St. Louis selected to host 2019 National Oktoberfest

Got the skinny on upcoming events and fun things to do? Don't be shy...
Thought this was pretty cool (news story):
The best of German food and beer will be found in St. Louis as it hosts Oktoberfest in 2019.

The North American Society of German Culture and Heritage announced today Oktoberfest will be be in St. Louis October 4 through October 6. The location has not been determined yet.

The event will be family-friendly and will feature award-winning brewers of German-style beer. It will include games and rides for guests of all ages. The main event will be in a large tent filled with Bavarian decorations.

“We want to bring the Munich Oktoberfest experience to this side of the pond,” Board President Martin Howell said in a statement. “We evaluated a number of host cities from Washington, D.C. to Seattle, but St. Louis’ deeply-rooted German history and central Midwest location made it the perfect destination for our premium event. St. Louis is also located within the German Triangle, an area defined by the points of Milwaukee to the north, St. Louis to the southwest, and Cincinnati to the southeast.”

The organization named Jared Opsal of St. Louis to take charge of hosting the three-day festival next year.
Sounds like a super cool and super fun event, and I bet it'll be pretty successful. Hopefully if it is, STL can maybe come up with its own large, annual, authentic Oktoberfest (as has been suggested via the Saintoberfest topic).

Thought it was neat that the organizers recognized and factored in STL's fantastic German heritage, too.
In the name of all that is right, please don't let it end up in Chesterfield.
Ugh... I now have a sinking feeling that it might well be in one of STL's "illustrious exurbs"...
Well, Jared Opsal (the host-to-be) describes himself as a "City of St. Louis resident and supporter". I think we're safe.

More info:

http://americanoktoberfest.com/latest-news/
That's reassuring. Hopefully he can drum up some support from local businesses and institutions (particularly those with German heritage) to help in some way. Could be a nice way to get the whole community involved and be a good segue into an independent St. Louis event, should such a path be desired.
Wasnt Jared the original founder/president of the Downtown Neighborhood Association? I imagine it will end up somewhere Downtown
I just hope it's not a ticketed event. That's why UCBC's Oktoberfest has been far superior to Soulard or any of the others. Keep it open and inclusive.
this is not just for 2019, this is the first annual of many to come and the goal of making it a longer event then just 3 days
Jared is hoping for 200,000 attendance for year 1.

as for location- the goal is downtown and now its just up to City Hall not to be a roadblock.
I say Grant"s Farm. Parking at old Crestwood Plaza and have trams.
I think it would be better to put it somewhere that other small businesses can profit. Close to hotels, bars, restaurants, and public space. Downtown makes the most sense.
dbInSouthCity wrote: this is not just for 2019, this is the first annual of many to come and the goal of making it a longer event then just 3 days

as for location- the goal is downtown and now its just up to City Hall not to be a roadblock.
I think this has big potential; anything approaching Cincy's Zinnzinati Oktoberfest would be great.
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:17 am

Is there any extra 0 in there? Their own website mentions tens of thousands. "The organizers anticipate tens of thousands of attendees over the festival’s three-day period making the event a significant tourism driver for the city in 2019."

200,000 sounds like an insane amount of people, especially for year 1.
mjbais1489 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:40 pm
Wasnt Jared the original founder/president of the Downtown Neighborhood Association? I imagine it will end up somewhere Downtown
That is correct and he is/was a downtown resident and committed advocate. i was his downtown neighbor for several years.

Regardless, this event has a ton of potential.
I just hope this doesn't get turned into "AB InBev's Oktoberfest USA brought to you by Michelob Ultra". I can see them throwing a ton of money at this which organizers would have a hard time turning down. I would rather they be left out of it completely.
gopherlou wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:49 pm
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:17 am

Is there any extra 0 in there? Their own website mentions tens of thousands. "The organizers anticipate tens of thousands of attendees over the festival’s three-day period making the event a significant tourism driver for the city in 2019."

200,000 sounds like an insane amount of people, especially for year 1.
I agree, that number sounds insane. I wonder how "200,000" is actually counted. Is each day counted separately?
cumulative 3 day total, and no error in my number....title sponsorship is going for over $150,000.
This could really be cool - Hope it is promoted and executed correctly and does not turn into a bomb or drunk hoosier fest

I would like to see St. Louis embrace its German heritage a bit more like Milwaukee or Cincinnati, I have always hear people mention the French heritage but beyond the street names, what is really French around here?

We could use another beer hall as well - UCBC is great, but really contemporary and Hofbrau Haus is a drive and bit touristy - That old firehouse on Lindell or the old powerhouse that is rotting on Locust would be great - I would settle for just a really good restaurant or maybe G&W expanding to a full service grocer/deli/bier garten somewhat akin to what Viviano's on the Hill
^I think the German heritage is better known and more obvious, but it's gotten quiet lately. (It is getting a little more distant, rather like the French heritage did a couple generations earlier.) There's real French stuff and people of French extraction, but . . . they all speak English now. Much like the Germanish-Americans. (Which would be me, by the way. Good helping of German along with a little French and a more recent dollop of Slovak.) You can see the French in the architecture if you know what to look for. In some of the colonial remains. In a few local traditions. (Mostly more on the outskirts now and not in town per se.) But the German is pretty dang clear too. In the street names, architecture, traditions, family names, religion, and so forth. Heck, the symphony was started as a German choral society. But yes, this is a good thing. Might have to practice my polka music.
beer city wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:50 pm
This could really be cool - Hope it is promoted and executed correctly and does not turn into a bomb or drunk hoosier fest

I would like to see St. Louis embrace its German heritage a bit more like Milwaukee or Cincinnati, I have always hear people mention the French heritage but beyond the street names, what is really French around here?

We could use another beer hall as well - UCBC is great, but really contemporary and Hofbrau Haus is a drive and bit touristy - That old firehouse on Lindell or the old powerhouse that is rotting on Locust would be great - I would settle for just a really good restaurant or maybe G&W expanding to a full service grocer/deli/bier garten somewhat akin to what Viviano's on the Hill
Fully agreed - the "cultural infrastructure" of the city is much more German than French (or even Spanish, who do not seem to have left any lasting cultural heritage around here, even though they ran the city for half a century, from its founding up to Napoleon's recovery of the Louisiana).
I noticed recently that they placed a street sign saying "Bismarck Street" on either Ann or Shenandoah, it's visible from the intersection with S 7th. I wonder if this is part of a broader effort to recover some of the original Soulard German street names, which were mostly changed during WWI. I haven't been to the Soulard SRG for a while and I'm sure this is something that was discussed there
Yes, some German street names are coming back.

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/ger ... i#stream/0

7th and Lami is where the Bismarck one is.
The Mayor wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:26 am
Yes, some German street names are coming back.

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/ger ... i#stream/0

7th and Lami is where the Bismarck one is.
Thanks for the article and for the correction. Happy to see that this is a city-wide thing and not just in Soulard.
Ah, but only in vanity plates, essentially.
Downtown location selected - Soldier's Memorial area bound by Pine/Tucker/Market/14th. Main tent is estimated to hold around 2,000 people.

Some more information and renderings:
http://americanoktoberfest.com/
https://gazellemagazine.com/raise-glass ... rfest-yet/