2019 Predictions

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.
Since this year comes to an end, might as well start early for next year.

Here are my 20 predictions for the new year.
1. A Major Market Correction happens pushing back projects and cancelling some smaller projects.
2. Centene talks about future buildings.
3. Shaw Park Apartments and Forsyth Pointe break ground.
4. Koplar unveils some details about the Kingshighway and Lindell Tower.
5. Jefferson Arms finally begins.
6. AC hotels in Clayton and Central west End break ground
7. A Historic Rehab project and infill is announced in Central West end (inside knowledge)
8. 3201 Morgan Ford begins
9. Twitter/Squarer announce a Downtown St. Louis Office
10. Railway Exchange Building Redevelopment gets underway (they are gutting the Olive street lobby currently).
11. Chemical Building begins redevelopment process.
12. Downtown West receives a proposal for some infill.
13. AT&T Building receives a redevelopment plan, but construction won't start till 2020 at the earliest.
14. Jefferson Connector's Hotel and Boxyard break ground
15. Some details on Two Cardinal Way get out.
16. BJC unveils their planned building at Taylor and Forest Park (Ambulatory Care Center according to ConstructforSTL)
17. Koman's Cortex project get's underway while another residential building is announced in Cortex.
18. Midtown sees a sizable residential project.
19. Lewis Reed barely holds onto his Board of Alderman President seat.
20. Murders decrease further.
BONUS: NextSTL's redesign finally arrives

I didn't state the obvious about the Jefferson interchange or the MLS Stadium construction that will result in the loss of the 22nd street interchange since those are bound to happen.
City/County merger effort begins
^ I for one would forgo everything else if we could get city/county merger or at the very least the city reentering the county.
- 300 S. Broadway resurfaces (Maybe more of a wish than a prediction)
-Twitter's presence is announced and is bigger than we first thought.
- The Dome gets some nice cosmetic renovations & the CVC actually gets some advertisers to plaster the outside of the building after the XFL2STL becomes official.
-The Zoo reveals hints of their plans on the old FP Hospital site.
-Developers start to look for significant opportunities near the MLS stadium site.
-While there is a market correction, the economy continues to boom. As a result, we see 3 big ($50M+) residential projects announced in 2019.
just a FYI, if you look at 2018 Chris is very wrong on his predictions :)

Ill start with the politics

1- State Senator Nasheed wins the Board of Alderman president race
2- Jeffery Boyd loses BY A LOT in his 22nd ward re-election
3- STL is awarded an MLS team
4- BOA pass all the tax breaks outlined last month and work out a lease that the ownership group would own the stadium if it defaults on the lease
5- County/City Merger process starts with Police and Health Departments
6- NGA gets delayed...again (i think we are at 2023 completion now- this one pushes it back to 2025)
7- I get a new job
8- City finishes 2019 with <150 homicides
9- major project in downtown west is announced
10- Trump and/or a family member get charged with a few federal crimes.
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:29 pm

Ill start with the politics

1- State Senator Nasheed wins the Board of Alderman president race
2- Jeffery Boyd loses BY A LOT in his 22nd ward re-election
3- STL is awarded an MLS team
4- BOA pass all the tax breaks outlined last month and work out a lease that the ownership group would own the stadium if it defaults on the lease
6- NGA gets delayed...again (i think we are at 2023 completion now- this one pushes it back to 2025)
7- I get a new job
8- City finishes 2019 with <150 homicides
9- major project in downtown west is announced

10- Trump and/or a family member get charged with a few federal crimes.
I like making outrageously big predictions. I count 13 of mine that I can see happening with ease and two of them seem to overlap yours (bold words), the others will be amazing if they happen.
chriss752 wrote: 1. A Major Market Correction happens pushing back projects and cancelling some smaller projects.
6. AC hotels in Clayton and Central West End break ground
7. A Historic Rehab project and infill is announced in Central West End (inside knowledge)
9. Twitter/Square announce a Downtown St. Louis Office
16. BJC unveils their planned building at Taylor and Forest Park (Ambulatory Care Center according to ConstructforSTL)
17. Koman's Cortex project get's underway while another residential building is announced in Cortex.
I guess we will see but my first point is already coming true so wa-wa-waaaa. Not even 2019, so not good on my end. As for your Trump prediction, I see that happening with Kushner and Donald Jr. playing a big role. With that said, I would throw in Trump's resignation.
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:29 pm

Now that is BOLD prediction. As much as I'd love to see it, I think if any movement happens on the CityCounty front it's going to come from the State Legislature. There have been some rumblings there over the last year or two about the dysfunction in St. Louis.

I feel like any potential merger of municipal PDs in the County with the City PD would lead to a firestorm of (mostly unfounded) criticism. I could see a Health Department merger being a bit more palatable though.
I would like to add two predictions to my list...
21: Grand Center-Midtown area receives a proposal for infill.
22: Eric Greitens announces that he is running for governor again (oh lord here we go :? ).

Below are my other predictions...
chriss752 wrote: Since this year comes to an end, might as well start early for next year.

Here are my 20 predictions for the new year.
1. A Major Market Correction happens pushing back projects and cancelling some smaller projects.
4. Koplar unveils some details about the Kingshighway and Lindell Tower.
6. AC hotels in Clayton and Central west End break ground
7. A Historic Rehab project and infill is announced in Central West end (inside knowledge)
9. Twitter/Squarer announce a Downtown St. Louis Office
10. Railway Exchange Building Redevelopment gets underway (they are gutting the Olive street lobby currently).
13. AT&T Building receives a redevelopment plan, but construction won't start till 2020 at the earliest.
14. Jefferson Connector's Hotel and Boxyard break ground
15. Some details on Two Cardinal Way get out.
18. Midtown sees a sizable residential project.
19. Lewis Reed barely holds onto his Board of Alderman President seat.
BONUS: NextSTL's redesign finally arrives

I didn't state the obvious about the Jefferson interchange or the MLS Stadium construction that will result in the loss of the 22nd street interchange since those are bound to happen.
^ I think Chriss is already has his correction after this past month.

City Development Predictions for 2019, small but meaningful wins in part to NGA full steam ahead and some help from Square/Jack Dorsey despite St Louis/region/state continued pitiful performance on economic development and taking care of fundamentals such as education and roads, infrastructure. Limited labor supply will prevent the over the top prediction

1. Koman will not only start CORTEX development but put Cupples X back up for incentives after WWT commits to bigger downtown presence
2. Wexford will break ground on next building, 4200 Duncan believe, but believe it is in part to Microsoft quietly increases its presences as Square looks to downtown.
3. I see a ATT proposal as well but it will include parking structure and led by Enterprise Car Rental/Taylor family (after they secure MLS team and announce groundbreaking on new stadium). Some more political infighting and push back as plan will include using part of gateway mall in parking plan.
4. BPV/DeWitt quietly buys out 300 Broadway. Nothing much happens but does keep another developer from building with decent views into Busch stadium and gives them some breathing room to go ahead with Two Cardinal Way
5. Forest Park Forever will put forth plan to pay for loop trolley tracks & wires to be extended further into park & add a couple more trolley's.
6. St Louis Community College will float RFP for some of its Forest Park Campus property/surface parking lots.
7. Foundry goes back to mixed use/residential in next phase but no hard ground breaking date. Same with Armory when it comes to phase II. Koman/Wexford/BPV get the action in the coming year
8. Lawrence group comes forward with Mid town/Grand Center residential infill around its hotel.
9. On the quiet side, but Green Street's will pick up some more tenants for its North City industrial development after announcing financing to spruce things up a bit as well as down on south side industrial
10. Missouri continues to restrain tax credits whether it be historic, brownfield, etc. and downtown boutique hotel market getting built out (plus Old Harry & Jefferson connector hotel) so out of three downtown biggies will only see Railway Exchange, a partial development on Jeff Arms, and Chemical will continue to languish as other smaller projects are built out over the next year

The county doesn't much different for the new year to me. The only real prediction, the county picks up USDA West and lands the 700 or jobs for some of the underutilized govt space.

Centene/Clayco will continue to power through their Clayton CBD development and will see another infill whether it residential or office and some off shoot such in the inner burbs such as The Boulevards. Continue build out in Chesterfield along I64 - around Chesterfield mall as the area is redefined.

But not much more as region retail is over built and not enough mixed used/apartment projects to around to Crestwood and or Jamestown mall will continue to stay quiet. For that matter, interest rates and volatile markets means that single family residential development will be relatively tame to bring it around to Chris point.
I don't have full access to article but would it be fair to say this might be Biz Journal's take on the year ahead?

https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... s_headline

After a year marked by page-turning developments in St. Louis business — from acquisitions of local giants Express Scripts and Monsanto to the evolution of the Cortex Innovation Community — what sort of follow-up will 2019 have in store?
dredger wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:49 pm
I don't have full access to article but would it be fair to say this might be Biz Journal's take on the year ahead?

https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... s_headline

After a year marked by page-turning developments in St. Louis business — from acquisitions of local giants Express Scripts and Monsanto to the evolution of the Cortex Innovation Community — what sort of follow-up will 2019 have in store?
It's just the stories they wrote about in 2018 that may happen in 2019. There are some bits here and there about potnetial things but nothing mind blowing. It;s basic stuff we know about and is basically a recap story of what to look forward to this year.
Atlanta and Cincinnati are scheduled to get their own Transit X systems by 2020, with St. Louis as another potential market soon to come, with them having told me “the economics of this system look VERY good.” I believe 2019 will be the year the ball starts to get rolling on this project.

Thanks to its affordability, it will be built privately and tickets will be about the same as MetroLink.

Here is a new article about it:
https://www.cityscene-stl.com/news/an-a ... zGg1eJFfME