The Armory - $83M - Health Spa, Retail, Hotel, Offices

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
I would argue they should eliminate the ramps to grand and instead make Bernard a through street from vandventer to Compton. Make the grand/Bernard intersection at grade (by ramping Bernard up to grand’s level over the block. Build right up to grand, with the first occupied floors at grade with grand, and parking below to at grade with the metro link station, on the four parcels adjacent to grand.

Also rebuild the spring viaduct.

Sad that the goodwill building would get demoed it this concept but I don’t see the armory district as a viable project otherwise. Would have the added benefit to the district that significant traffic wishing to access grand would take the vandeventer exit and take Bernard to grand raising traffic counts to make retail potentially viable.
I don't see why the Goodwill, former Macys, building would need to go with that concept. Bernard doesn't need to connect straight to Vandeventer. Just use Market that's in place today.
stlnative wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:02 pm
I don't see why the Goodwill, former Macys, building would need to go with that concept. Bernard doesn't need to connect straight to Vandeventer. Just use Market that's in place today.
Well it could exist and it might even be leasable, but it seems to me that it would be hard to make it walkable. If Bernard was connected through with buildings on either side blocking the highway it could actually support a walkable environment. To me that is worth the loss of the building.

Note I wouldn’t propose to demo it and hope something comes along. Confirmation of secured financing and approved site plans before demo of course.
They constructed new below grade loading docks after the resale place in the basement moved out last winter. I am assuming those to be for expanded Goodwill operations. I'd be surprised if they made that type of investment while anticipating demolition or redevelopment.
addxb2 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:21 pm
They constructed new below grade loading docks after the resale place in the basement moved out last winter. I am assuming those to be for expanded Goodwill operations. I'd be surprised if they made that type of investment while anticipating demolition or redevelopment.
Well I didn’t say it was happening. I just said it needed to to make an armory district viable.

Of course everything is for sale for the right price. I don’t know how fundamental that location is to Goodwills local strategy either. Seems to me it’s in an incovienient spot for goodwill as well but maybe it provides an essential hub function.

Also there is self storage there too right? Those are hard to move and could require eminent domain. Ugh.