Crime Thread

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.
First unread post7249 posts
symphonicpoet wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:41 am
They do lose their license from time to time. Maybe sometimes they should. Other times it's really just pressure from folks that look different.

Further, small sample statistics don't really mean anything. It was the second shooting near the bar. This one was purportedly related to a dispute that began inside. If the bar knows what's good for them they'll keep the instigators out in the future. (For their own sake as well as others.) Was the first shooting related to the bar? I rather thought that one had been a driveby, which would make it really hard to pinpoint just who the trouble makers were. If the management is genuinely doing something wrong close it down. But there's not enough in this story for me to get that impression. And I'm very much of the impression that other things having nothing to do with the safe operation of a club can come into play.
Would you hold this position if it were a biker bar?
If there were multiple shootings at a biker bar next to my building, literally next to the parking lot of my building like the 4 shootings on Locust in the last few months (found a few shells walking my dog around there) I would be for both closing.
Shell casings from the last incident on Locust:

^Wow, do they start with a maker that says "#1" on it???
BellaVilla wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:16 am
Would you hold this position if it were a biker bar?
Yes, I absolutely would.
A veteran black officer teaches police how not to kill people
http://theundefeated.com/features/a-vet ... ll-people/
Violent crime down 11% this year, Property crime down 7%, but Homicides up from 32 to 40 with 12 in March alone.
^ I think you were looking at the March '18 compared to March '17 for those numbers; The drop through the 1Q was not quite as much

http://www.slmpd.org/crimestats/CRM0013-BY_201803.pdf

As for homicides, not just in the City but area-wide it seems like we've been hit with a lot of domestic killings this year... they're all sad but some of these like the infanticide were really tough to take. Just this weekend a guy shot his estranged wife and then himself in a car in a JeffCo parking lot with three kids in the back. I think she may have survived but how awful.

In other news, earlier this week some Lemay area hoosiers were caught stealing meat from Salt + Smoke and were dubbed the "Brisket Bandits." Now that's the kind of crime we can laugh a bit about.
^How cool is is that Reddit Hudson juts posted the above link from Reddit!!!

SLU hoops legend!
"A nightclub just west of downtown where two separate shootings injured several people in recent weeks will close temporarily until it meets security measures prescribed by city officials."

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... cbc11.html
KMOV - 3 arrested in connection with a string of car break-ins near Downtown

http://www.kmov.com/story/38000398/poli ... r-downtown
framer wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:39 am
"A nightclub just west of downtown where two separate shootings injured several people in recent weeks will close temporarily until it meets security measures prescribed by city officials."

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... cbc11.html
This the right move. I want to see this place stay open and thrive but steps have to be taken to assure the safety of patrons.
Update on Missouri Homicides

The upward trend in Kansas City continues.

Through April 26th of...
2014: 20 (24% of year total)
2015: 27 (24% of year total)
2016: 32 (24% of year total)
2017: 35 (23% of year total)
2018: 40

Estimating a year end total for 2018 based on 23-24% at April 26th will unfortunately bring them to 166-174 homicides for the year. A record for Kansas City.

In St. Louis

Through April 30th of...
2014: 44 (27% of year total)
2015: 55 (29% of year total)
2016: 57 (30% of year total)
2017: 53 (26% of year total)
2018: 47 (as of April 26th)

Estimating a year end total for 2018 based on 26-30% at April 26th will unfortunately bring us to 157 - 181 homicides for the year.
This falls under the crime thread (I guess) since it involves the typical and very frustrating topic of defacing/tagging. Just wanted to inform everyone of a good experience with MODOT. The Chippewa bridge over River Des Peres had this unsightly gang tagging on the southeast side of the bridge. It was very noticeable when coming down the hill eastbound on Chippewa from Shrewsbury. I called MODOT to have it removed at 1-888-ASK-MODOT (275-6636). A nice lady took down the info, identified the location and called a crew out to paint over it. I called mid-morning and it was painted over by rush hour. Not sure if this is common, but I thought that was amazingly fast for MODOT. Just wanted to pass that story on, since tagging is an epidemic in our region. Call it in if you see it! This happened earlier this week.
^^ Homicides so far this month have been far below the past several Aprils but I think we'll know soon enough whether this is the start of something more enduring (which seems to be occurring in a number of peers that also had seen a spike) or just a temporary pause that possibly could be related at least in part to the late-arriving Spring. Unfortunately, the past day or two have been awfully shooty (including a triple homicide in Spanish Lake and a North City homicide) so I'm not too optimistic.
After tonights incident at BPV, I really think Lyda, Jimmie, Chief Hayden, and Cardinals upper management should have a press conference tomorrow reassuring the public that they are committed to keeping the city safe. This has set the city back extensively, IMO. BPV will likely see a substantial hit.
^plus (semi?) automatic gunfire fest in South City (Benton Park/BPW/Soulard), haven't heard so much gunfire in my life as in these past two nights.
It's going to be one helluva summer.
Chalupas54 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:27 pm
After tonights incident at BPV, I really think Lyda, Jimmie, Chief Hayden, and Cardinals upper management should have a press conference tomorrow reassuring the public that they are committed to keeping the city safe. This has set the city back extensively, IMO. BPV will likely see a substantial hit.
I wonder if the only way the city officials will do something is if the Cardinals threaten to leave downtown. Since I know a number of people who no longer will go to sporting events downtown due to safety and wish they could bring their guns to the games.
Are more people carrying more guns really the solution?
^^ this is unfortunately a reality the city now has to face. Not joking when I say this, I know people in Chesterfiled that haven’t been to St. Louis in almost 5 years. They don’t even pass through on the highway-they avoid it on 270/255.

I’m actually moving back to St. Louis in a few weeks. I hope I’m not making a risky decision.
^ I think this issue is a reason why Cardinals attendance this year has dropped off noticeably, even considering weather and not making playoffs last 2 years
imperialmog wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:08 am
^ I think this issue is a reason why Cardinals attendance this year has dropped off noticeably, even considering weather and not making playoffs last 2 years
This is definitely a problem. Also, another thing that pissed me off was the extensive mocking of bike share. There was a legitimately fake image of a lime bike on bricks that was shared ** 50,000** times on Facebook, slamming St Louis. I’ve said it on here before, but we need a complete overhaul of the CVB. They’re worthless!
^ That and the fake news of the bikes dumped in the river. I'd go beyond CVB and toss out most of the officials in the area. Is there anyone with authority doing at least a competent job?

Then again the problem is this is exactly what the voters want. Why I see the only way regional fragmentation is resolved is if its imposed by force from the outside since in part the crime issue has created a lot of resistance to it.