Northwest Plaza- St. Ann

Discuss new retail, dining, business and residential projects within St. Louis County, including Chesterfield, Riverport, Earth City, Westport and more.
First unread post165 posts
If it's not too contaminated, it would be a nice place for a farm.
^You love the thought of turning old malls into farmland!

While cool to think about. The idea spits in the face of just about every logical business case analysis one could apply to the re-use of both Jamestown Mall and Northwest Plaza.
^ And that case is? Where is demand for, well, anything? Office space? Light manufacturing? Retail? Residential? In the case of Northwest Plaza and Jamestown Mall, these only work with subsidies that would lure business/people there who would otherwise simply use existing space in the metro area.
Is the building still open? I want to skate it.
Alex Ihnen wrote:
Office space? Light manufacturing? Retail? Residential?

any of these would cost far less and create more tax revenues than making the land upon which these malls are currently located "farms". Do you know how expensive it would be to actually get these plots of land back to tillable, well-draining farm ground? What other farmers near these areas would work the ground?

Again, cool idea yet complete make believe.

Also, while I know you think both of these areas are forgone conclusions, have you ever actually been to Jamestown Mall or Northwest Plaza or the areas surrounding them? In the case of Jamestown Mall, there is a thriving black middle class in that area. I'm sure they'd like to see something happen with the mall other than a farm.
I don't know. Sure, maybe a farm is impractical, but the never ending argument that whatever goes there must generate the most tax revenue doesn't reflect what's best for the region. Of course people near the mall want to see a movie theater, Whole Foods, etc. - that doesn't mean it's gonna happen.

And yes, I've been to both malls. There's nothing more irritating that someone simply concluding that you must not have actually visited some place if your vision for that place is different than theirs...
ttricamo wrote:
Alex Ihnen wrote:
Office space? Light manufacturing? Retail? Residential?

any of these would cost far less and create more tax revenues than making the land upon which these malls are currently located "farms". Do you know how expensive it would be to actually get these plots of land back to tillable, well-draining farm ground? What other farmers near these areas would work the ground?

Again, cool idea yet complete make believe.

Also, while I know you think both of these areas are forgone conclusions, have you ever actually been to Jamestown Mall or Northwest Plaza or the areas surrounding them? In the case of Jamestown Mall, there is a thriving black middle class in that area. I'm sure they'd like to see something happen with the mall other than a farm.

Unfortunately, the issue is that their is already of saturation of retail, office, and so on in part to the various TIF's to simply build more retail boxes. Nor are their people flocking to these malls. Otherwise, their wouldn't even be this discussion.

Do I see tillable fields at Northwest Plaza or Jamestown? Not by a long shot. But I also think their is a place for viable and substantial organic truck farming in urban cores where space is becoming rapidly available and going mostly unused. I also this as far less costly then some people might imagine and constructive use of the tons by tons of green waste/yard clippings/etc generated daily.

But to the point that I take from Alex. What will it hurt if we finally admit that retail/commercial buildings surrounded by sea of asphalt and built with a shelf life of few decades get bulldozed for once?
Should the China Hub legislation pass, I see constructive reuse of NW Plaza being much more conceivable, and market demand potentials shoudl help us understant the best potential opportunities for this site and the buildings therein. However, in the absence of such potential, there's little to be done here. I'd say we should be patient and see how things develop...

But until then, it sure would be cool if they'd re-open Tilt in the NW Plaza basement.
gone corporate wrote:

But until then, it sure would be cool if they'd re-open Tilt in the NW Plaza basement.

Word up. There was no better place to play Mortal Kombat or Cruisin USA.
Can't help to think that demo of the mall is past due. Their is just too much retail square footage. However, I would tweak the last proposal with mixed use residential rather then more box stores.

St. Louis developer offers plan to revamp Northwest Plaza

http://www.stltoday.com/business/column ... 578e1.html

I would even support the same for Jamestown mall but would suggest that even a suburban subdivision would be better then box stores at the location
St. Louis TIF Commission last week approved the $33 million TIF proposal for the $100 million project. I heard that a Menard's is slated to be one of the big box stores.... hopefully there is not a Home Depot and Lowes across the street.
roger wyoming II wrote:
St. Louis TIF Commission last week approved the $33 million TIF proposal for the $100 million project. I heard that a Menard's is slated to be one of the big box stores.... hopefully there is not a Home Depot and Lowes across the street.

Home Depot is across St. Charles Rock Road from the old mall. Lowes is about a mile west on St. Charles Rock.
^ good grief. Which do you all prefer for our next sports team.... "Saint Louis TIFs" or "Saint Louis Cannibals"?
^I like "The Hammers."
Looks like Save-A-Lot going to open a new HQ at Northwest Plaza

https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... louis.html

The discount grocery chain will add 64 jobs with its move to the $106 million development.