Big Fire Near SLU

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.
Tons of smoke coming from somewhere near the SLU campus. Anyone know what's up?
Building at 39th and Park. Apparently magnesium is stored in the basement.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... be0ee.html
The magnesium storage was false, but five alarms nonetheless. Smashed a fire truck. One of the older ones, so hopefully slated for replacement anyway. It'd be nice if the building insurance pays for that truck and the response since the City is self-insured which means the money for replacing that truck just comes out of the Fire Department budget.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... be0ee.html
That's much farther away than I thought. I saw huge billows of smoke from here in Grand Center, and thought it was right on campus.
Looking at the photos available on the PD website, the firetruck that was part of the collapse is Engine 14. I believe this is a 2000 Spartan / Smeal apparatus so it's already 17 years old. That's not exactly outdated when it comes to fire apparatus, but yeah... it would probably be nice if they can replace it rather than refurbish or repair. That said, based on the photos, it looks like the wall didn't completely collapse on top of the firetruck, but I would expect the entire right side to be damaged and the frame possibly damaged as well. It probably helped that it's outriggers were in use for the aerial, to help stabilize the truck too.

Again, just my own guesses based upon a single photo that shows the non-damaged side of the firetruck.

A friend just sent me this
Local publisher Reedy Press had a warehouse in this building. It's gonna be hard on them.

Also, 150,000 citronella candles were stored in another part of the building.
chaifetz10 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:04 pm
Looking at the photos available on the PD website, the firetruck that was part of the collapse is Engine 14. I believe this is a 2000 Spartan / Smeal apparatus so it's already 17 years old. That's not exactly outdated when it comes to fire apparatus, but yeah... it would probably be nice if they can replace it rather than refurbish or repair. That said, based on the photos, it looks like the wall didn't completely collapse on top of the firetruck, but I would expect the entire right side to be damaged and the frame possibly damaged as well. It probably helped that it's outriggers were in use for the aerial, to help stabilize the truck too.
Apparently a power pole fell on the truck when the wall collapsed.
The roof of the cab is smashed solidly from what could be seen from helicopter footage. There's a big chunk of intact brick wall on top. How bad the damage is beyond that is hard to tell. With new trucks coming it's probably not worth the money to fix even if it can be fixed for a non-ridiculous amount.

This was just live on CBS New York and NBC 4 New York. They carried it as Breaking News.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chalupas54 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:20 pm
This was just live on CBS New York and NBC 4 New York. They carried it as Breaking News.
Hm. Well, having driven through it a couple of times a full working day and a day and a half after it started . . . this one was a mess. Looks to me from G-maps that there was an automotive place in there as well. And I've heard tales of upholstery. Paper, foam, mysterious car bits. That explains a lot. The smoke was vicious. On the way back at nine thirty tonight, fully eleven hours after the thing started, the smoke column had collapsed on Grand (maybe because the fire was FINALLY dying down and didn't have enough heat to push it up anymore). And that was some rancid, nasty, thick, unbearable smoke. From Chouteau down through 44, at least. Strong smell of ozone. Thick, rancid, yellow smoke by that time. (At least the way it looked in my headlights, anyway.) I've seen some nasty fires, here and elsewhere (the TRRA Shops in Madison, Mom's Arcade and the Garth and BL strip mall in CoMO, for instance) and this one about took the cake. (Missed the Graniteware fire. That might have been close.) That said, yep, big fire. Glad the casualties are pretty minor after that. Could have been a really bad one.
Some pretty incredible footage of one of the walls of the warehouse collapsing (not the side that fell on the truck):
https://giphy.com/gifs/l2QDYQRV3dU07z904

Also... yeah. Looks like T14's a goner. Fortunately no one was in the truck when the collapse happened:

Saw some people posting pictures of the smoke plume clearly visible from 30+ miles away in Illinois on Facebook as well.
Oh yeah. It’s totaled then. To repair a ladder truck with that much damage just isn’t economical. There’s too many structural concerns with it being an aerial as well... hopefully the buildings owners have good insurance.
Yep. Now the only question is if they'll just replace that quint with a pumper, or if they'll get another pumper and that additional H&L they were thinking about since they just had their ladder capability reduced.

It's also a bit younger than I would've guessed:
"The department said the truck was purchased in 2004 and cost about $750,000 but is estimated to cost nearly $1 million to replace in 2017."
(Source:http://www.kmov.com/story/36851034/fire ... ighborhood)
Hopefully they go with a pure engine and a H&L. And reading between the lines on that article... even though they purchased it in 2004, I still think it was actually built in 2000. I'm guessing it was a model they got at a discount or surplus at a discount.
Makes sense on the quint.

Though with the replacement quote at only $1,000,000, it sounds as if they're only purchasing a single unit to replace it, though I'm not too sure on the precise procurement costs so I could be wrong (since I'm sure that quints are more expensive than a dedicated pumper or truck on their own). Maybe that final H&L they've wanted? I wish they'd buy a tiller rig though, since they retired their last in the mid 80's. You'd almost think they'd need one with how tight downtown is combined with how sharp the corners all are.
Trololzilla wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:52 am
Makes sense on the quint.

Though with the replacement quote at only $1,000,000, it sounds as if they're only purchasing a single unit to replace it, though I'm not too sure on the precise procurement costs so I could be wrong (since I'm sure that quints are more expensive than a dedicated pumper or truck on their own). Maybe that final H&L they've wanted? I wish they'd buy a tiller rig though, since they retired their last in the mid 80's. You'd almost think they'd need one with how tight downtown is combined with how sharp the corners all are.
Quints are more expensive than a standard Engine (since they do have an aerial ladder) but are not as expensive as a full sized H&L. Think of a quint as a crossover, jack of all trades unit. And pricing can be quite extreme, depending on the specifications they go with and even the supplier. A Pierce, 100' platform with all of the bells and whistles (such as tandem rear axle, 750 gallon tank instead of the standard 500 gal, and foam options) will be quite a bit pricier than say a bare bones E-One 75' quint.
I know what a quint is (I've honestly been fascinated with the concept of quints since childhood, but with time learned that they're not always as 'good' as they're made out to be) and in general the type of factors that dictate the purchase price of a fire vehicle (since I hang around a lot of emergency personnel or various internet forums, among other reasons); I figured they were at least more expensive than most sorts of dedicated pumper (barring the more extreme examples). Wasn't entirely sure on the truck part. I figured not (usually), but it makes sense.

Are they still exclusively going with Spartan/Smeal vehicles? Or has that changed at all in the past few years? It's been a while since I've paid incredibly close attention to the quint phaseout and replacement program.
I feel really bad for Reedy Press. This is a local publisher, featuring mostly local authors and local subjects. These guys were relying on holiday sales, and now it's all gone.

I've bought some of their titles; they do good work:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metr ... 8aadc.html

https://www.reedypress.com/