Reliance Automotive Closing

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
The end of an era. Reliance Automotive, long-time fixture at McPherson and Kingshighway has closed.

Great location; should be interesting to see what becomes of their site.
End of an era indeed! That was the family business of a close childhood friend. The building should be well-suited for lofts, huh?
Lots of possibilities for this one.

I suppose demo/new construction could be an option too, given its great location.

http://www.romewestrealtyllc.com/490kingshighway.pdf
stlgasm wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:52 pm
End of an era indeed! That was the family business of a close childhood friend. The building should be well-suited for lofts, huh?
the potential for this site is huge and the existing structure isn't particularly noteworthy. this is one of the few cases where i'd rather see the current building replaced by a new high-rise.
I can't see a high-rise at this site; the neighbors would never allow it. Not sure what the zoning is, though. I think Gasm's got the right idea; the second floor would make some awesome lofts.

I'd say retail or a large restaurant would work on the first floor. I know there's a small parking lot on the side, and of course cars can park in the old service bays, but will that be enough?
Pretty sure this building is located within the CWE North historic district, which definitely has limits on the height of new construction. Not to mention some extra bored NIMBYs nearby (see thread about the arcade bar controversy in the former Herbie's/Balaban's space) who would be quick to oppose a high-rise proposal. I envision a really cool rehab proposal for the existing building-- spacious lofts and a cool ass rooftop terrace, perhaps? Might as well take advantage of those historic tax credits before Greitens kills that program, after all.
framer wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:27 pm
I can't see a high-rise at this site; the neighbors would never allow it. Not sure what the zoning is, though. I think Gasm's got the right idea; the second floor would make some awesome lofts.

I'd say retail or a large restaurant would work on the first floor. I know there's a small parking lot on the side, and of course cars can park in the old service bays, but will that be enough?
The real estate flyer says it has a ramp up to the roof for additional parking, but I suppose if it were converted to residential space, the roof would be better used for a deck, clubhouse, or even a penthouse.
Boo