MidAmerica Airport (BLV)

All the ways we move people and things: trains, planes, automobiles, biking, walking, etc.
First unread post246 posts
July numbers out. Almost to last years total already. Should make 200K this year.

2013 25,550 Increase 567.10%
2014 31,340 Increase 18.47%
2015 62,730 Increase 100.16%
2016 157,433 Increase 150.97%
2017 140,475 (Through July) Increase 50.22%
In a rare release from the airport they updated their traffic through Sep of this year.

180,489 total up 49.21% for the year
15,589 for September up up 23.97% over last September
G4 extended their schedule today from Late May to August. It looks like Destin, FL goes daily. I am pretty sure it is the first daily route G4 has ever flown from BLV. Not the one I would have guessed to go daily. I am pretty sure they were at 21 weekly flights this past summer. Next summer is at 29.

Destin 7x
Orlando 5x
Tampa/St. Pete 5x
Punta Gorda 3x
JAX, MYR, FLL, LAS all 2x

Wednesday and Sunday will have 6 flights, which is the high for a day.
EDIT: These can't be full Nov numbers. It is through Nov 28 but it is almost the full month. They don't have any flights tomorrow, so just one day they still need.

Through November, BLV passengers are up 53% over last year. They cleared 200K for the first time ever. Based on last year I would guess December will add around 15K more.

2012 3,830 Steady
2013 25,550 Increase 567.10%
2014 31,340 Increase 18.47%
2015 62,730 Increase 100.16%
2016 157,433 Increase 150.97%
2017 221,021 (Through November) Increase 52.99%
Saw this link on another site and found this interesting.

The airport released plans for expansion through 2023 at a Public Building Commission meeting Nov. 20.

In 2018, the airport plans to expand the passenger terminal and rehabilitate airport access roads. In 2019, the airport will buy a snow broom and continue expanding the passenger terminal. And in 2020, the airport will expand the runway shoulder and build blast pads for large Boeing 747 planes.

http://www.bnd.com/news/local/article188398674.html
So is the 747 capacity intended for potential cargo planes or is it just something that they want to have should the need arise (i.e. just having it to cover all their bases)?
Trololzilla wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:32 am
So is the 747 capacity intended for potential cargo planes or is it just something that they want to have should the need arise (i.e. just having it to cover all their bases)?
I would imagine cargo planes. They have had some big cargo planes in there semi recently.
Paid parking starts in April. $5 a day max. First hour free.

https://twitter.com/maairport/status/968168200130170880
BLV now has a master plan website.

https://www.blvmasterplan.com

Total passengers last year. 224,000 (42% increase)

Not much else on it yet.
A bit of confusion with regard to the final passenger count - were the passenger numbers 224,000 or 244,000? The website lists both numbers, while the BTS stats seem to confirm 244,000 (which would be fantastic as it would mean >50% growth for another year in a row).
Aha! That's why Lambert got rid of their logo: the dispatchers were concerned about a mid-logo coloision:

Image Image

Anyway . . .
Trololzilla wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:09 pm
A bit of confusion with regard to the final passenger count - were the passenger numbers 224,000 or 244,000? The website lists both numbers, while the BTS stats seem to confirm 244,000 (which would be fantastic as it would mean >50% growth for another year in a row).
I'm guessing 244 is the actual right one or they would have only had something like 3K total in December. If you are updating Wikipedia I'd just put that as the placeholder for now until the BTS for the end of the year comes out. Seems like they rounded. 2016 BTS doesn't match the number in the article either. I hope in the near future they start posting monthly actuals on the site.
BTS stats for the entire year of 2017 are out. Midamerica finished at 245,028 passengers. Up 55.3%. Not entirely sure why that doesn't match the number released on the midamerica site.
Allegiant can't re-accommodate passengers and something like this is beyond their control. Though I would never flight them because of horror stories like this.

http://fox2now.com/2018/04/02/allegiant ... ity-issue/
^A byproduct of fragmented services in the region?
10-intuition wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:43 pm
Allegiant can't re-accommodate passengers and something like this is beyond their control. Though I would never flight them because of horror stories like this.

http://fox2now.com/2018/04/02/allegiant ... ity-issue/
That's the big negative with them. Less than daily service means if your flight is cancelled you are out of luck for a few days. Also, since they don't overnight crews they can't just wait it out, they are on a tight schedule to fly back to the point of origin before the crew times out.

If you have a flexible schedule it isn't a big deal but if you have to be somewhere on a certain day it can be dicey to take them.
Rumors on a pilot message board that BLV could be the next pilot base for Allegiant. Just a rumor but thought I would mention it. I think they usually house a plane or two at each base.

Also January stats.

20284 passengers
up 108%
February numbers are in

41,639 for the year. Still up 108%

It is a little crazy to see how fast Allegiant has grown over there. Already higher numbers than all of 2014. Probably will move ahead of 2015 after March. They might pass 2016 by mid year.
Any word on the pilot base?

Has allegiant ever done a study where their BLV passengers are coming from? New passengers or siphoning off from lambert?

I know I’ve suggested this in the past but I really think connecting BLV to metrolink would be a game changer. Potential balloon for allegiant. How many years of allegiant growth before a bond issue might be feasible?
RuskiSTL wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:41 am
Any word on the pilot base?

Has allegiant ever done a study where their BLV passengers are coming from? New passengers or siphoning off from lambert?

I know I’ve suggested this in the past but I really think connecting BLV to metrolink would be a game changer. Potential balloon for allegiant. How many years of allegiant growth before a bond issue might be feasible?
Rumors on the pilot forums are that BLV has a good chance to be the next one.

Since they fly to some places Lambert really doesn't (MYR, JAX (at the moment), VPS, Punta Gorda), I kind of think they are their own thing. Especially when you factor in the ULCC model, I figure they have a fair amount of flyers that wouldn't fly from Lambert unless it is Frontier to Vegas or Orlando. Some siphon I am sure is happening, I just don't think it is a large amount. I don't think you see the other carriers losing passengers to any of those destinations they overlap.
^I don't have the link to back it up right now but IIRC Lambert has been one of the fastest growing airports for commercial passenger traffic over the last 2 years. Something around the 7th fastest growing each year. That would imply BLV is essentially entirely added traffic. If they were siphoning off a significant portion I doubt we would be seeing the growth numbers that Lambert is seeing.