The Future of Tower Tee

Discuss new retail, dining, business and residential projects within St. Louis County, including Chesterfield, Riverport, Earth City, Westport and more.
The land under Tower Tee is for sale. TT's current owners hope to buy the land and continue business as usual, but it's 28 acres of prime land, so we'll see.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2017/09/07/ ... -for-sale/

Oops...Mods: feel free to move this to the County.
This site would have great transit-oriented development potential if MetroLink MetroSouth were ever built along the BNSF railroad corridor with a station at Heege Rd. Of course, they would likely have to figure out a more reasonable barrier between the freight rails and the transit rails than putting MetroLink on top of a 10 to 15 ft earthen berm.

McBride has property under contract according to KMOX this morning. 99 single family homes and some row homes (The Arbours at Tower Tee). $250K - $350K each. Probably similar to their development near Grants Farm. It will be sad to see a landmark like TT go away. That development will be very close to the industry and railroad tracks. I'm sure they will sell though. To me, if the property is still available, would create the need for the range to reopen near 55 and Union area. The driving range options are limited now, until you get out to West County.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2017/10/26/ ... developer/
This makes me irate! They even have the nerve to include Tower Tee in the name of their crappy subdivision? That Grants Farm subdivision they did is terrible. Identical characterless vinyl siding boxes one after another. Now they'll plow over an iconic place to repeat the process.
^ Couldn't agree more!

Another longtime business lost in that area. Lubely's, Rothman and now Tower Tee.
This is really a tragedy.
DogtownBnR wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:02 am
^ Couldn't agree more!

Another longtime business lost in that area. Lubely's, Rothman and now Tower Tee.
You know, that Rothman parking lot might almost be big enough . . .
Any chance the county won't rezone it?
^^ I'd like to see them reopen the range near 55 and Union, assuming TT closes. Not sure if anything has gone in that spot since the range closed. While the Rothman location would be awesome, I bet the County has bigger plans for that site.
DogtownBnR wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:30 am
^^ I'd like to see them reopen the range near 55 and Union, assuming TT closes. Not sure if anything has gone in that spot since the range closed. While the Rothman location would be awesome, I bet the County has bigger plans for that site.
Why would the County have plans for the Rothman site? It's private property, and it's in Shrewsbury. Unless I'm misunderstanding your reference?
DogtownBnR wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:30 am
^^ I'd like to see them reopen the range near 55 and Union, assuming TT closes. Not sure if anything has gone in that spot since the range closed.
As far as I know (or at least can tell), it's being redeveloped. Drove past the other day and most (if not all) of the grass had been torn up and the whole site is just a lot of dirt at the moment.
^Too bad! Guess we'll have to drive a good distance to the nearest driving range in the future.

^^ If i'm not mistaken, somebody on this thread said that the Rothman property is already under contract. You're right about it being privately owned, but I'd assume the County and Shrewsbury would be providing some Incentives if there Is a sizable residential project in the works. I'm sure if they had a choice, this property will be utilized for something to bring people to the area. that stretch of Watson needs some life injected into it.
DogtownBnR wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:20 am
^Too bad! Guess we'll have to drive a good distance to the nearest driving range in the future.

^^ If i'm not mistaken, somebody on this thread said that the Rothman property is already under contract. You're right about it being privately owned, but I'd assume the county and Shrewsberry would be providing some Incentives if there Is a sizable residential project in the works. I'm sure if they had a choice, this property will be utilized for something to bring people to the area. that stretch of Watson needs some life injected into it.
Ah. The purchaser is allegedly a self-storage operator. If it is, and if they wanted to build self storage, they would need to approach planning and zoning to get it rezoned. They haven't done so (and the sale itself, though under contract, is not a sure thing).

I understand that since Rothman was built, the east side of the property was reclassified as being in a flood plain (there is a creek alongside it) and that will be a factor in redevelopment.
^That would be a terrible use for the property considering the fact that there is a sizable self storage facility right down the street across from Walmart. I hope Shrewsbury officials have a greater vision for that property. I guess that vision would have to include raising the elevation if it is in fact in a floodplain.
Hey, the floodplain is a great reason to go with the Tower Tee idea, right? No rezoning required. Shouldn't be a big deal to have grass (and maybe the odd mini-golf windmill) in a floodplain. Bingo! All problems solved . . . if someone has enough money to invest to buy out the storage operator and doesn't mind losing it in a driving range and mini-golf operation.

Well . . . that's a big pile of disappointing all around. Nothing remotely surprising, but sad nevertheless.
DogtownBnR wrote:

^^ If i'm not mistaken, somebody on this thread said that the Rothman property is already under contract. You're right about it being privately owned, but I'd assume the County and Shrewsbury would be providing some Incentives if there Is a sizable residential project in the works. I'm sure if they had a choice, this property will be utilized for something to bring people to the area. that stretch of Watson needs some life injected into it.
There's a driving range in FP, it's not too difficult to access via Hampton.
DogtownBnR wrote:
I'd assume the County and Shrewsbury would be providing some Incentives if there Is a sizable residential project in the works.
Nobody is offering incentives for a residential project (or a commercial one, for that matter). Do residential projects in the County typically receive such direct subsidy like many in the City? I seriously don't know.
Residential project don't seem to draw incentive packages - I am probably in the minority here, but 90+ new mid range homes less then 1 mile from the city limits (as the crow flies) in this city is a good development, though I do hope they turn out better then the Grant's Farm development, but not holding my breath there. Also could be a nice shoot in the arm for Affton and the Affton school district
https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... nated.html

Unfortunately, this appears to be the end of Tower Tee. Their lease is being terminated. Sad news!
^ The end is very bitter and a tab bit sweet, only because this development will be good for Affton.

If only somebody could find a underutilized place to reopen a similar facility and call it Tower Tee.

I think the local golf community, especially youth golfers, will suffer. Now golfers will have to travel a much greater distance to get to a golf facility of this nature. It was a one of kind place. It will be missed! :cry: