2019 Predictions

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.
Since this year comes to an end, might as well start early for next year.

Here are my 20 predictions for the new year.
1. A Major Market Correction happens pushing back projects and cancelling some smaller projects.
2. Centene talks about future buildings.
3. Shaw Park Apartments and Forsyth Pointe break ground.
4. Koplar unveils some details about the Kingshighway and Lindell Tower.
5. Jefferson Arms finally begins.
6. AC hotels in Clayton and Central west End break ground
7. A Historic Rehab project and infill is announced in Central West end (inside knowledge)
8. 3201 Morgan Ford begins
9. Twitter/Squarer announce a Downtown St. Louis Office
10. Railway Exchange Building Redevelopment gets underway (they are gutting the Olive street lobby currently).
11. Chemical Building begins redevelopment process.
12. Downtown West receives a proposal for some infill.
13. AT&T Building receives a redevelopment plan, but construction won't start till 2020 at the earliest.
14. Jefferson Connector's Hotel and Boxyard break ground
15. Some details on Two Cardinal Way get out.
16. BJC unveils their planned building at Taylor and Forest Park (Ambulatory Care Center according to ConstructforSTL)
17. Koman's Cortex project get's underway while another residential building is announced in Cortex.
18. Midtown sees a sizable residential project.
19. Lewis Reed barely holds onto his Board of Alderman President seat.
20. Murders decrease further.
BONUS: NextSTL's redesign finally arrives

I didn't state the obvious about the Jefferson interchange or the MLS Stadium construction that will result in the loss of the 22nd street interchange since those are bound to happen.
City/County merger effort begins
^ I for one would forgo everything else if we could get city/county merger or at the very least the city reentering the county.
- 300 S. Broadway resurfaces (Maybe more of a wish than a prediction)
-Twitter's presence is announced and is bigger than we first thought.
- The Dome gets some nice cosmetic renovations & the CVC actually gets some advertisers to plaster the outside of the building after the XFL2STL becomes official.
-The Zoo reveals hints of their plans on the old FP Hospital site.
-Developers start to look for significant opportunities near the MLS stadium site.
-While there is a market correction, the economy continues to boom. As a result, we see 3 big ($50M+) residential projects announced in 2019.
just a FYI, if you look at 2018 Chris is very wrong on his predictions :)

Ill start with the politics

1- State Senator Nasheed wins the Board of Alderman president race
2- Jeffery Boyd loses BY A LOT in his 22nd ward re-election
3- STL is awarded an MLS team
4- BOA pass all the tax breaks outlined last month and work out a lease that the ownership group would own the stadium if it defaults on the lease
5- County/City Merger process starts with Police and Health Departments
6- NGA gets delayed...again (i think we are at 2023 completion now- this one pushes it back to 2025)
7- I get a new job
8- City finishes 2019 with <150 homicides
9- major project in downtown west is announced
10- Trump and/or a family member get charged with a few federal crimes.
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:29 pm

Ill start with the politics

1- State Senator Nasheed wins the Board of Alderman president race
2- Jeffery Boyd loses BY A LOT in his 22nd ward re-election
3- STL is awarded an MLS team
4- BOA pass all the tax breaks outlined last month and work out a lease that the ownership group would own the stadium if it defaults on the lease
6- NGA gets delayed...again (i think we are at 2023 completion now- this one pushes it back to 2025)
7- I get a new job
8- City finishes 2019 with <150 homicides
9- major project in downtown west is announced

10- Trump and/or a family member get charged with a few federal crimes.
I like making outrageously big predictions. I count 13 of mine that I can see happening with ease and two of them seem to overlap yours (bold words), the others will be amazing if they happen.
chriss752 wrote: 1. A Major Market Correction happens pushing back projects and cancelling some smaller projects.
2. Centene talks about future buildings.
3. Shaw Park Apartments and Forsyth Pointe break ground.
5. Jefferson Arms finally begins.
6. AC hotels in Clayton and Central West End break ground
7. A Historic Rehab project and infill is announced in Central West End (inside knowledge)
8. 3201 Morgan Ford begins
9. Twitter/Square announce a Downtown St. Louis Office
11. Chemical Building begins redevelopment process.
12. Downtown West receives a proposal for some infill.
16. BJC unveils their planned building at Taylor and Forest Park (Ambulatory Care Center according to ConstructforSTL)
17. Koman's Cortex project get's underway while another residential building is announced in Cortex.
20. Murders decrease further.
I guess we will see but my first point is already coming true so wa-wa-waaaa. Not even 2019, so not good on my end. As for your Trump prediction, I see that happening with Kushner and Donald Jr. playing a big role. With that said, I would throw in Trump's resignation.
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:29 pm

Now that is BOLD prediction. As much as I'd love to see it, I think if any movement happens on the CityCounty front it's going to come from the State Legislature. There have been some rumblings there over the last year or two about the dysfunction in St. Louis.

I feel like any potential merger of municipal PDs in the County with the City PD would lead to a firestorm of (mostly unfounded) criticism. I could see a Health Department merger being a bit more palatable though.