Clayton: development Updates

Discuss new retail, dining, business and residential projects within the City of Clayton, the center of St. Louis County government.

Plenty of takeaways from that article. This parking lot between Central and Bemiston is for my money one of the best opportunities in the region. Perfect for a major national real estate company to come in and build spec office space with a major national hotel chain on top. I could see a development here being the biggest in Clayton fairly easily.
It's been extremely aggravating to see some very nice buildings in Clayton demolished while that parking lot across from the Justice center sits. Amazing retail opportunities. Would be nice to see one DC style 15 story building occupy the entire site. But then again, people on here tend to prefer skyscrapers b/c skyscrapers.
aprice wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:50 am
It's been extremely aggravating to see some very nice buildings in Clayton demolished while that parking lot across from the Justice center sits. Amazing retail opportunities. Would be nice to see one DC style 15 story building occupy the entire site. But then again, people on here tend to prefer skyscrapers b/c skyscrapers.
A DC style large block building would be excellent on this site as well and I echo your sentiments regarding demolished buildings etc. I think we have started to see (mainly kicked off by Centene) the beginnings of a sizable NIMBY push concerning development in Clayton. This site is IMO the least likely of many existing sites to garner push back from these groups should a developer want to come in a look at constructing a signature building while they still can. That was my main point. So yes, skyscrapers because skyscrapers, but strategically speaking I believe this to be an excellent opportunity for a major investor to build a large amount of sq footage with very limited opposition, one of the few remaining in the Clayton market.
Here is my quick write up of what’s going on in Clayton. I deliberately left off Apogee Tower since it’s dead and also did not mention the hotel proposed for the old police station since nothing has been submitted to the city yet.

https://nextstl.com/2018/01/clayton-dev ... view-2018/

A prime site at Forsyth and Bemiston is up for sale. Personally, I'd hate to see the PNC Bank building on the corner be demolished; it's classic, quintessential Clayton:

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... 1b27b.html

framer wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:46 pm
A prime site at Forsyth and Bemiston is up for sale. Personally, I'd hate to see the PNC Bank building on the corner be demolished; it's classic, quintessential Clayton:

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... 1b27b.html

Montgomery Site is in play as well. I’d expect an announcement there in next several months.
Maybe I'm naïve but...

I'd actually like to see the post office shrink their net footprint in Clayton by converting PNC into a new post office. Then put their much more substantial, much less architecturally relevant, and much more car oriented site on the market. Then move the more floor space intensive aspects of their operations to lower value real estate.

I fully admit I haven't worked out all the suitability issues with the site so if its not practical for a number of reasons then so be it, but from a surface level view it seems plausible.