JC Penney Closing Hampton Village Store

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
Should be a prime spot for someone:

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... 76ae0.html
I feel like with this closure, Hampton Village should be redeveloped and made better. There are a few empty store fronts there, so I see prime Redevelopment.
Sad to see it go after all these years, but always wondered how it lasted this long.

Anyone have any predictions on what retailer/tenant takes over? Let's hope it's a solid national retailer and not a less desirable one. Also, I hope it gets filled soon. That is too prime a location in south city to just sit there. Lots of traffic, lots of potential!
Ross dress for less would be my guess
Sad news. That's where my wife usually shops.
St.Louis1764 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:16 pm
Someone said the landlord didnt renew the JCP lease and that TJMaxx is moving in but than ive also heard some suit shop too.
St.Louis1764 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:16 pm
There's already a Ross fairly close by at Deer Creek.
Might as well get out and repurpose the site now before JCP ceases to operate as a going concern.

I don’t have any intel but I personally find it unlikely TJX (parent of TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Homegoods/Homesense) will see this as a suitable location. Look at the other stores in their (fairly small) footprint in St. Louis area. Much like Wal-Mart my hunch is they won’t open in the city limits because the city won’t provide the necessary dedicated police support for shoplifting (“shrinkage”).

Hopefully I’m wrong but I wouldn’t get too upset an ailing retailer circling the drain is closing a location after the major cultural shopping season. City of Plano TX is already looking at potential rezoning to repurpose their large HDQ. Of course the Dallas/Ft. Worth area is on fire and has gained a million new residents since the 2008-09 downturn.
I worry about a dollar store. Those things have been expanding like crazy in the last five years and they don't project the right image for the area. If DESCO rents to one expect seriously pissed neighborhood association people (myself included).
JAL007 wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:30 am
I wouldn’t get too upset an ailing retailer circling the drain is closing a location
Totally agree. This has less to do with St. Louis or the Hampton Village Shopping Center and more to do with the changing retail landscape.
This would never happen next to a Schnucks, but I have always felt that a Trader Joe's in the Hampton Village area would do extremely well. Years ago when Target presented their plans to the Ward for the new store across the street, they compared the demographics of this area to the one they were building at the same time in Town and Country and felt it was actually superior.
https://twitter.com/toby1319/status/946887197294252038

Could it be that Ross/TJ Max simply out bid JCP?