Steelcote Paint Company Building - Lofts Planned

Renovations and new construction in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
This is so awesome. I've always loved the building and hearing the developer say this is how they are going to 'plant their flag' in this industrial area makes me giddy. Sweet neon sign on top is icing on the cake.
Hmmm...I'm having trouble picturing where this building is.
^ had to look up myself; it's in the industrial area just north of Chouteau and east of Grand... the area behind Captain D's. Things are really heating up.
That area is very industrial and isolated and I suspect it will feel kind of lonely for the first tenants down there. That said, this would be really cool if they can develop a whole new residential neighborhood out of thin air. Reminds me of something you would see in Brooklyn. Could be big.
I'd live there in a heart beat.
A block off of the Chouteau Greenway if there is a trail on the railway alignment. And it would only be an 8 minute walk from the Grand Metro station is there was a Theresa Ave Pedestrian bridge over the rail tracks. Would be pretty cool if you could walk from there all the way to the Foundry, using an Armory/Foundry Pedestrian bridge.
Here's what it looks like today. Pretty big eye sore from the hightway/grand bridge.

YESSSSSSSS!!!! Every time I pass by that building I imagine how great it could be. Yeah, the area around it is quite industrial, but I think it could definitely work as a live/work studio set-up (a la Powell Square, which was stupidly torn down, still pissed about that one). St. Louis is poised to capitalize on its historic affordable urban fabric that is all but extinct in the traditional magnet cities. We should be marketing these assets in transit stations on the east and west coasts.

This is part of the SLU redevelopment area. The plan is to redevelop the industrial valley between Chouteau and I-64 into a mixed use TOD neighborhood. I'm very impressed and pleasantly surprised the first project will be a rehab. I honestly was expecting much of the area to be clear cut and a bunch of aventura type apartment blocks thrown up. Nice to see it will have more character than that. I think keeping the industrial vibe of the area will be a major plus. I personally think this one of the best areas in the city to build shipping container inspired residential and commercial uses.
rheights wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:12 pm
Pretty big eye sore from the hightway/grand bridge.
Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.
I meant in it's current condition, mostly. I actually love grit and, as I stated in the first post, I love this building. :)
Who is this group? Between this and the tower grove/vandeventer project I'm just loving their choices. It looks like they're doing small retail in the building as well. Fantastic news overall
So are they demo-ing one story brick structure immediately West and paving the alley? Not really going to complain too much about demo but preservation of the little stuff is what really makes a difference in St. Louis. Would make for a great strip of shops and workshops.

Also, I love that the three little smoke stacks are in the rendering. Even if they just use that little corner structure for storage or something, great to see quirky historic preservation.

ImageScreen Shot 2018-01-11 at 2.17.13 PM by Alex Price, on Flickr

ImageScreen Shot 2018-01-11 at 2.20.24 PM by Alex Price, on Flickr

ImageScreen Shot 2018-01-11 at 2.25.57 PM by Alex Price, on Flickr
aprice wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:24 pm
ImageScreen Shot 2018-01-11 at 2.17.13 PM by Alex Price, on Flickr

Wow! That vintage Dodge Aspen (?) station wagon fits right in!
aprice wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:24 pm
So are they demo-ing one story brick structure immediately West and paving the alley? Not really going to complain too much about demo but preservation of the little stuff is what really makes a difference in St. Louis. Would make for a great strip of shops and workshops.
I'm confused by this... The rendering is showing the west face of the building looking east. The road is right up against the building in what is currently an alley, but then what are they going to do with the space that 1 story building used to occupy? That's a lot of pavement in the render.

I agree it could be nice storefronts if kept.
I've reached out to the developer to see if he can answer these questions. Not sure if I'll get a response, but can't hurt.
If they are serious about turning this into a legit neighborhood they should look into building a direct connection to the Grand Station to the North. Otherwise one would have to walk all the way to Chouteau, then walk the length of the Grand Bridge. Would be a great GRG project.
Presby has a super write-up on the building.,, it was on the demolition threat in 2016.

https://nextstl.com/2018/01/steelcote-l ... ek-valley/
One of my friends works for Trivers and apparently the entire complex is on the historic register, so they aren't demoing much. The plans are to turn the entire block into a mini campus for the lofts. It sounded like all of the smaller building's are going to be kept and rehabbed and then used as amenities for the campus.
^That sounds SO cool. What a potential space.
Michael Hamburg, who leads the development group behind this project and the Woodward lofts, did respond to my email.

Here's what he had to say about the site plan for the building.
You are correct, the rendering is facing east (shows the west side of the building) for optics to show what the rooftop sign will look like, so it adds a street/alley in between Steelcote and 812 S Theresa (building immediately west). That spot was once a railroad right of way where trains would come off the main line and load up with products from Steelcote and its neighbors. The main building entrance will remain on Edwin Street, but to enter the parking lot and garage residents will enter on the north side off of Gratiot.
He also mentioned that he's got "broader plans for the neighborhood" but can't reveal everything right now as it's still early in the design process.

In saying that, he didn't specifically address the question about the single story lengthy building strip. Still, I took that as a very positive sign that he either plans to try to reuse those buildings or that he sees the land as prime for replacement development. That's my own speculation, but he seems very into historic preservation and very excited about what could lay ahead for that area.
Building permit issued last week so this looks like a go.
STLrainbow wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:54 am
Building permit issued last week so this looks like a go.
Great! I drove by there wondering if it was. This is gonna be a lotta work!