winter
Dallas - the Middle East (Mecca) in Summer, Andalucia in winter
Denver - has an unusually wide daily temp range; warm, sunny days are similar to Madrid in summer and Milan/Como in winter, but nights range from summer's Bruges to winter's St. Petersburg
Detroit - Belgrade in summer, Oslo in winter
Houston - Andalucia (but hotter at night in Summer)
Las Vegas - the Middle East (Abu Dhabi daytime, Tehran at night) in Summer, Andalucia (or, during the day, Riyadh) in winter
Los Angeles - the Cinque Terre in summer, the Costa del Sol in the hot early Fall, the Greek islands/Italian coast in winter
Miami - just slightly warmer than Sicily in summer, but in winter you have to go beyond Europe to Dubai (or, at night, the Canary Islands)
Minneapolis - Belgrade in summer, worse than Moscow in winter
NYC - Barcelona in the summer, Berlin or Vienna in the winter
Philadelphia - Naples in Summer, Salzburg in winter
Phoenix - the Middle East (Abu Dhabi daytime, Baghdad at night) in Summer, Southern Italy or Spain in winter
Portland - Budapest in summer, Paris in winter
San Diego - Lisbon in summer, the Costa del Sol in the hot early Fall, the Greek islands/Italian coast in winter
San Francisco - Manchester in the cool and foggy summer, Porto's late Summer in the "Indian summer" of early fall, Sicily in winter
St. Louis - Andalucia in Summer, Brussels (daytime) or Innsbruck (night) winter
Seattle - Bristol, England, but with summers a bit closer to Porto
Washington, DC - Naples in Summer, Milan in winter

And, just for good measure:
Anchorage - Edinburgh in summer, Moscow (or worse) in winter
Honolulu - Sicily in summer, but you have to go beyond Europe in winter, when it's slightly warmer than Cape Verde
I would guess the closest to St. Louis in the Summer would be parts of central Iberia, perhaps a more humid version of Madrid.
You need to go towards Northern/Central Europe to find a winter equivalent.
The European city with by far the most similar climate to St. Louis is Volgograd. I'm not sure that will help though :)
The gulf of Mexico makes our Midwestern weather difficult to duplicate anywhere else in the world.
I love our weather. Milder winters than up north and milder summers than down south. Our spring and fall weather (well not this spring) is glorious.
moorlander wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:22 pm
I love our weather. Milder winters than up north and milder summers than down south. Our spring and fall weather (well not this spring) is glorious.
It's really great that you are able to put things in perspective, but I wouldn't call our winters nor our summers "mild"
^It was 106 degrees in Phoenix on May 6th. That's Springtime. So yeah, our Summers are relatively mild.
Historically they haven't been... but lately they've been pretty bearable/mildish... especially the winters, or at least it feels that way.
pattimagee wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:43 pm
Historically they haven't been... but lately they've been pretty bearable/mildish... especially the winters, or at least it feels that way.
I think the mild winters are going to be a continuing trend. The more days of the year that the gulf air overpowers the Arctic air the better imo