West End Residential Development

Discuss renovations and new construction in North City -- defined by the area north of Delmar Avenue.
New topic because I couldn't find anything for this particular hot area.
Jeff Mugg's Delmar Properties plans to rehab a vacant apartment building in the West End.

The $3.9 million project, at 5882-98 Cabanne Ave. and 860-68 Hamilton Blvd., would produce 32 apartments covering 30,400 square feet of space, according to city documents. The city owns the property. Land Clearance for Redevelopment Authority staff recommend a 10-year tax abatement valued at $128,313 for the project, being done through Delmar Properties' West End Apartments LLC. The city estimated that even with the abatement, net new revenue to the city over 30 years would total $236,694.

The three-story building was constructed in 1925 and designed by Nolte and Nauman, a St. Louis firm.

"Known for their distinctive residential commissions in the more exclusive suburbs beyond the city limits that were developing in the early decades of the twentieth century, Nolte and Nauman’s design for this apartment building was strongly influenced by the popular Second Renaissance Revival style," says a nominating form to the National Register of Historic Places.

City documents say the project will produce one full-time job paying $35,000 and two part-time jobs paying $18,000.
Here it is on Google Maps
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.659512, ... a=!3m1!1e3
^
Outstanding news!
Good to see this is back... I had this on the city projects list a few years back but it never moved forward; not sure if it's the same person or a new one hoping to get this done now.

It's on Cabanne/Hamilton four blocks north of the mixed-use Gotham apartment building on Delmar that opened a few years back.
To add a little more, two additional nearby buildings will be lightly rehabbed along with the gut rehab of 5882 Cabbane. All of the units will be affordable rental apartments for a 15 year compliance period. CDBG housing production funds from CDA is financing the relatively modest gap that the construction loan and historic tax credits doesn't cover.
STLrainbow wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:04 pm
Good to see this is back... I had this on the city projects list a few years back but it never moved forward; not sure if it's the same person or a new one hoping to get this done now.
Different developer. The financing is well along at this point, so it should be under construction at some point in 2018.
I don't know how credible this is but here is a Facebook post by Humans of St. Louis in reference to the 5900 and 6000 blocks of Cates and Clemens.

https://www.facebook.com/HumansofSTL/ph ... =3&theater

Edit: FAKE NEWS
MattnSTL wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:47 pm
To add a little more, two additional nearby buildings will be lightly rehabbed along with the gut rehab of 5882 Cabbane. All of the units will be affordable rental apartments for a 15 year compliance period. CDBG housing production funds from CDA is financing the relatively modest gap that the construction loan and historic tax credits doesn't cover.
do you know if there's a pretty solid understanding of how many apartment units will be coming off the 15 yr. period and could be turned market rate? Don't know if that will be a pressing issue in Central Corridor in the coming years or not.
STLrainbow wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:04 pm
MattnSTL wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:47 pm
do you know if there's a pretty solid understanding of how many apartment units will be coming off the 15 yr. period and could be turned market rate? Don't know if that will be a pressing issue in Central Corridor in the coming years or not.
I don't have a good idea. Someone probably does, and I could figure it out, but I don't have enough time. A lot of LIHTC projects elect to take the extended use period for another 15 years to make a 30 year compliance period, so it's really only the earliest projects that would be coming up to the end. A lot of times even after the LURA is released affordable units stay rental at affordable rates. Just varies on the ownership. A lot of CDBG and HOME funded projects also end up getting extended after the compliance period to avoid paying back the loans that secure the affordability during the compliance period, or get more subsidy for a light rehab which again resets the affordability period.
GoHarvOrGoHome wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:54 pm
I don't know how credible this is but here is a Facebook post by Humans of St. Louis in reference to the 5900 and 6000 blocks of Cates and Clemens.

https://www.facebook.com/HumansofSTL/ph ... =3&theater
Don't see any one person or corp owning a lot of the properties on those blocks.
I also don't see any big jumps in property taxes (not that I checked every single property).
6018 CLEMENS 2017 $512.12
2016 $518.34
2015 $472.00
5953 CATES 2017 $609.77
2016 $649.09
2015 $590.40

And I think given how controversial eminent domain is, we'd have heard about it.
CF Vatterott owns a lot of property in the West End near there, but it's scattered sites and they have owned it since the early 2000s. They have been slowly developing the lots for single-family homes. They're also not actively buying more property.
MattnSTL wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:38 pm
STLrainbow wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:04 pm
I don't have a good idea. Someone probably does, and I could figure it out, but I don't have enough time....
thanks; the reason I asked is I saw KC was trying to get on top of the issue as they identified quite a few affordable downtown units are exposed for market-rate conversion in the next few years.
We're getting off topic a little, but I could see that happening with some of the downtown LIHTC projects done by for-profit developers in the early 2000s, like the Merchandise Mart, Paul Brown, etc. Shall be interesting to watch where those go.
6029 Clemens is getting a $225k addition and renovation.
^

West End, Dutchtown to get aid from community development philanthropy:

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... 1043f.html