Rothman Closing Down (now Art Van Furniture)

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
I expected this to happen since I go by the store on Watson road everyday. I’m surprised they stayed open as long as they did.

http://via.fox2now.com/clTG0http://via. ... .com/clTG0
I guess the likes of Bob's, IKEA, Value City and Weekends Only made it hard to compete. A lot of chains have entered the market in the last 15 years or so.

The location on Watson would make a prime spot for mixed use, condos or apartments. Massive lot. Maybe bring some life to that area.
Growing up in St. Charles County, the location on I-70 in/near St. Peters was the Rothman landmark feel me. And I guess they had 4 other stores as well. In fact, I think I bought my couches from one of theirs in the county, but not the Watson one.

Anyways, stinks to see, but hopefully the buildings or lots can find a re-use.
I don't shop at Carol House. Anyone know how they are doing? I assume fine, since they compete in the high-end market, not discount. They cater to a demographic looking to spend on real wood, more expensive furniture, correct? Just wondering if they can stay afloat in this competitive business. Hate to see them go down.
Rothman's building at 7737 Watson Rd. in Shrewsbury is under contract to an undisclosed buyer. The company declined to comment about future plans for the remainder of Rothman's real estate.
I wonder if this buyer plans to keep the building or demolish it and utilize the massive property. Who knows, with Bob's expanding so quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if they purchased the property. As of now, this is a good sign because this area doesn't need another massive eyesore.
DogtownBnR wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:52 am
I wonder if this buyer plans to keep the building or demolish it and utilize the massive property. Who knows, with Bob's expanding so quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if they purchased the property. As of now, this is a good sign because this area doesn't need another massive eyesore.
The group that has the property under contract is not an exciting use and will be a disappointment to everyone on here. With that said, it's my understanding that the City of Shrewsbury isn't excited either and will likely turn it down. But weirder things have happened in the STL.
kbshapiro wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:28 pm
DogtownBnR wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:52 am
I wonder if this buyer plans to keep the building or demolish it and utilize the massive property. Who knows, with Bob's expanding so quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if they purchased the property. As of now, this is a good sign because this area doesn't need another massive eyesore.
The group that has the property under contract is not an exciting use and will be a disappointment to everyone on here. With that said, it's my understanding that the City of Shrewsbury isn't excited either and will likely turn it down. But weirder things have happened in the STL.
Another self-storage place, eh?
kbshapiro wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:28 pm
DogtownBnR wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:52 am
I wonder if this buyer plans to keep the building or demolish it and utilize the massive property. Who knows, with Bob's expanding so quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if they purchased the property. As of now, this is a good sign because this area doesn't need another massive eyesore.
The group that has the property under contract is not an exciting use and will be a disappointment to everyone on here. With that said, it's my understanding that the City of Shrewsbury isn't excited either and will likely turn it down. But weirder things have happened in the STL.
Kb, your thoughts as I scratch my head and wonder why demo and housing, even if it requires to be relative dense say townhouse type development, does not seem to gain traction in location like Rothman Shrewsbury site. Demo on large surface parking lot and building pretty straight forward. Utility construction should be relatively straight forward on this lot. Believe it abuts housing on backside.

However, the idea that Watson is strong retail corridor or you can't build housing alongside is mostly fiction driven by developer selling a TIF proposal to the closest city council member. Of course, I think JB nails it as the site is available and would make a convenient instant self storage place with relative safe bet on the return..
kbshapiro wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:28 pm
DogtownBnR wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:52 am
I wonder if this buyer plans to keep the building or demolish it and utilize the massive property. Who knows, with Bob's expanding so quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if they purchased the property. As of now, this is a good sign because this area doesn't need another massive eyesore.
The group that has the property under contract is not an exciting use and will be a disappointment to everyone on here. With that said, it's my understanding that the City of Shrewsbury isn't excited either and will likely turn it down. But weirder things have happened in the STL.
What do you mean "turn it down?" The city (any city) doesn't have veto power over businesses unless they require zoning changes or are specifically prohibited or limited e.g. massage parlors
It's a use that will require a zoning change.

Most of the Rothman's will reopen as a franchise furniture store chain. Not Shrewsbury
kbshapiro wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:21 pm
It's a use that will require a zoning change.

Most of the Rothman's will reopen as a franchise furniture store chain. Not Shrewsbury
Maybe I missed it but...why don't you say what the use is?
As a commercial real estate broker, people tell me things in confidence. So it's not my place to share specifics until the directly related parties are ready to go public on their own accord. As soon as they file plans with the City, it will become public
Art Van Furniture Stores to take over most Rothman Stores, except Watson Rd. & Alton store.

Unfortunately, this article confirms that U-Haul has the Watson location under contract. While U-Haul is better than vacant, that site has so much more potential than a U-Haul facility. Hate to see a business come in a place that is not going to add life to a retail dead zone, but also will not bring people to the area. Considering the storage facility across from Walmart already fills that role in the area, it is truly a shame that this site won't be used to it's fullest potential.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... 244D77E2ED