St. Louis Lambert Int. Airport [airline/hub/operations/info]

All the ways we move people and things: trains, planes, automobiles, biking, walking, etc.
First unread post4601 posts
Quick look through the schedule release for Southwest. No new adds but Cancun goes daily again. They schedule might not be 100% loaded though.
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.co ... routes-ba/
One of their biggest markets on the Beijing flight is St. Louis to Beijing and there are $250 walkup fares in the market, compared to St. Louis to London at “$1600 or $1700” and Honolulu “were we to fly it, soon we will, $500.”
Couple of thoughts: surprised to hear STL - PEK is a popular route, must be a biz connection?

And $250 fares? That sounds crazy!
pdm_ad wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:59 am
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.co ... routes-ba/
One of their biggest markets on the Beijing flight is St. Louis to Beijing and there are $250 walkup fares in the market, compared to St. Louis to London at “$1600 or $1700” and Honolulu “were we to fly it, soon we will, $500.”
Couple of thoughts: surprised to hear STL - PEK is a popular route, must be a biz connection?

And $250 fares? That sounds crazy!
Plus many Chinese students/faculty at WashU and Mizzou would be my guess.
jshank83 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:57 am
addxb2 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 1:23 am
Someone correct me if my math or sources are wrong...

37 weeks of 4 flights per week. 15 weeks of 5 flights per week. 208 seats per flight.
Wow's 2-year commitment to St. Louis is roughly 92,768 seats.

16 weeks of 3 flights per week. 183 seats per flight.
IA 2-year commitment to Kansas City is roughly 17,568 seats.
WOW is 3x a week in winter.
Wow's 2-year commitment to St. Louis is roughly 86,112 seats then.
Updated Frequency spreadsheet for July. (new total)

Southwest does hit 800 weekly departures for the first time the last 2 weeks of June. Not all their frequency changes below happen the same week.

Not listing all airlines changes but here are a few notes.

Delta changes
+1 SLC daily (3) - first time I have seen it at 3. I only have been keeping track for a year though.

Southwest changes
-1 MCO m-th/sat/sun (4)(5)
-1 TPA Sat (4)
-1 MSY Fri (2)
+1 CHS Sat (2) - first time I have seen it at 2 for any day of the week.
+1 FLL Sat (3)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
3 Kings opens in T2 today. By gate E33.

we’re thrilled 4 Hands Brewing Company selected our Airport location as the only restaurant in St. Louis to offer City Wide on draft.”

https://www.flystl.com/newsroom/stl-new ... terminal-2
I was looking through the older posts and saw that the CPE has been consistently going down, except in 2014/15 it jumped back up. Can anyone explain why?
RuskiSTL wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:59 am
I was looking through the older posts and saw that the CPE has been consistently going down, except in 2014/15 it jumped back up. Can anyone explain why?
Landing fees are going down. The airport refinanced some of their debt at a lower rate so they are charging less to try to become more competitive. They also are going down because there are more passengers flowing through. They can charge the airlines less per person and still hit their total goals.

There might be more involved than that but I think that is the main reason.
RuskiSTL wrote:I was looking through the older posts and saw that the CPE has been consistently going down, except in 2014/15 it jumped back up. Can anyone explain why?
Probably because enplanements decreased in each of the preceding years (‘13 & ‘14) without commensurate decreases in expenses/overhead.
Arrived last night on a WN flight from Tampa and we used Gate E36. Way down there.

I overheard the pilots talking with the FAs about the lack of amenities at that end of the terminal. They were going on to HOU and weren't going to have enough time to grab something to eat. It looked like something was getting built so I hope they can fill that space out.
pdm_ad wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:22 am
Arrived last night on a WN flight from Tampa and we used Gate E36. Way down there.

I overheard the pilots talking with the FAs about the lack of amenities at that end of the terminal. They were going on to HOU and weren't going to have enough time to grab something to eat. It looked like something was getting built so I hope they can fill that space out.
Where did it look like something was getting built, as in more specifically?

And yea, I know it is slim pickings down there. Only a bar that I don't think it serves any food (but someone can correct me if I a wrong). I haven't been down there in a while though. It is kind of on an island. They used to have a bicycle cart thing that sold sandwiches where 3 kings went in. Maybe they will move it down to E34-40 now.
It always baffles me when I travel to smaller and comparable cities and their airports have fancy food courts with national chain restaurants. Amazing that Lambert used to be one of the 10 busiest in the country and a big food court was never built. By the same token, it baffles me that a large rental car garage was never built. It’s a joke that there are surface lots all over the area around the airport instead of one giant multi-level lot. It would be nice to see both of those added As part of any potential future upgrades.
jshank83 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:26 pm
Where did it look like something was getting built, as in more specifically?

And yea, I know it is slim pickings down there. Only a bar that I don't think it serves any food (but someone can correct me if I a wrong). I haven't been down there in a while though. It is kind of on an island. They used to have a bicycle cart thing that sold sandwiches where 3 kings went in. Maybe they will move it down to E34-40 now.
There were boards up right next to 3 Kings, not sure if they are still working on that or adding something else?
pdm_ad wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:01 pm

There were boards up right next to 3 Kings, not sure if they are still working on that or adding something else?
Ohh okay. Thanks. I thought to meant down by E34-40.
jshank83 wrote:
Only a bar that I don't think it serves any food (but someone can correct me if I a wrong).
That little bar across from the holding areas for those four gates doesn't serve hot food AFAIK, but does have a grab-n-go type fridge/cooler that has your typical "airport fare" sandwiches and other refrigerated snack/meal foods. At least it did in December, but I have no reason to believe that that's changed since then. But yeah, it's still pretty slim pickings down there unless you have time to eat in another part of the Terminal.

In other news: Lambert will be removing the Lindbergh Monocoupe that hangs above the east security checkpoint in T1 tomorrow (June 12) and will be returning it to the Missouri Historical Society so they can preserve it. Had a good run though: it's been at Lambert since 1979.

Wonder if they'll replace it with another plane or maybe commission another local art piece like they did for T2's main hall?
DogtownBnR wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:23 pm
It always baffles me when I travel to smaller and comparable cities and their airports have fancy food courts with national chain restaurants. Amazing that Lambert used to be one of the 10 busiest in the country and a big food court was never built. By the same token, it baffles me that a large rental car garage was never built. It’s a joke that there are surface lots all over the area around the airport instead of one giant multi-level lot. It would be nice to see both of those added As part of any potential future upgrades.
There was a food court just inside security, where concourses C and D split. That area is now in the closed section.
Trololzilla wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:12 am
jshank83 wrote:
Only a bar that I don't think it serves any food (but someone can correct me if I a wrong).
That little bar across from the holding areas for those four gates doesn't serve hot food AFAIK, but does have a grab-n-go type fridge/cooler that has your typical "airport fare" sandwiches and other refrigerated snack/meal foods. At least it did in December, but I have no reason to believe that that's changed since then. But yeah, it's still pretty slim pickings down there unless you have time to eat in another part of the Terminal.

In other news: Lambert will be removing the Lindbergh Monocoupe that hangs above the east security checkpoint in T1 tomorrow (June 12) and will be returning it to the Missouri Historical Society so they can preserve it. Had a good run though: it's been at Lambert since 1979.

Wonder if they'll replace it with another plane or maybe commission another local art piece like they did for T2's main hall?
Would love to see them bring back the Spirit of Saint Louis look alike.
Apparently the WOW flight yesterday got diverted to MidAmerica because of the storms.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/WOW ... /KBLV/KSTL
Anecdotal, but my dad flew WOW to Iceland in order to connect on a flight to Germany so he could visit home. Apparently, even the Saturday night flight at about 11 PM out of STL was completely full, so it's good to see the flights to Europe so packed (and even being used by connecting passengers).
Trololzilla wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:17 pm
Anecdotal, but my dad flew WOW to Iceland in order to connect on a flight to Germany so he could visit home. Apparently, even the Saturday night flight at about 11 PM out of STL was completely full, so it's good to see the flights to Europe so packed (and even being used by connecting passengers).
What did he think of WOW? just curious on peoples opinions who have flown it so far out of here.
Not really too sure, just relaying what I heard on the short phone call he made to confirm that he made it safely. He'd be the type of person to complain if something was bad enough, so I suppose that's a good sign that he didn't. Though, it did almost sound as it was a bit cramped on the flight - simply because of how full it was. I'll be sure to ask him what his real thoughts about the flight were when I get a chance.
I am sitting in Frankfurt Germany right now as I type after flying from STL to KEF to FRA. WOW Air all the way through.
First flight Sunday 10:55pm departure from STL T2 Gate E29. Firstly, T2 is packed on Sunday eve... not just WOW but Southwest. Only middle security was open and the line was literally out the door... however TSA was moving people fast.

We checked in 3 hours befor at WOW and it was busy already but moving. The desk had 3 agents working and they were great. Friendly, professional and dressed very nice.

At the Gate (side note.. The Publick House looks great) we were greeted with the gate agent. Friendly and very nice again. The gate area was crowded because the flight was completely full. We boarded 45 minutes before time and we had priority boarding (paid for that only 9 bucks when we booked our tickets and well worth it.

That leads me to input this: WOW can be cheap is you are. We bought RT tickets from STL to FRAnkfurt and we paid for all upgrades XXL Seats, Priorty Boarding, Meals to/from, and included insurance... per person it was 1400.00 RT ...this being still very good for a flight to Germany.

The Planes and onboard experinece... WOW! The planes were new (as all WOWs planes are) and spacious. We had the XXL seats BUT the regular seats have JUST as much or maybe a inch or more leg room better than the last American and Iberia planes we flew to Europe in January . The flight attendants (both male and female) were dressed to impress, friendly and courteous. We have the "BIG SEATS" onthe way home which is like WOWs business class... 2 seats together (instead of 3) and they looked really nice and comfy. The plane from STL to Reykjavik was sold out max. The Captain gave updates 3 times through the flight and was so nice. Overall the flight was fantastic and better than most airlines I have flown domestically or international.

In Reykjavik we had a gate assignment and went to immigration and onward to boarding our WOW flight to Frankfurt. Easy connection. Flight was almost full. Again excellent staff on board and Captain kept everyone informed. The food is airline fare and the menu is enough to choose from. all costs though but nothing really over 9 bucks.

In Frankfurt.... this was the best part of connecting in Reykjavik... no immigration is done. You entered Europe in Iceland and don't have to do again until leaving EU.

STL TO KEF only 6.5 hour. left 30 minutes behind because of luggage loading and landed in Reykjavik on time.
KEF to FRA only 3 hours.

Overall... we spent only 10 hours to get to Germany. if we flew through any USA hubs ... our travel time is usually 15 hours or more.

Conclusion... we love WOW. The clean new planes, the professional and friendly onboard staff, the ease of connections, the seat leg room on both planes in all classes, and quickness of flights was great. Iceland Air better watch out, because this company Is invading their once monopoly in Iceland and becoming very popular. WOW has a much bigger prescense already in the EU for sure.

Next month we fly STL to Tel Aviv on WOW.

Also, one last note... There was a group of Germans returning to Franfurt from STL and several individuals that were German returning home from STL. In addition, by listening to the crowd in STL befor boarding, I would say at least 60 to 70percent were not staying in Iceland...they were connecting from STL to other EU cities. interesting.
matguy70 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:06 am
I am sitting in Frankfurt Germany right now as I type after flying from STL to KEF to FRA.
Thanks for all the update on things. Let me know how your return trip in the big seats are. I have heard good things so far, the only negative I have heard is sometimes they screw up your pre-chosen seat assignments. My personal negative is no in flight entertainment but I guess I could just load movies on my phone or tablet and have basically the same thing. Also no reward miles program but if the price is cheap enough it would offset it.

For some reason Southwest has a 10:55 flight to either PHX and runs it out of E31 while WOW is using E29. Maybe they want everyone in the same area since they are the last 2 flights out but it seems weird they run them next to each other when Southwest has tons of other gates. But it is good to hear it is busy late.

Another question for anyone. How crazy are mornings in T2. My wife has a flight tomorrow at 7 am (she does have a list flyby lane status) and she usually gets there about an hour before the flight. I assume she will still be okay but I have seen a lot more chatter on how crazy mornings are so I thought I would ask if anyone else has flown out around then lately.
There is IFE for a price. You can rent an iPad with a few options. The person in front of me ordered it and it appeared a bit sparse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ldai_phs wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:52 am
There is IFE for a price. You can rent an iPad with a few options. The person in front of me ordered it and it appeared a bit sparse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea.. I don't count that since I might as well bring my own for free with what I want on it. I figured it didn't have much of a selection. I guess WOW also won't have power outlets but that's not a huge deal either. I have a portable battery.