Passenger, High Speed Rail in Midwest

All the ways we move people and things: trains, planes, automobiles, biking, walking, etc.
First unread post758 posts
aprice wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:39 pm
Thanks for the update as well.
Seriously, why say "up to 90 mph" and "speed limit of 90 mph" and then flat out say that there's a stretch with 110 mph. Not sure about you guys but every time I've taken this route, the train has reached at least 108 mph at some point. I've heard that from others as well. Anyway, I seriously doubt they'll cease the 110 mph sections. Unless they can drastically speed up other parts of the trip and/or 90 mph is that much more fuel efficient. From my understanding, they were actually going to add more 110 mph sections.
I think they meant for the sections that aren't already at 110.
I was on the train two weeks ago to go to Chicago. They are still using the old trains and it still takes 5.5 hours.

I would love to find out when they start using the new trains and when the time of the route is cut down.
matguy70 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:03 pm
There was one at Gateway Station Downtown today.
Yea I've been seeing those more as I cross 18th street every morning for work. They are usually facing west if that helps but I usually don't look down to see the ones facing east
mjbais1489 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:38 pm
I would love to find out when they start using the new trains and when the time of the route is cut down.
Wish I knew too. The Amtrak website shows no shorter times into next February, so I figure they don't know either.
Train related so putting this here.

I don't know much about this company but the trains look nice.

Dallas-Houston is the “most obvious” place for private passenger service, he said, but he also cited Charlotte-Atlanta and Chicago-St. Louis. “There are others that we’re evaluating,” Goddard said.

http://www.floridatrend.com/article/245 ... de-florida
They could certainly get some increased service if they took a different route than the current Amtrak. A Chicago - Champaign - Decatur - Springfield - St. Louis route (similar to one of the proposed High Speed rail routes) could definitely add more passengers. Especially for a Springfield - Champaign leg.
jshank83 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:20 pm
Train related so putting this here.

I don't know much about this company but the trains look nice.

http://www.floridatrend.com/article/245 ... de-florida
Could be mistaken, but I believe the Siemen built brightline passenger cars are what is being proposed to the fill the order of the failed bi-level cars for California and Midwest (including Lincoln and River Runner service). I wonder if that has any play in the thoughts of Brightline rep noting Chicago-St Louis corridor. With back to back orders you would have Siemen/Brightline able to bring capital cost of equipment down in the equation if you can get access cost to rail down at reasonable rate as well. The other option, with a couple different corridors you could move that capital expense to expand service that is succeeding and dial back if it doesn't work somewhere else.

The other aspect of FL brightline service is how much of it is a real estate play in and around their stations for which the parent company has some land holdings. Can see a real estate play in addition for Charolette-Atlanta service with two growing cities that might offer a future connection to Raliegh/Durham & growing rail service in Virginia. Tough to see as much real estate dollars to be made on the side with Chicago-St. Louis where St. Louis might be considered the weakest of the cities mentioned but also a place to buy really cheap as you develop a market.
chaifetz10 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 2:47 pm
They could certainly get some increased service if they took a different route than the current Amtrak. A Chicago - Champaign - Decatur - Springfield - St. Louis route (similar to one of the proposed High Speed rail routes) could definitely add more passengers. Especially for a Springfield - Champaign leg.
I wonder if they would try taking over the Amtrak STL-Chicago services.