Changes at Wells Fargo

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
I think most associate Wells Fargo with Downtown but it's technically in Midtown so I'm placing this here. From today's paper, it appears that Wells Fargo is emptying out two of it's older buildings and placing more employees in the other buildings around their campus. It also sounds like hundreds of more jobs are coming too and St. Louis is likely to continue to play a big roll for Wells Fargo for the foreseeable future. Could be an opportunity to finally redevelop the corner of Jefferson and Market into something resembling a city.

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local ... e2d44.html
It would be really nice to see some streetscape retail retrofit on their campus. Especially with all of the changes going on on each side of Jefferson just to the north and the changes going on on Locust.
Another odd thing about their campus, there's a ground level passageway / gateway in their building that aligns with Pine St even though Pine never extended west of Jefferson. I wonder if they planned a driveway there and never put it in. Would be a cool continuation of the street grid if the connected Pine to Beaumont there. Preferably as mostly pedestrian brick lane like Beaumont is.
A few years ago I talked to a guy that worked there and said that the brutalist building nearest Market & Jefferson has been vacant for a while and needs asbestos abatement. Not sure how much truth there is/was to that but that building does seem kind of sleepy when I pass by.
aprice wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:13 pm
It would be really nice to see some streetscape retail retrofit on their campus. Especially with all of the changes going on on each side of Jefferson just to the north and the changes going on on Locust.
Another odd thing about their campus, there's a ground level passageway / gateway in their building that aligns with Pine St even though Pine never extended west of Jefferson. I wonder if they planned a driveway there and never put it in. Would be a cool continuation of the street grid if the connected Pine to Beaumont there. Preferably as mostly pedestrian brick lane like Beaumont is.
A few years ago I talked to a guy that worked there and said that the brutalist building nearest Market & Jefferson has been vacant for a while and needs asbestos abatement. Not sure how much truth there is/was to that but that building does seem kind of sleepy when I pass by.
Bright minds think alike lol. After reading the article this morning I opened up Google Earth and was looking over what I'd change about their campus and just about everything you said was what I had thought of. It does appear that Pine moves a bit west of Jefferson but then stops at what looks like some HVAC stuff. I'd love to see Pine extended through and I think their garages, especially the one at Olive and Jefferson would be a prime place for some retail expansion on the first floor. I'd like to see some of those surface lots built on too. WF has a massive garage across Market that could likely absorb some of that surface parking.

Those two on the northwest corner of Jefferson and Market are the two they are vacating, and if the asbestos issue is true then hopefully they'll just knock them down and then maybe a hotelier could put a distinctive hotel and conference center that WF would surely use (and maybe even some future soccer fans).
I've always liked the mid-century corner building. I hope it stays. Don't see why it couldn't be adapted as a hotel.

^ Anyone have a pic of the second unoccupied building referencef? I'm a bit unclear.

I'm generally fine with what's there North of Market if it can be redeveloped but what I really hope happens is the massive parking zone on the SW corner where the hotel used to be gets redeveloped in an ideally mixed-use manner. MSD HQ across the street kinda sucks but not sure what can be done about that. Anyway, looks like there is some good potential for the Jefferson/Market intersection to become much more vibrant down the road.
I'm still bummed about losing the Holy Cross Lutheran Church For the Deaf on Beaumont.

https://www.builtstlouis.net/central-co ... -deaf.html

STLrainbow wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:28 am
^ Anyone have a pic of the second unoccupied building referencef? I'm a bit unclear.

I'm generally fine with what's there North of Market if it can be redeveloped but what I really hope happens is the massive parking zone on the SW corner where the hotel used to be gets redeveloped in an ideally mixed-use manner. MSD HQ across the street kinda sucks but not sure what can be done about that. Anyway, looks like there is some good potential for the Jefferson/Market intersection to become much more vibrant down the road.
These are the two.

So after reading the article again, and mostly clarifying from the photo caption at the top, it looks like it's just the two brutalist buildings. Which clarifies my earlier statement that they were not in fact vacant like my friend said a few years ago (but they will be now). They're by far the most architecturally significant buildings on their campus (although I have a bit of a guilty love of the stepped tower). I would love to see them saved.
I just hope that whatever they do its more urban.

Considering the plans for the stadium this whole section of town needs to work on a development plan to make sure its all done properly. Who are the DT west and Midtown aldermen?

Is this Davis ward? Is that good or bad for urbanism?
BellaVilla wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:19 pm
I just hope that whatever they do its more urban. Considering the plans for the stadium this whole section of town needs to work on a development plan to make sure its all done properly. Who are the DT west and Midtown aldermen? Is this Davis ward? Is that good or bad for urbanism?
Everything surrounding Jefferson & Market is Ingrassia which is good for urbanism IMO. Granted, we have had the QT incident and the recent demo for parking in DT West.
6 is Ingrassia, 19 is Davis, 5 is Hubbard, 7 is Coatar

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 1.46.56 PM by Alex Price, on Flickr
That image is a great peak at why we should have like 5-7 wards.