St. Louis Lambert Int. Airport [airline/hub/operations/info]

All the ways we move people and things: trains, planes, automobiles, biking, walking, etc.
First unread post4768 posts
Whatever happened to the daily flights to Cancun that Southwest was supposed to start in March? I remember the news coming out saying they were increasing their flights from once a week to daily but it never happened and I don't recall hearing anything about it.

http://www.kmov.com/story/35987848/sout ... -to-cancun
MRNHS wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 2:29 pm
Whatever happened to the daily flights to Cancun that Southwest was supposed to start in March? I remember the news coming out saying they were increasing their flights from once a week to daily but it never happened and I don't recall hearing anything about it.

http://www.kmov.com/story/35987848/sout ... -to-cancun
It was for March only. It did run daily during March. I was there on a Thursday waiting for a flight when the flight from Cancun landed.
jshank83 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 1:27 pm
Southwest announced they will fly to Hawaii from Sacramento, San Jose, San Diego, and Oakland. I guess it's good we have service to all of those now. Since they don't do redeyes, it will be interesting to see how they try to funnel people back east. I'm sure west coast travelers are their focus though. Maybe we will get lucky and get a direct (one stop) flight thru one of them.
I'm torn about STL>California>Hawaii direct on a 737.
dweebe wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 4:48 pm
jshank83 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 1:27 pm
Southwest announced they will fly to Hawaii from Sacramento, San Jose, San Diego, and Oakland. I guess it's good we have service to all of those now. Since they don't do redeyes, it will be interesting to see how they try to funnel people back east. I'm sure west coast travelers are their focus though. Maybe we will get lucky and get a direct (one stop) flight thru one of them.
I'm torn about STL>California>Hawaii direct on a 737.
Why? Because it's not a widebody? I've heard a lot of people complaining about this, but never really understood it. I've done Newark-Lisbon many times on United's 757. Maybe there's something that I am missing here, but as a passenger is there any difference?
The wide bodies just tend to be more sophisticated planes for a better flight experience.

Higher ceilings, more overhead space, quieter, better cabin pressurization and air circulation systems, multiple cabin doors for faster entrance/egress, more rows for faster entrance/egress, more bathrooms, one more space and air in general - even in the seat pitch is the same.
A few notes from the April commission meeting.

1. There followed a discussion regarding the financial impact of opening the remaining nine (9) gates in the D Concourse. The Chairperson advised that the cost is estimated at over $5 million, plus the additional costs of maintenance on the walkways and cleaning of the concourse, and that at the present time it would not be feasible without a commitment from an airline to utilize those remaining gates.

2. Due to the increase in passenger numbers, Southwest Airlines is exploring the expansion of the baggage claim area in Terminal

3. This three-year Lease covers 5,746 sq. ft. in the Airport Office Building to be used for an additional flight simulator. This leased space is adjacent to space currently leased by Boeing, which also contains a flight simulator. The Lease contains a 60-day no-fault cancellation provision. Revenue to the Airport will $63,493.30 annually, with payments to begin upon the completion of Boeing's renovations to the leased space.

4. Rents for signatory airlines decreased 7.7%. Rental fees are based on the landing fees and as those landing fees are reduced, the rental rates will also decrease. This will potentially attract additional airlines and other entities to the Airport.
symphonicpoet wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 7:24 am
In my 1992 schedule 844 is a one stop direct to Frankfurt via JFK. I'm pretty sure that's actually the first flight I ever road, aboard an L-1011 at that time. (I have a picture of the plane and I know the route. The only thing in question is the number. And it's about got to be 844 at least to NY. Could have been something else after that.) I'm a little surprised that's the only continuation i can find via JFK, but I'm sure things shifted around a lot seasonally.

What on earth would they have been doing with a 47 on the STL-JFK route if not continuing . . . somewhere? Maybe they continued through St. Louis to the west coast or Hawaii? (I know they did that on some flights at some points. Can't really think of any other reason to put a widebody on that route.)
Nice shot!

You are correct that the flights for the most part would continue onward to the west coast or HNL, I flew SFO - STL back in 1996 on a 742. During winter they would run one from STL - SJU on the weekend then that aircraft would continue on to JFK.

I checked the July 1997 schedule again and there were only 4 flights to/from STL using the 742:

STL - JFK : 10:25a - 1:56p Flight #16 operating on Mon/Thurs
STL - HNL : 12:15p - 3:36p Flight #1

JFK - STL : 8:35a - 10:15a Flight #3 operating on Mon/Thurs
HNL - STL : 7:50p - 8:33a Flight #2
AA is dropping Trans States as a regional operator next year. Guess that means less 145s on AA. Curious how it will impact things here at Trans States. I think they will only fly for United now. Their other subsidiaries still fly for others.
jshank83 wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 12:17 pm
AA is dropping Trans States as a regional operator next year. Guess that means less 145s on AA. Curious how it will impact things here at Trans States. I think they will only fly for United now. Their other subsidiaries still fly for others.
Does Trans States Holdings still have that order out for 55 MRJ's? I wonder if that will affect the order. (Or the options.) I've actually been kind of excited about the MRJs. (Even if I'm not at all sure which of TS Holdings several airlines will ultimately get them.)

In any case, that's quite a bummer.
Updated my Load Factor Spread sheets.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

2017 (International thru October)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Didn't take much time to compare to last January except that Southwest LF on STL-PDX went from 71% to 88%. Alaska cut the route for January (it comes back March-May, then is cut for good) and Southwest obviously benefited.
Most Southwest routes were up except for some of them with increased capacity.

^Wikipedia still has them as ordering the MRJs. Not sure if it is still accurate though.
Nonstop service to JAX announced today on Frontier.

Also, quick question. Has WOW been advertising at all in St Louis? Was in KC a few weeks back and there are Icelandair billboards EVERYWHERE.
Chalupas54 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 10:17 am
Does anyone else seem to think this is an odd choice/route selection for Frontier to make?

I can see a more tourist/gulf beaches destination and or Orlando/Ft Lauderdale in FL but Jacksonville just seems odd fight for Frontier where as a Southwest route can at least pull in more connecting traffic through STL to fill seats.
dredger wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:26 pm
Chalupas54 wrote:
Does anyone else seem to think this is an odd choice/route selection for Frontier to make?

I can see a more tourist/gulf beaches destination and or Orlando/Ft Lauderdale in FL but Jacksonville just seems odd fight for Frontier where as a Southwest route can at least pull in more connecting traffic through STL to fill seats.
My company has folks that flies to and from Jacksonville frequently. I would have preferred this be on Southwest but we are definitely glad to have something direct! I hope the frequency picks up.
dredger wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:26 pm
Chalupas54 wrote:

I am a little surprised Frontier picked it up, I thought it would be Southwest. It does have the highest PDEW not served from STL. (although it is served from Mid America on Allegiant). I have a feeing Southwest will add it in the near future. They have been adding routes with less daily passengers from here than Jacksonville. I figured they would wait til spring but maybe they will add it sooner now. When Frontier added Raleigh at KC, Southwest quickly added it also then backfilled its start date to match Frontier. I guess we will find out on the 31st when Southwest extends their schedule.
Has Southwest ever had a nonstop between STL and JAX? I always thought it was American that had one that wasn't every day of the week and they got rid of it like 5 or 6 years ago.

The two times I've gone to Jacksonville, I've flown to MCO and driven up.
dweebe wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:33 pm
Has Southwest ever had a nonstop between STL and JAX? I always thought it was American that had one that wasn't every day of the week and they got rid of it like 5 or 6 years ago.

Not that I am aware of, but I haven't been keeping track as long as others on here. Routes that Southwest used to fly that they don't anymore (that I can remember) are Grand Rapids, Albuquerque, Louisville, and Orange County (although they still fly it around the holidays). Others probably know a couple more. Memphis? Birmingham? It seems like back when I had a layover in Louisville, that Birmingham was another option but I am not 100% sure.
jshank83 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:44 pm
dweebe wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:33 pm

Not that I am aware of, but I haven't been keeping track as long as others on here. Routes that Southwest used to fly that they don't anymore (that I can remember) are Grand Rapids, Albuquerque, Louisville, and Orange County (although they still fly it around the holidays). Others probably know a couple more. Memphis? Birmingham? It seems like back when I had a layover in Louisville, that Birmingham was another option but I am not 100% sure.
I think Birmingham and Louisville were cut at the same time. The first was the last of a series of cuts in Birmingham as Atlanta was entered into the network, similar to how a lot was cut from Albuquerque over time as Denver grew in the system. (also both suffered from end of Wright-amendment restrictions with Love Field). Interesting St. Louis was the final cut they had and since then many new routes from here were added, so could see both of these return in time since there is a lot more connecting opportunities from here now.

Louisville has that close-in issue where but could return as a feeder route. Grand Rapids was part of a reshuffle of flights there where it shifted from 1xSTL and 3xBWI to 3xMDW and 1xBWI. There are more valid times to there from here and vice versa now even with not having the nonstop anymore due to this. Cant rule this one out returning if they need capacity from there or if trim a MDW flight. and Orange County is a slot issue that if they had would certainly fly. Question on that is would another LA basin airport work? Though maybe them adding a 2nd to San Diego was a way to deal with it.

Jacksonville seems to be very likely to see them add soon, That is the most likely next new route from them based on their patterns.
Apparently, Southwest started STL-CHS early (May 7). I didn't do a frequency chart for May because their extension was for April and May then the next one was for June. I figured April and May was the same.

STL-CHS is running mon-thursday and Saturday. No Friday or Sunday until the June extension when it goes daily (and when I initially saw it starting). Not sure when the backfill happened.

EDIT:

Changes from April to May on Southwest. (I guess I need to start checking every month)

STL-Austin 3x on Fri/Sun (up from 2x)
STL-Charleston Added Mon-Thurs/Sat
STL-Dallas 4x on Sat (up from 3x)
STL-Ft. Lauderdale 2x all days (was only 2x on Saturday)
STL- Ft. Myers 2x Monday-Fri/Sun (was only 1x)

116 Mon-Friday
87 Sat
115 Sunday
My vote for SWA to add a flight from St Louis is Cincinnati. Delta charges a ton for this flight. Also agree on Birmingham as well. That would be a good market to add.
kbshapiro wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:56 am
My vote for SWA to add a flight from St Louis is Cincinnati. Delta charges a ton for this flight. Also agree on Birmingham as well. That would be a good market to add.
STL-CVG has come down a bunch in price. It is like $170 round trip now (like you said it used to be closer to 300 or 400). They lowered it about the time southwest started up service there. Maybe to try to keep them from starting the route.
Southwest ceased flights from STL nonstop to Birmingham in 2015. They also, at thatsame time, cut nonstop Birmingham to Dallas. SWA said that overall O&D in Birmingham was not warranting the flight schedules. I would like to see this service reinstated.
I've seen a fair amount of tweets lately of people complaining that T2 is really hot (A/C not working or not working well) Anyone know what is going on with that?
WOW is flying to India and St. Louis will be one of the US cities it will be offered from (With a stop in Iceland, obviously). Long flight but $199 each way promotion.

https://www.benzinga.com/pressreleases/ ... ia-iceland

They also extended their schedule looks like it runs 3x over winter to Iceland. It also looks like they are changing the departure time to 4:10 pm which puts in you Iceland at 4:30 am.

Outbound M/W/F
Inbound Sun/Tues/Thurs

They must be overnighting the plane here during winter so they can use the same crew both ways.
T2 always gets really hot late afternoon during hot weather. It may be worse right now, but I've definitely roasted sitting there waiting for a plane. All that glass.
jshank83 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:35 am
WOW is flying to India and St. Louis will be one of the US cities it will be offered from (With a stop in Iceland, obviously). Long flight but $199 each way promotion.

https://www.benzinga.com/pressreleases/ ... ia-iceland

They also extended their schedule looks like it runs 3x over winter to Iceland. It also looks like they are changing the departure time to 4:10 pm which puts in you Iceland at 4:30 am.

Outbound M/W/F
Inbound Sun/Tues/Thurs

They must be overnighting the plane here during winter so they can use the same crew both ways.
I am not seeing anything less than 450/500 one way.