The Hotels Thread

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
I've got a little news I was able to dig up to share, but there wasn't a perfect thread for it. All of the discussion about the many, many hotel developments is scattered throughout. Some seem worthy of their own thread, others not. So I thought I'd start a catch all. Borrowing a little from STLRainbow's great thread

I'd be glad to put status updates next to these, but I don't have the time to look them up right now. Let me know if you've got any details or if you know of another project that needs added.

Downtown
409-415 Tucker — Jefferson Arms including AC Hotel by Marriott
501 Olive — Conversion of LaSalle Building to Boutique Hotel Indigo
705 Olive — Conversion of Union Trust building to boutique Hotel St. Louis
Ballpark Village — New construction of Live by Loews hotel
1501 Washington — Conversion of International Shoe to Boutique Last Hotel
1019 Pine St — The Hotel Majestic renovated to Le Meridien by Marriott
1320 Market — Conversion of Municipal Courts Building to a Hyatt hotel
2144 Market St — New construction of Fairfield Inn and Suites on the site of the old Harry's Restaurant & Bar

Central Corridor
~2600 Locust St — New construction of EVEN Hotel as part of larger Midtown development
3660 Market — New construction of hotel adjacent to the Armory Building rehab
3763 Forest Park Ave — New construction of Element Hotel by Westin on the site of the old Habitat HQ
Cortex - Phase 3 — New construction of Aloft Hotel
634 N Grand — Missouri Theater Building rehab including hotel (still Hotel Angad?)
215 York — New construction of AC Hotel by Marriott
And now my newsworthy tidbit. After emailing back and forth over a few months with the PR person for the current owner of The Majestic Hotel St. Louis, Hawkeye Hotels, I finally got an exciting update.

They're still moving forward with plans to renovate the hotel and restaurant. It will be a Le Meridien by Marriott, and construction is scheduled to begin in the 2nd quarter of this year.

My wife and I were married at The Thaxton in 2015, and The Hotel Majestic a block south served as our room block hotel, so it's got some special meaning to me. Actually, it was an Omni when we booked it, and then they lost that flag and were purchased (I think at the same time?) before our wedding date, causing some uneasiness. Ended up working out just fine, but the renovations are needed, and I'm excited to see them happen.
^ nice tidbit!
Not a bad thread at all. This is very good news. I imagine the current state of the Hotel Majestic is somewhat embarrassing to STL to visitors.
If you didn't see my post on the Muni Courts thread, I looked up the Architect that the Biz Journal listed last year. They were the architect for another Hyatt Place in the historic Custom House in St. Paul, which is usually a good inclination that it's a similar development team. After seeing the photos of that project, I've changed my stance on a Muni Courts hotel from "skeptical" to extremely excited. Also, after looking at some plans, the entire exterior envelope of the building is mostly offices. As long as they preserve the large interior historic spaces (they have restaurant and event spaces planned for the four court rooms), this could actually be a very fitting conversion.
I also heard an optimistic view this morning on the owner of City Center and City Place hotels this morning, which made me feel a lot better.

Edit: after looking up some of these very high end hotel chains (just the ones listed above), I just can't help thinking about how embarrassing our downtown is (speaking as an employee, resident, and active community member of downtown). St. Louis is extremely lucky that there is this larger cultural shift towards urban living because City Hall is doing almost nothing to improve downtown sidewalks, lighting, retail, greening, etc. Imagine how much apartment rent and hotel rates would soar if downtown were actually GOOD. End rant.
aprice wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:45 am
After seeing the photos of that project, I've changed my stance on a Muni Courts hotel from "skeptical" to extremely excited.
I'm very excited for this one as well. Partly because of just how cool the building is itself, but I'm also partial to Hyatt already.
jstriebel wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:01 am

Downtown
1221 Locust St — Shell Building - Proposed modern hotel
I thought the Shell building hotel proposal was dead.
stlien wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:43 pm
jstriebel wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:01 am

Downtown
1221 Locust St — Shell Building - Proposed modern hotel
I thought the Shell building hotel proposal was dead.
It may be. I couldn't find anything since July.
Its indeed dead the firm that bought the building decided to forgo so i think its back on the market.
Got it. Shell Building project has been removed.
^ personally I'd like to see the Shell remain at least partial office.

Also, a couple updates.... the Element Hotel on Forest Park Ave has a building permit application in and the developers of the Fairfield Inn project by Union Station have submitted a demo permit for the old Harry's building. So it looks like those two are moving ahead. Just about everything is.
Can someone fill in any good details from the bizjournal article on Midas Group. Thanks

It would be interesting to note if any comments are made about them taking on the Aloft Hotel in CORTEX and if they are still partners with Green Streets on Armory Development phase II hotel proposal. Believe I got the parties correct in all that

https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... -firm.html

Edit, with Stl Today biz article as per link. Looks like a central corridor/mid town takedown

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... 73f3c.html

Established in 2006, Midas has developed approximately $500 million worth of hotel properties across 14 states. The company is behind two high-profile St. Louis projects soon to begin in Midtown – the $25 million, 153-room Element by Westin on the site of the current Habitat for Humanity St. Louis headquarters at 3763 Forest Park Avenue and the $28 million, 129-room Aloft Hotel in Cortex at 4245 Duncan Avenue.
Theres no mention of the potential hotel at the Armory but they did say that the Cortex Aloft hotel will take on a U shape instead of the original L shape.
St.Louis1764 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:51 pm
Theres no mention of the potential hotel at the Armory but they did say that the Cortex Aloft hotel will take on a U shape instead of the original L shape.
I can see their office out of my office window. I can walk over and ask em what's going on. :D
I just hope the new Cortex hotel design is pushed all the way out to Forest Park Blvd.
What does everyone think about developing a hotel in Soulard - or somewhere immediately proximate to Soulard - maybe just off 55? I would think a cool boutique hotel in Soulard would stay very busy given proximity to downtown as well as the neighborhood amenities and activities. Thoughts or discussion?
St.Louis1764 wrote:
Thanks stlouis 1764. I wonder if this will grow as they get close to ground breaking. Midas/Aloft adding a couple extra floors would really come out nice and break things up from a vertical perspective, look to FPP. Just need CORTEX/Wexford to announce another infill project in the near future now that Crescent building is being developed.
^^ yeah, Soulard area would be interesting for a hotel.... I always thought the Lemp complex would've been a good site for a Ponce Market kind of deal but now that went to the Foundry site maybe a boutique hotel in part of the complex would be a good re-purposing along with some office and/or residential.
Personally, I think Airbnbs would be more appropriate for Soulard than an actual hotel.
St.Louis1764 wrote:
Midas group marches on with FPP at the old Habitat for Humanity site with hotel breaking ground soon as per PD article below

I assume Aloft and nearby Cortex garage will also have ground breaking this spring as planned. Add in the AC Marriot on York and you got three hotels under construction in the near future for CWE/Midtown or is that 4 if you count Lawrence Group development with old Health Building.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/column ... op-story-1

Midas Hospitality is slated to begin construction on a $25 million hotel on Forest Park Parkway in the next couple of months.
Demolition permit for the old Harry's was issued this week so it looks like the Fairfield Inn project will start soon. Also, the old Sheraton is getting a new flag...

St. Louis City Center Hotel to become Hotel RL
http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... 9ae09.html

don't know anything about that brand but this looks like it could be neat...

"The hotel will incorporate the Hotel RL's signature performance venue, "The Living Stage." RL Hotels says the concept provides "a platform for local musicians, poets, authors, artists, community leaders and activists to share their message live and up close.""
^ Would it be fair to say that some of the recent hotel activity including the Old Harry Site and maybe the 2600 Locust project, midtown, driven in part to the NGIA construction and long term traffic if it will see an expansion of workforce once it moves into their new facility? Fairfield Inn being more of weekday work crowd hotel instead of your tourist or in & out professional business trip crowds
I'm sure the Harry's Fairfield will get its share of tourists. A few years from now Union Station is going to be tourism central
Overview of boutique hotel development Downtown:

http://stlouiscnr.com/departments/news/ ... dium=email
framer wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:25 am
Overview of boutique hotel development Downtown:

http://stlouiscnr.com/departments/news/ ... dium=email
Aaand my brain immediately goes here:

-RBB
It's interesting that they did not mention the hotel in the Missouri Theater building. That might be one of the projects furthers along.