SP's St. Louis Train Spotting

Showcase the beauty and grit of St. Louis in pictures.
symphonicpoet wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 9:02 pm
A few new shots:

Amtrak in Kirkwood

Too bad the Japanese couldn't those bi-level coach cars certified and built in Illinois. I'm trying to visualize the new bi-levels with the new diesels.

At same time wondering how it will look if they go forward with the brightline series cars out of Cali as replacements. Would the roof line be the same or slightly higher. Bi-Level offered capacity but the brightline consist might look pretty good behind the new engines
^I'm not terribly familiar with the Brightline offerings. Just reading a little on wiki it sounds like they're using a similar Siemens locomotive for power on their Florida trains, and the rooflines match more or less exactly. I'll particularly miss the Budd built Amfleet cars, and even the Bombardier Horizon cars. Never thought I'd say that.
So I went out train spotting with Shadrach a couple of weeks ago. In theory, anyway. We got rather badly skunked in the actual moving trains department, but . . . at least there was a little yard action downtown.

We did, however spot some neat buildings. (To be detailed in another thread.)
Oh . . . off topic slightly, while I've been a little remiss on spotting 1:1 action, I did visit a neat local layout that is open to the public on a monthly basis:

That's a legit St. Louis tourist attraction right? Even one that's not too terribly well known yet. Open on the first Sunday of the month from 11-4, so go check it out. And it's the standard local price: free. ;-) 5901 Hampton across from Midwest Money. (Which is on the layout in miniature. I think they're related.)
^Three-rail O Gauge? With a little narrow gauge thrown in?
framer wrote:^Three-rail O Gauge? With a little narrow gauge thrown in?
Indeed. Might even be mostly Lionel. They use the Lionel DCC at the very least. (And a lot of the locomotives are recognizable modern Lionel.) And some On30, I believe it was. (Which is basically O on HO track. That was presumably two rail, but I wasn't looking closely enough to be sure. Got distracted and it's at eye level where it would be less obvious anyway.) Very nice layout. Lots to see.
Yep. A couple of the shots look like the Bachman On30 Climax logging loco.
Bachman was making some very nice models in the late 90s when I was last buying, as a part of their Spectrum line. I have a couple myself, though not in On30. (I was always an HO and N guy, though now I have a bit of classic era Lionel three rail. Inherited my grandfather's Christmas loop and my dad loaned me some reinforcements.) Anyway . . . it's a great layout all around. My hat is off to those as built it. Lots of great custom work. (The KC Union Station is really quite stunning.)