Beaumont Telephone Exchange - 2654 Locust Street

Renovations and new construction in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
Looks like the name is the corner is "Jefferson connection". Could project name, great looking mid rise. The proposal is looking more and more solid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chriss752 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:18 pm
I included a better map in my story that I wrote. Seems odd that earlier today, a brewery was planned. I remember reading but is not non-existent in the Post Dispatch article. It is not the "micro breweries". Anyway, my story includes images if the Shipping Container thing down in Tulsa.

https://www.buildingstlnews.com/the-blo ... ly-by-2020
looks like this has been updated with a hotel rendering
framer wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:53 pm
Here's the same view today:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6342072 ... 312!8i6656
A ten story mid rise hotel with urban feel going to be nice addition along Jefferson Ave... I also believe the higher rate rooms will face east towards downtown & the Arch. Believe it should be a pretty good view looking back towards the arch if you can get on the higher floors. The cheaper or your out of luck because were pretty full tonight rooms will give a you great view of the monolithic ATT exchange building though.

Someone will correct me but is the plan to Jefferson a full on interchange with I64/Hwy 40 in both directions once the city finally moves forward with demo of the 22nd street interchange? This location with the easy freeway access, Wells Fargo Securities nearby and future NGA not too far away looks like a no brainer for hotel now that someone has already has proposed it.

The other thought that ran through my mind with Framer's posting of Google street view is that I believe McKee's northside original or initial proposal included/floated a north south streetcar along Jefferson Ave once upon a time. Don't believe they ever did any renderings of such and can't recall the basic alignment but believe it made a cut back to the east or west for a better metrolink connection instead of going into south city.
Not sure if this has been mentioned—the NW corner of Locust and Jefferson, where Boxyard is going, is the birthplace of T.S. Eliot. There's a plaque there.

Would be really cool if there was a restaurant called 'A Cooking Egg' or 'Dans le Restaurant' (courtesy Google, I'm not that literate.)

https://brycecaster.com/stl-101/58-birt ... -ts-eliot/
It would be nice if they honored him in some way. This quote is my favorite.

"It is self evident that St. Louis affected me more deeply than any other environment has ever done...I consider myself fortunate to have been borne here, rather than in Boston, or New York, or London." -T.S Eliot.

^^There's a quote for some Amazon leverage
Of course he moved along to Boston, New York, and London and never really came back. Like the city dwellers he wrote about in "The Dry Salvages" he turned his back on the strong brown god and forgot. He built his bridge and never turned back.

To further quote Elliott, from "The Hollow Men":

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

Anyway, yes, I would be well pleased to see some mention or some reference. He wrote some embarrassingly awful stuff, but also some of the most splendid stuff ever set to paper or spoken by human tongue. I might or might not take Shakespeare to my desert island, but I would have to take at least a part of Elliott's poetry.
It is interesting to see how Locust was when Eliot was young.

http://tseliot.com/a-life-in-pictures/ph_card_002_alip
Signs are up around Beaumont.
Office and retail spaces on the northeast corner of Jefferson and Locust are moving quickly.
goat314 wrote:Image
My issue with this is that there is zero chance these roads ever look this nice. Ever. They need to add in potholes, faded lane striping (and the visible old striping that's there from old traffic patterns) and everything else for these renderings to look realistic! :roll: :lol:
addxb2 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:44 am
Street trees have been removed in front of shipping container lot.
Signs are up around Beaumont.
Office and retail spaces on the northeast corner of Jefferson and Locust are moving quickly.
Crews were removing a bunch of street trees last week over numerous blocks of Locust, so I'm not sure that's related to this project. There are now tons missing over a big stretch, from at least 22nd to Compton.

Edit: I see the reason for this is mentioned in the Tire Mart building thread.

chaifetz10 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:26 am
My issue with this is that there is zero chance these roads ever look this nice. Ever. They need to add in potholes, faded lane striping (and the visible old striping that's there from old traffic patterns) and everything else for these renderings to look realistic! :roll: :lol:
Don't forget the debris from various car crashes that never gets cleaned up at these corners with few pedestrians and frequent 40-50mph traffic: parts of bumpers, grills, etc.
:lol: So true!!

Part of the hotel staff training—yeah, I'm a "Hotel Impossible" junkie—should be to get the staff and general managers in the habit of using the CSB twitter account to ensure front bumpers and broken side mirrors are cleaned up.

I know....that's quite the ask as its hard enough to train staff to see dust bunnies and chipped paint.
A little background and renderings.

http://alivemag.com/new-downtown-st-lou ... d-2020-21/