5 Downtown West Buildings to get rehabbed for $32 Million

Downtown construction activity, including hotel projects, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc.

A Kansas City developer is proposing a $32 million commercial development across the street from the Schlafly Tap Room in Downtown West.

Matt Abbott, of Abbott Properties in Kansas City, wants to rehab five unoccupied buildings in the block bounded by Washington Avenue and Locust, 21st and 22nd streets, according to a city economic development agency.

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local ... user-share
Looks like it will be a good project, but what's up with the "green space" preservation?
Downtown West is sizzling with development
add this to Tire Mart $26M apartment revo, Jefferson Connector project, MLS stadium, Union Station, Twain Financial, Monogram+Field Foods grocery.
^ Good times in DTW for sure. This is an exciting project, though like the Goat said, I too am a bit perplexed by the green space proposal.

MLS city board vote is today, btw.
Well in the short term I will definitely take the activated green space over the current overgrown lot surrounded by rotting sidewalks or *shutters* a surface parking lot. The area still has plenty of empty lots to build upon for the next 20 years of growth, and when the area is more built out in a couple decades I'm sure the numbers will make sense to build on the greenspace.
Rendering. I like it.

Can we please put a halt to the Container Architecture gimmick now?
I think there won't be any residential here but I like the project. Maybe the green space is a a placeholder for future development. Also, wasn't this the site for that Factory?
That rendering looks a little cartoonish. Do they really intend to do away with the alley that runs through the middle of that block?

I'm in favor of any owner that would take better care of the green space on the NE corner of this area (21st and Washington).
Black02AltimaSE wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:23 pm
That rendering looks a little cartoonish. Do they really intend to do away with the alley that runs through the middle of that block?

I'm in favor of any owner that would take better care of the green space on the NE corner of this area (21st and Washington).
The site plan shows the alley (St. Charles) ending about halfway through the block and will primarily be a driveway for the parking lot. On another note, JEMA is the architect.

chriss752 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:09 pm
I think there won't be any residential here but I like the project. Maybe the green space is a a placeholder for future development. Also, wasn't this the site for that Factory?
I don't believe a factory site was ever chosen. I understood that as they just wanted to find a building or build something in this general vicinity.
the whole fashion thing is funded by DowntownSTL inc, their boundary stops at 18th, so i doubt this factory will be west of 18th if they want DSI money to help
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:53 pm
the whole fashion thing is funded by DowntownSTL inc, their boundary stops at 18th, so i doubt this factory will be west of 18th if they want DSI money to help
Interesting. Hopefully they put it into a building then unless they want to build on a parking lot but it's all speculation.