The next round of big construction projects.....

Downtown construction activity, including hotel projects, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc.
As we sit here in the midst of one of the biggest construction booms in recent decades, with the likes of BPV, One, 300 S. Broadway, Cortex (misc.), Centene, amongst others, I wonder what the next round of big developments will be, what areas, what types of projects.

Obviously, we know NGA, future BPV phases, Jefferson Arms and others are out there. Once this round of big projects is complete, where do you all see things going? Projects like those mentioned above should be transformative with regards to built environment and mindset. These are great projects that can finally move the needle for our fine City. Obviously, this is hard to predict, since a lot of this is based on economy, demand and the real estate market, as well as other factors. Based on what we know today, anyone have any feel for what the next 5-10 years of developments will bring? Will there be a whole new list of amazing projects, one here and there or nothing much, after the current list of 'under construction' and 'approved'/ 'almost approved' projects are completed. I am trying to get a feel for which direction our momentum is heading and if this building boom is a short-lived situation or if this is only the beginning of bigger and better things for STL.

Assuming the market is strong and we can somehow see a bigger uptick in metro area population, I see the following as a possibility, in the next round of development:

-More Downtown high-rise projects, assuming BPV and 300 are a success (Mike Shannon's site for example)
-More Clayton high rise projects until the master-plan is achieved
-Lots more development in the Cortex district
-More residential in the CWE
-STLFC getting it together and building a venue at or near the same site

Could the next big thing be the Chouteau's Landing area, assuming the trail is built. There could also be development along the trail at other points. Could the rest of grand be built up north of SSM.

Any thoughts are welcome.....
DogtownBnR wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:53 pm
-STLFC getting it together and building a venue at or near the same site
I'm not sure I would assume this. Two major floods in three years may be enough to make them look elsewhere. Also, their attendance might benefit from something more centrally located.
I was referring to a wishful thinking scenario that would entail STLFC getting the final $60 million to start the MLS venue in the same area near Union Station, over the next 5-10 years. I was not referring to a new venue in Fenton.
Got it. I would love to see a stadium at the site they were proposing for MLS. Does anybody know if there is a schedule in place for reworking the I-64/40 and Jefferson interchange? I know that was supposed to happen regardless to improve traffic flow up to NGA.
I don't think so.

Here's a thread on the 22nd st interchange, btw

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6485&hilit=22nd&start=50
How will increased opposition to tax incentives, TIFs, tax abatements, HTCs, LIHTCs, etc going to affect things?
I feel Lemp will be soon if things keep on the upward trend and we don't hit a recession. I think someone will come in to propose to do a mixed use in stages.
The Lemp along with the Falstaff Brewery have always been high on my list. It would be great to see both historical buildings rehabbed and repurposed. I really hope both have a brewing element to them, if ever redone. Falstaff #10 seems like a no-brainer for a micro-brewery. I understand the remediation issues and the fact that the building likely needs millions in work. They both need developers with deep pockets. At least Lemp is being maintained to some extent. Falstaff #10 is probably getting more and more expensive the longer it sits vacant.
I've always dreamed of a South and North Broadway comprehensive renaissance in the Patch and Baden Neighborhoods, respectively. Both are brimming with potential. The Carondelet stretch reminds me of New Orleans and the Baden stretch of small town main-streets all across the state. Not as splashy as a tower, but would make such an impact on the city as a whole.
I could definitely see Downtown East of Tucker exploding in new development (Infill on vacant lots like Nadira Place at Washington and Tucker) since the amount of abandoned buildings are dwindling. Current abandoned buildings have plans but are waiting for construction to start. Besides that, then North Riverfront could also be a contender for new construction since Laclede's Landing is improving and Lucas could be reconnected to it which could lead to infill. Meanwhile, you also have Alterra wanting to do some things nearby. Those two things would anchor the development up on the Riverfront and could help the plan put forth after the NFL left our City come to life. As for Chouteau's Landing, I don't see it coming back to life until the Chouteau Greenway gets underway and the district becomes more connected to the city instead of being divided by massive train bridges, the highway and wide streets (4th and Broadway). Laclede's Landing has it better since Washington Avenue is a short walk away. Chouteau's Landing is pushed away from tons of things unless Downtown builds South of 64 but I don't see that happening.

Besides Downtown, I agree with Mark Groth on the Patch and Baden Neighborhoods. The recent sidewalk and lighting improvements in Baden could help bring it back. I could see South Broadway being a new "Delmar Loop" but the industrial buildings East of Broadway limit this idea.
Black02AltimaSE wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:58 am
Got it. I would love to see a stadium at the site they were proposing for MLS. Does anybody know if there is a schedule in place for reworking the I-64/40 and Jefferson interchange? I know that was supposed to happen regardless to improve traffic flow up to NGA.
2019 construction probably.
chriss752 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 2:03 pm
As for Chouteau's Landing, I don't see it coming back to life until the Chouteau Greenway gets underway and the district becomes more connected to the city instead of being divided by massive train bridges, the highway and wide streets (4th and Broadway). Laclede's Landing has it better since Washington Avenue is a short walk away. Chouteau's Landing is pushed away from tons of things unless Downtown builds South of 64 but I don't see that happening.
This is what I want to see happen the most, and hopefully the Greenway gets going sooner rather than later (pipe dream, I know). It would really boost that area. It has so much potential. really reminds me of the West Bottoms area of KC thats seeing a resurrection. Stabilize the existing structures and convert to mixed use storefront/restaurant with big lofts above. Infill all the open lots. Make a nice connection to the Riverfront trail to link Arch ground and Lacledes. Maybe someday...