2018 City Projects

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.
So I decided to tally up the number of market-rate apartments that were under construction and thought it just might break 2,000 units. Well, lo and behold it broke 3,000 units. And with what's in the pipeline I think we could wind up 2018 with over 4,000 units either opened up or under construction. Things are kind of hot here in the city,
^Yes. There are projects underway that I never dreamed would break ground and others I just never dreamed of at all. There's a lot of momentum. I have a few worries along with all of it, since I'm not the most prosperous guy on the block and I like even my neighbors most in danger of getting gentrified out, but it's exciting to see just the same. We need balance, but that balance has to include some serious development. Like this.
symphonicpoet wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:45 pm
^Yes. There are projects underway that I never dreamed would break ground and others I just never dreamed of at all. There's a lot of momentum. I have a few worries along with all of it, since I'm not the most prosperous guy on the block and I like even my neighbors most in danger of getting gentrified out, but it's exciting to see just the same. We need balance, but that balance has to include some serious development. Like this.
Serious question... with so many areas of St. Louis that are in desperate need of revitalization, is it feasible that an influx of new people might cause some gentrification along the edges such as north of Delmar?

I can't help but think about what's happening in the Grove and Tower Grove South / East and then look at some of the housing stock just north of Delmar and along Union. Critical mass will eventually lead to expanding the central corridor, right?
oh, definitely. West End to Vandeventer is prime for major change. One of the benefits I think of a slower growth region like STL and Pitt is we have an opportunity to manage things a bit better to avoid some of the more negative aspects of rapid neighborhood change/gentrification that has been occurring in some of these hotter cities. How well we do that will depend upon how proactive we are.
STLrainbow wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:21 am
oh, definitely. West End to Vandeventer is prime for major change. One of the benefits I think of a slower growth region like STL and Pitt is we have an opportunity to manage things a bit better to avoid some of the more negative aspects of rapid neighborhood change/gentrification that has been occurring in some of these hotter cities. How well we do that will depend upon how proactive we are.
Tis, but I fear we aren't being very proactive. This city needs a master plan.
^ Agreed.

Multiple updates made including moving several apartment building projects to completed. Also Melba Theater to under construction!
Added a couple of the more recent announcements, although I'm being more selective in what gets on.

I'm also thinking of taking the proposed infill apartment project on Park in the heart of Lafayette Square off the list; haven't heard anything on that in a long time.

The proposed office project at the Delmar Shell gas station site also seems to be slow-going as well as the Delmar Divine. Muni Courts downtown, too. But I'll give those more time.
Steelcote Lofts & Jefferson-Arms look like a go as building permits were issued for them last week. (Edit: or maybe not.)

I took off a couple projects appearing to go nowhere including the apartment proposal for Park Ave, the Wilkinson School project on Arsenal (affordable housing for teachers) and the mixed-use infill project on Chouteau by the Home2Hilton developer.

Couple other big projects that just seem kinda stuck include the Armory, the Loop office project at the old shell station and Fairfield Inn by Union Station. And Foundry also is slow to get going on Phase 1 construction.
A building permit was applied for the three infill units on Menard in Soulard next to I-55. I think Nextstl had a mention on it about a year ago but I can't locate it now; anyway nice to see these kinds of smaller-scale but still important projects fill out vacant lots.
STLrainbow wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:15 am
A building permit was applied for the three infill units on Menard in Soulard next to I-55. I think Nextstl had a mention on it about a year ago but I can't locate it now; anyway nice to see these kinds of smaller-scale but still important projects fill out vacant lots.
I agree with the bolded comment. Smaller infill developments are crucial to strenghtening neighborhoods too. They also make neighborhoods look better in the long run. MOFO in Tower Grove South, Hibernia and Dogtown and Altus' on South grand are good examples. In the future, 1001 Russell and 3201 Morgan Ford among others.
True. I will never hate on a big apartment project but small scale development makes for far more cohesive neighborhoods. I am just happy we are seeing the tide turn to smaller scale projects that actually make sense in an urban setting. Don't even get me started on Delmar between Sarah and Vandeventer
"City of St. Louis Issues a Record of $1.14 Billion in Building Permits for Fiscal Year 2018"

https://www.constructforstl.org/city-of ... year-2018/
^what makes it more impressive is that it is a roughly 100% increase over 2017.
A number of completions, including the Shriner's/CID residential conversion and the Sarah street mixed-use condo project.

^ Pretty sure db knows the answer, but is there a meaningful fiscal benefit to the city's budget from all these building permit revenue?
$10,140,000
^ so if permit value was up about 100%, the city saw an increase in permit fees of approximately $5M from the year before?