Bunge in 'advanced talks' to be aquired

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
I wonder if they would move their North American Headquarters here if this goes through. I know they were trying to get Decatur jet service this last go around when the EAS was up for bid and lost.
They just moved the HQ to Chicago so I doubt they'd pack it up again to move to StL. Having a Chicago HQ is all about vanity.

Honestly, I worry they'd gut StL.
BellaVilla wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:32 am
They just moved the HQ to Chicago so I doubt they'd pack it up again to move to StL. Having a Chicago HQ is all about vanity.

Their website says the World Headquarters is in Chicago and the North American is in Decatur. It could be wrong but if it is right I am talking about moving the NA at Decatur here, not what is in Chicago. Just because Bunge moved into a new HQ here. I get it is probably a longshot but I am trying to be positive about it.
^good call.

Maybe there is reason for optimism then. Why on earth would any company go out of their way to hire/transfer employees to Illinois? Maybe StL can get some Decatur folks.
BellaVilla wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:32 pm
Maybe there is reason for optimism then. Why on earth would any company go out of their way to hire/transfer employees to Illinois? Maybe StL can get some Decatur folks.
I don't know that they would, but they've been in Decatur forever. Because they're so deeply involved in corn and Illinois is cornland. It's hardly their only commodity, but it's a rather important one. My worry isn't that they'd transfer people there so much as that they'd just consolidate redundant positions and Decatur would win. Why move?

Per glassdoor: there are 106 openings at ADM in Decatur and 26 at Bunge in St. Louis. I really don't see this going our way if ADM wins the bidding war. If Glencore wins, however, things could be much better. Glencore is much much bigger, but ADM is much bigger in the US and probably also in Ag. This is nervous making stuff, either way.
Let’s not forget that ADM already shifted some corporate up to Chicago. As someone who was born and raised in Decatur, if any more corporate ADM jobs are moving out of that city, they’re going up north and not to StL.
BellaVilla wrote:

Of course they'll gut St. Louis. Even with the new building it feel like they are toast.
Anyone know how many people Bunge employs in STL?
DogtownBnR wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:32 pm
Anyone know how many people Bunge employs in STL?
Around 700 I believe.
^That would be a big loss!
dweebe wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:46 am
BellaVilla wrote:

Of course they'll gut St. Louis. Even with the new building it feel like they are toast.
Have to agree that St. Louis on the losing end in this deal. Consolidation is coming with way too much commodity in the market driving down prices with too many middle men/brokers like ADM and Bunge trying to keep their share and margins while large growers in Brazil/Argentina are selling direct to Asian markets.

I think the best outcome for St. Louis sake is a buyout from international company instead of ADM. At least you have a shot at maintain NA HQ even with some downsizing. Illinois will hand out as much subsidies to ADM as they need to keep hometown/back office presence in Decatur.