Is Square Worth What They're Being Given?

The thriving technology scene covering startups, incubators, investors, etc.
https://www.stltoday.com/business/local ... 700e5.html

Consumer lending. So "innovative".
Even if it's not especially innovative it's probably necessary for them to find a way to make it work to stay competitive. And since they're not as large as an Amazon or a PayPal who essentially are banks or have them in house they probably had to do some real footwork to make it happen. Sounds like a smart move.
San Luis Native wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:33 pm

I've been in the industry for years (software development / engineering). Typical pay for a software developer with 3-5+ years of experience and an undergrad in computer science from pretty much any typical university should be getting paid anywhere from $90K-$120K a year in a market like St. Louis. Specialized skills, past experience, leader or management responsibilities, etc can bring in a good bit more. Anecdotally, I understand computer science grads out of UM Rolla with zero experience are typically getting offers from $65K-$80K/year in KC for entry level positions.
Dang is that how much tech workers make around here these days?! Looks like I'm getting underpaid then. Better ask for a raise haha.
San Luis Native wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:36 pm
And not a single software or network engineer?
Most of Square’s employees in St. Louis are in compliance and customer support, though some IT and recruiting jobs are in Cortex, too.

Square, on its website, lists six open local positions, mostly in sales and support roles
I suspect "IT" is help desk to support the compliance and customer support jobs that make up the majority of the positions and not hardcore tech.
There's a tech company in my building next to the one I work for. They seem to have a lot of workers (like 12 to 20 or something like that) but they seem to be mainly customer and IT support positions for the main HQ in San Francisco. St. Louis is just their main satellite office. I'm guessing it's because the talent pool is decent and the rent is cheap.

Probably the same deal with Square. Personally I'm not impressed by the St. Louis investment.
From the PD today. Square has begun looking for software engineers in St. Louis. Starting off small, but it sounds like they plan to add more.

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local ... op-story-2

It seems several here have a bone to pick with Square for some reason. But at the end of the day they've moved 500 good paying jobs to St. Louis so far with room for an additional 300 for a total of 800. This is a good thing.

To take a quote from page one of this thread:
imthewiz wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:03 pm
I see what you're saying but it appears stl can do no right. They're either not doing enough to lure jobs here, and when they do lure jobs here, they're being wasteful
The Mayor wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:47 pm
From the PD today. Square has begun looking for software engineers in St. Louis. Starting off small, but it sounds like they plan to add more.

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local ... op-story-2

It seems several here have a bone to pick with Square for some reason. But at the end of the day they've moved 500 good paying jobs to St. Louis so far with room for an additional 300 for a total of 800. This is a good thing.

To take a quote from page one of this thread:
imthewiz wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:03 pm
I see what you're saying but it appears stl can do no right. They're either not doing enough to lure jobs here, and when they do lure jobs here, they're being wasteful
This is great news. I agree, Square bringing in new jobs for St. Louis is a definite positive. Overall I'm cautiously optimistic about it and related Cortex hype, even though Cortex developments are no doubt an economic boon for the city.
From the article: "Square will start small, hiring an engineering manager and two software engineers"

These are the first two tech jobs I've heard of Square placing in Cortex. Two out of 500. The rest - as far as I understand - being non tech non scientific jobs that probably shouldn't be in an innovation district.
San Luis Native wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:32 pm
From the article: "Square will start small, hiring an engineering manager and two software engineers"

These are the first two tech jobs I've heard of Square placing in Cortex. Two out of 500. The rest - as far as I understand - being non tech non scientific jobs that probably shouldn't be in an innovation district.
Big deal. When it's all said and done Square will have moved 800 jobs to St. Louis and I bet those 300 they have yet to hire will include some more tech related jobs. That same article said they had plans to add additional tech jobs once they get the engineering manager and the first two positions up and going. Have to start somewhere.

Good on Square for giving St. Louis, and the city specifically, a chance. Tech or not, STL needs the jobs.
Possibly the highest profile employer in the innvoation district ihas filled it with non-tech, non-science, non-engineering jobs and leaders sell it as something it isn't.

"Big deal"? ... I'm thinking you.may indeed be Lyda. :)
San Luis Native wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:17 pm
Possibly the highest profile employer in the innvoation district ihas filled it with non-tech, non-science, non-engineering jobs and leaders sell it as something it isn't.

"Big deal"? ... I'm thinking you.may indeed be Lyda. :)
I lived in St. Louis for close to 20 years and left with the same pessimistic attitude that seems to permeate that region through to it's core. I've lived in KC now for over a decade (moving back to St. Louis in the next 6 months though, can't wait) and I can tell you that people here would be celebrating a high-profile company moving 800 good jobs to the region. People in KC seem to be far more optimistic about their city and I suppose it's rubbed off on me a bit. Watching from afar (and with very frequent visits), I've been extremely impressed with what is going on back at home and can't wait to join. I just get tired of the constant negativity.

For the record, I want the same thing as you. I'd much rather see Square and others have all tech jobs in the Cortex district, and hopefully they'll continue to add more once these first few get going. I'm just not ready to run Square out of town yet.

As for my username, I'll just have to leave that to your imagination :)
Personally, I'd love it if all those West Coast tech giants flooded Cortex with thousands of "non tech, non science, non engineering jobs".
framer wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:14 pm
Personally, I'd love it if all those West Coast tech giants flooded Cortex with thousands of "non tech, non science, non engineering jobs".
Are you by chance related to Yogi Berra?