New SLU Science and Engineering Building - 240 N Grand BLVD

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
SLU appears to be pursuing a $40 million dollar permit for a new science and engineering building at 240 North Grand, which would be the south east corner of the Grand and Lindell intersection - where the large fountain is. SLU's appeal from an initial zoning denial is on the Board of Adjustment agenda for August 1, 2018: https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/government/d ... 1-18r1.pdf .
^Awesome! Can't wait to hear more.
Sweet! Now if something could be done about that Grand and FPP interchange....
stlnative wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:17 pm
What would you like to see changed?
stlmizzoutiger wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:25 pm
stlnative wrote:
Can't speak to what stlnative is thinking but in my mind an at grade intersection would bring much better continuity to N. Grand and encourage even more development/infill in the immediate area of SLU/Mid Town..

Anyone have thoughts on why they denial in the first place, or something specific to building type vs. zoning?
I don't know anything about the project, but I have no doubt SLU will ultimately be able to build whatever they want here. I'm sure it's just a matter of legal technicalities etc.

BTW, I'd guess $40 million on that site should yield what, maybe 5 or 6 floors? Great to see SLU investing in new academic buildings. Should work well alongside Parks College etc. Maybe east of Grand could become a much larger tech campus.
Framer, I suppose it depends on how large the lot is. $40 Million on a small lot goes a long way. "Will they use the larger grassy area behind the corner lot?" is the question I'm asking. I am hoping we get a glimpse at it tomorrow or soon. SLU has their investors and money in line so financing isn't the problem but I guess it all depends on zoning.
As an imperfect point of reference, for the two new dorms, Spring Hall (8 stories) was $43.8 million, Grand Hall (7 stories) was $71 million.

I figure a science and engineering building will cost a lot more per sq ft than a dorm or many other univ buildings.
stlmizzoutiger wrote:
stlnative wrote:
I was there on Sunday having come east on FPP and turning south on Grand. A car coming south on Grand turned right next to me to start heading west onto east bound FPP. It needs work but I don't know if there is a enough room to make it a SPUI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-po ... nterchange
Would just removing the FPP to 64 ramps also help?

First, trying to merge onto 64 through FPP is an exercise in ass clenching. Same with Jefferson merging onto 64 going west.

Just looking at a street overview, this is a joke. The Bernard/Market exit?

That whole area is a ***** because of 64, and the Grand/64 interchange needs to be fixed just the same as the Jefferson interchange, which from what I remember, is planned to be renovated.

Best case would be to heal the grid, get rid of the cloverleafs (those mess things up every day). Realistically, just looking at it makes my head hurt. I imagine an off ramp for 64W to Grand could fit next to Icon. Bernard/Market deleted, and the ramp replaced from 64E to Grand, changing that from a clover leaf to a normal off ramp, the clover leaf turns into a normal ramp from Grand to 64E. FPP is deleted east of Grand, and Market is extended to that intersection at grade where it turns into FPP at an intersection with a traffic light, where the intersection is much narrower. Delete the Ewing on-ramp too, I think which was part of the Jefferson renovation will help clean things up as well.

The last question for me is that stupid Council Plaza signal. Oh well, my head is officially spinning.
I wonder if the Board of Adjustment approved the zoning plan tonight.
dredger wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:42 pm
stlmizzoutiger wrote:
stlnative wrote:
Can't speak to what stlnative is thinking but in my mind an at grade intersection would bring much better continuity to N. Grand and encourage even more development/infill in the immediate area of SLU/Mid Town..

Anyone have thoughts on why they denial in the first place, or something specific to building type vs. zoning?
Exactly this. I think the rework at FPP and Kingshighway should be mimicked at Grand as well.
Sorry to burst the excitement. 240 N Grand is actually next to Ritter Hall. The new building will be roughly where the Dolphin pond is just east of Ritter Hall, north of the other science buildings, and northeast of the BSC. Makes sense for this building. The good news is this will add some density to the campus while keeping 300 N Grand available for a bigger mixed use building of our dreams.
SLU will start construction on a new Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering Building ­– a $50 million project that also includes renovation of some existing lab spaces ­– in November. Learn more: https://bit.ly/2AZDfrB
Here is a rendering looking North from the Busch Student Center.

$6M permit application GRADING, FOOTING & FOUNDATION ONLY PER PLANS