Giving a Tour of StL Soon and Need Suggestions

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.
Hey, everyone.

My roommate here at U of I is getting his masters degree in computer science. He's originally from Sacramento by way of Denver where he worked in software development. He came to U of I because of its stellar ranking and expected to end up in Chicago.

He's ex-Air Force and a pretty conservative fellow.

We've spent a lot of time talking about what we want to do in our careers and what kind of place we'd like to end up. Suffice it to say that Illinois' politics don't really jive with his (specifically the fiscal irresponsibility, not social issues). I was quick to point out to him the strides StL has made in developing its tech scene even if it is more bio-tech than traditional tech (I'm sure I am butchering this description-I'm a Law Student lol) and that he may be more comfortable with the lifestyle StL can offer including better weather-in my opinion.

Anyway, I guess he's been thinking about what I told him because he asked if I could take him to St. Louis so he can check it out and see if he might like it. I'm mapping a tour of the region and I know all the cultural/historical things I am going to show him, but I also want to give him an idea of what StL has to offer him in terms of employment.

This is where I hope you guys can really help me. I just don't where to take him in the metro for examples of business that he might want to consider reaching out to. I can take him to Cortex, but beyond that I don't have the fuzziest idea of where to go.

Working Itinerary:
-Approach the metro from the north side to take him through Grafton on the river road, I just think that's a beautiful drive through a cool part of the region.
-Cross in to Mo at Alton and head downtown. We'll go to the arch and explore downtown a bit.
-Take him through Soulard to the brewery (maybe do a tour haven't decided)
-Go down Chrerokee and hopefully get lunch
-Up Grand to show TG Park (and surrounding neighborhoods), SLU, and GC.
-West Through the CWE, down Lindell to the front door of WASHU
-Up to Delmar
-Then to Clayton
-Then on out to St. Chuck, maybe show him some wine country if there is time
-Back through the county to show him the different types of Suburban living StL offers
-Back through the city to hit up the Hill for dinner and the grove for a beer before getting out of town.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated!
Man St. Louis isnt a huge town but I really don’t see how you could do all that in one day. The highlights you picked are good ones depending on her personal leanings.

Comp s is have a lot of options in town but for an ex military I would recommend talking up some of the local defense contractors. Particularly Boeing where a military background gives you a leg up.
That's a good idea, ill do that. Do you have any examples of other local defense contractors?
Here is my favorite route to take visitors:

Downtown to Soulard to Lafayette Square to Compton Heights to South grand/ Tower Grove Park area to the Hill to St. Louis Hills. Then on to Forest Park to CWE down Lindell to U-City To Clayton / Brentwood.

I’ve done a driving tour with a no stops (if time sensitive), with a few stops or done it over an extended period, in any order. I have never had a person(s) not leave this tour very impressed with our city. I’ve even had people say theyd consider moving here, had no clue how awesome our city is.
If you make it to Cherokee, please drop into our shop- we love welcoming visitors to the city. And we can talk up this town to no end!
@jack
Square is starting to hire engineers in my hometown of St. Louis. Excited to build this up! #314

I think Centene would need computer science people
NGA too
^Boeing has a whole host of subs. Most prominent among them might be GKN Aerospace. Emerson did some defense contracting in the past. (And they certainly hire engineers.) I'd swear Oerlikon used to have a plant on the east side, but that may be long gone. (Along with General Steel Castings, General Dynamics, and a host of other departed defense contractors.) Your best bet might be to help your friend hook up with a good headhunter, honestly. There are plenty of defense jobs around town, even now. But it ain't what it used to be. And the hiring process is . . . different now. To say the least.

As to tourist stuff, I think your plan sounds fine. I'm sure you are a better judge of your friend's peculiar taste than I. I always try to hit the botanical garden. (And I managed to solicit a radio shout-out for local beer and architecture.) But your plan sounds solid. Kind of the reverse of the way I usually run, but I'm typically dragging folks in from the west. If you want some nice military history suggestions there's always Fort DeChartres and Jefferson Barracks. At some point it's too much, though. And those probably shouldn't be the top of any list. Worth a mention, though. And if your friend is an engineer the Museum of Transport might be worth a stop. Sure, it's mostly railroads. But there's a lot of heavy iron out there. A whole heap of engineering. (Call me if you want a tour guide. I can do railroad history. I'll do you a better locomotive development tour than about anyone you're likely to run into out there. And I might still be able to get you in free. Maybe. I don't go there often anymore. But I'll make an exception every once in a while. For a good cause.)
Agree re: focusing on companies like Boeing, but by no means do you need to limit him to those - in my experience IT/IS team in most companies really like to hire ex-military guys as they tend to be more disciplined and reliable workers. I know there are a *lot* of them where I work,

And he doesn't need to have a working knowledge of the Biotech industry to work in IS or IT for a Biotech company. Computers are computers regardless of the purpose for which they're used - the principles should still apply.

-RBB
rbb wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:11 pm
And he doesn't need to have a working knowledge of the Biotech industry to work in IS or IT for a Biotech company. Computers are computers regardless of the purpose for which they're used - the principles should still apply.
Forgive me, but . . .
Vaporators? Sir, my first job was programming binary load lifters - very similar to your vaporators in most respects.
Thanks everyone for the ideas, I'll try to incorporate all that I can!
symphonicpoet wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:56 pm
rbb wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:11 pm
Forgive me, but . . .
Vaporators? Sir, my first job was programming binary load lifters - very similar to your vaporators in most respects.
I've just about had enough of you. Go that way. You'll be malfunctioning within a day, you near-sighted scrap pile. And don't let me catch you following me begging for help because you won't get it.

-RBB
i'd approach the city using I-170 to I-64 instead of I-70, do the rest how you want.
Not sure when your buddy's coming, but the Soldiers Memorial re-opens November 3. Should be good for ex-military folks.

http://mohistory.org/memorial