MetroLink Station Placemaking

All the ways we move people and things: trains, planes, automobiles, biking, walking, etc.
I know there was an effort in the recent past to identify ways to activate Metro stations, but I wanted to create a thread to catch ideas/thoughts.

Has anyone been riding Metro and found themselves wishing for a less obvious Station amenity? (different styles of seating, food, charging, etc.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The primary thing I would like to see at MetroLink stations is just more Metro information:
Bus arrival boards
Information on recent route changes and proposed route changes
Did you know facts about certain bus lines
Tips on the best busses to take to certain locations

There are lots of MetroLink users that still don't feel comfortable relying on busses because of their infrequency.
There are so many maps, schedules, and tips you could watch a rotating screen for 5 minutes and still not learn everything about our relatively modest Transit system.

For instance, every time I have to get on a bus at Civic Center, I'm afraid I'm going to miss the bus because I'm not going to know which stall it uses. It would be nice to be able to see this map on the platform while I'm waiting on my train to get to Civic Center.

Yes, I know that all this information is available on my phone but many don't have that option, don't know how to even look for it on Metro's website, or even know what they don't know about busses. Growing up in a suburb, you don't even know the Civic Center bus center exists much less know the concept.
Alex,

At the October 17 Operations Committee Meeting, committee members approved Agenda Item 7 -- Wayfinding and Customer Communication Design Procurement of Services.

Link: http://www.bistatedev.org/wp-content/up ... Packet.pdf

The agenda item allows Metro to enter into a contract to update and make clear wayfinding signs across the MetroLink alignment. This project includes updating MetroBus stop signs and select MetroLink stations in order to ease the passenger experience and lessen travel confusion.

Last year, Metro conducted an audit that will provide the framework for updating and managing Metro’s signage and wayfinding program. This audit included recommendations and best practices for signage theme, content, messaging, and placement, as well as a strategy for maintaining clear and consistent signage throughout and following the forthcoming signage update.
What is in store for the Metrobus signage?
As for MetroBus stop signage, Metro anticipates replacing the more than 7,000 bus stops across the system with an updated look with more detailed information. The design has yet to be produced, but Metro wants the signs to be more user-friendly and promote the transit technology they already have in place today, such as text alerts and stop ID information.

pat wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:13 am
  • Larger type face on Metrolink station signs, both station name and end of the line station name
  • Bus route maps at every bus stop.
Please beautify the metro stations. Concrete is drab and depressing. Along with the ubiquitous ads for vd testing, double snap coupons, and schizophrenia research studies, it kind of grinds a person down. For beautification ideas, see Moscow, Russia.
Matthew Hibbard wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:44 am
As for MetroBus stop signage, Metro anticipates replacing the more than 7,000 bus stops across the system with an updated look with more detailed information. The design has yet to be produced, but Metro wants the signs to be more user-friendly and promote the transit technology they already have in place today, such as text alerts and stop ID information.

pat wrote:
Do you know who will be designing the signs or if there will be a bid process?

I find that most of our way finding systems in the city windup being done cheaply and/or poorly.
The wayfinding project will be part of a bid process.

jstriebel wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:24 am
Matthew Hibbard wrote:

pat wrote:

I find that most of our way finding systems in the city windup being done cheaply and/or poorly.
Matthew Hibbard wrote:The wayfinding project will be part of a bid process.

jstriebel wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:24 am
Matthew Hibbard wrote:

Matthew,
With the Cortex station coming next year, will Metro be reprinting MetroLink Maps for the trains and platforms?

If so, is there going to be any period of public comment on how the new maps should look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
addxb2 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:59 pm
If so, is there going to be any period of public comment on how the new maps should look?
Seriously?
The obsession with "public input" is why nothing gets in this city.
addxb2,

Yes, Metro will be redesigning the system map as well as the MetroLink light rail map to reflect the new Cortex MetroLink Station. We haven't asked for public input in the past when it comes to updating maps, however if you let me know what you'd like to see, I can forward it over to our marketing department for consideration.
shadrach wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:03 pm
addxb2 wrote:
Seriously?
Should come out to the Bay Area. Cali has taken it to a whole new level. Never lived in a placed where it takes so long for anything to get done and swear at times that some of the projects in my new home have spent a couple years going back and forth a couple years on paint colors and other incidental design items not too the liking of the local design review committee..
dredger wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:34 pm
shadrach wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:03 pm
addxb2 wrote:
Seriously?
Should come out to the Bay Area. Cali has taken it to a whole new level. Never lived in a placed where it takes so long for anything to get done and swear at times that some of the projects in my new home have spent a couple years going back and forth a couple years on paint colors and other incidental design items not too the liking of the local design review committee..
I found that to be a weird comment as well. If anything St. Louis has a big problem with public input, especially when it goes against the will of the political establishment. I mean how long ago did the public say it wanted a regional N/S line to be our public transit priority, but Stenger is utterly against it and holding up progress.
Matthew Hibbard wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:00 pm
Alex,

At the October 17 Operations Committee Meeting, committee members approved Agenda Item 7 -- Wayfinding and Customer Communication Design Procurement of Services.

Link: http://www.bistatedev.org/wp-content/up ... Packet.pdf

The agenda item allows Metro to enter into a contract to update and make clear wayfinding signs across the MetroLink alignment. This project includes updating MetroBus stop signs and select MetroLink stations in order to ease the passenger experience and lessen travel confusion.

Last year, Metro conducted an audit that will provide the framework for updating and managing Metro’s signage and wayfinding program. This audit included recommendations and best practices for signage theme, content, messaging, and placement, as well as a strategy for maintaining clear and consistent signage throughout and following the forthcoming signage update.
Is the gateway card system still moving forward? One of the huge reasons I never use the bus or metro is cause I don't have a card I can just store value on. I never carry cash. The fact that we dont have a card after being promised it in like 2015 is wild.
^With Metrolink there's no need to carry cash. All ticketing kiosks accept credit cards.
wabash wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:58 am
^With Metrolink there's no need to carry cash. All ticketing kiosks accept credit cards.
Unless you start your journey on a bus.
wabash wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:58 am
I'd use busses so much more often if I could pay with my phone or had a Gateway Card.
mjbais1489,

I feel like we're going off the topic -- MetroLink Station Placemaking -- but whatevs...

Yes, the Gateway Card is still progressing, albeit at a very slow pace. We continue to sprinkle in a few testers here and there when needed with the eventual goal of releasing it to the public. Once the Gateway Card is deployed, what may occur is a gradual reduction of fare options -- i.e. Metro passes -- as those would function better via a re-loadable system. Learn more about the Gateway Card at mygatewaycard.com.