Influence of UrbanSTL

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.
I had been thinking about posting this for a while, but didn't know where to put it. Please relocate this if in the wrong place.

Since being on this site for quite a few years now, I have really taken notice at how everyone on here has incredible ideas.

Maybe this already occurs, as I already do this and I know some others do, but I think if people on urbanSTL began to reach out more and influence change as best we can, I think we could do some really great things for St. Louis.

To give an example, in the State of Downtown thread a few days ago, posters provided some really, really, good insights into how Downtown Inc. should better operate and serve downtown better. I think that it would go a great distance if someone communicated those ideas to them.

Even with AmazonHQ2, I know a lot of us contacted civic leaders and urged them to pursue it, which they probably would have done anyways, but nonetheless, it's still engagement.

Even with topics like Saintoberfest and the one theorized event of bringing successful locals back home to see if they would be interested in helping the city as well as showcasing some of our successes- I think these would be awesome opportunities for some of our civic leaders to explore.

I just see so many great ideas that could really help our city on this message board and I think it'd be worth a shot to communicate those with leaders or groups who could implement them.

I'm not saying we need to flood the emails of civic leaders, but I think especially when a great idea like Downtown Inc or the possible civic events people on here come up with, those should definitely be relayed to persons higher up.

Sorry for rambling, this has just really been on my mind lately.
I agree! I think this site has the best collection of St. Louis civic thinkers available.

I think it starts with a physical meeting. Ideally we'd want to think about ways to engage the development and political communities with a collective vision, while still respecting the individuality in opinion that this forum offers.
Agree with both posts above. Don't know how effective we would be but it's worth a shot.
addxb2 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:24 pm
I think it starts with a physical meeting. Ideally we'd want to think about ways to engage the development and political communities with a collective vision, while still respecting the individuality in opinion that this forum offers.
This reminds me a lot of the process that IDEO uses to design products (example), plus, like the members of this forum, IDEO employees come from diverse backgrounds/professions that can all add a unique and worthwhile perspective to problems at hand.

Again, not sure how practical this would be on a regular basis, but at least a one-off event could possibly provide some benefit.