The State of Downtown

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
First unread post1964 posts
imagine that, residents using city parks and public spaces for enjoyment, MADNESS!
DogtownBnR wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:13 pm
^ I feel like this is an indictment of the current administration. Seems to be a recurring theme throughout the City. While the budget is always strained, there is no excuse for not making sure our City's front lawn is not in order for the countless tourists that visit each year. Inexcusable how bad Kiener looked yesterday!

With the lack of landscaping, bad roads, slow trash pick-up (in dumpsters and litter off the streets) and crime, clearly City Hall needs a shake-up!
I'm a bit unclear as to whose responsibility it is for the Keiner Plaza epic failure.... I think that may be the Gateway Arch Foundation or whatever its called. (And I think Citygarden maintenance also is in seperate private hands.) Regardless, City administration and Downtown STL need to get on some asses to clean up this unacceptable situation.... I don't think there are many cities in America that would allow trash in supposedly downtown jewels to not get picked up in a reasonable manner.
Residents using parks for recreation and enjoyment is not the same as residents using parks while disobeying city ordinances and park rules that are a detriment to the park its surroundings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^ I have to agree with Downtown2007 on this issue.

I called the Citizen's Service Bureau on the mess in and around Kiener Plaza. They deferred me to the DowntownSTL Partnership. I called them. They said that Great Rivers Greenway is responsible for Kiener Plaza. However, they contract out to the City of St. Louis to keep it clean. Then the rep from DowntownSTL said that they are responsible for the streets and sidewalks around Kiener and City Garden. This is quite the convoluted mess if you ask me. You have all of these organizations responsible for different areas of Downtown. Maybe that is the problem! Too many organizations involved. The rep acknowledged that this is not acceptable and provided me with her email address. She asked me to summarize my experience so she can pass this information on to the correct parties and get this issue resolved.
If anyone would like this email address, feel free to PM me.
Right? Everyone's gotta get paid!

I complain about the bureaucratic duplicity in the county municipalities, but nothing different going on here. How many Downtown organizations do we have?

Downtown Neighborhood Association, Downtown St. Louis, Inc., Downtown Economic Development Agency, Downtown STL Partnership.

Jesus, isn't there an alderman to make sure all of this stuff gets taken care of through maintenance channels and facilities/grounds management? Why must we speak through so many diluted and powerless channels?
Seems like these organizations could get a lot more done if they joined forces.

I would almost bet there are differing agendas and egos that prevent that from happening. It could be that these groups just do not have one leader above them all that can bring them together. . . . It would be nice if we had a Mayor willing to intervene.
bwcrow1s wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:50 am

I complain about the bureaucratic duplicity in the county municipalities, but nothing different going on here. How many Downtown organizations do we have?

Downtown Neighborhood Association, Downtown St. Louis, Inc., Downtown Economic Development Agency, Downtown STL Partnership.

Jesus, isn't there an alderman to make sure all of this stuff gets taken care of through maintenance channels and facilities/grounds management? Why must we speak through so many diluted and powerless channels?
I personally like Coatar and think hes one of the better Alderman. But one of the issues I always have in the 7th ward is that all the candidates always live in Soulard/Laf Square. Naturally they will be biased towards those neighborhoods. I personally wish we had a special downtown district alderman. Regardless of residential size, we should have someone focusing day in/day out on the most important neighborhood in our city.
^ I feel like all of this is easily solvable with a private operator that takes care of city trash.
bwcrow1s wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:50 am

DNA is a neighborhood association as the name indicates, lead by a board of 9 volunteers

Downtown St.Louis, Inc and Downtown STL partnership are the same thing- one is a CID and another manages that CID but its the same staff

and Downtown Economic Development agency doesn't exist according to google.
Just to offer a countering point of view, I was downtown around CityGarden and Kiener Plaza several times in early July and did not notice any trash at all.
Looks like Big Baby Q is leaving Maryland Heights and heading downtown :D

https://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/ ... 4f601.html
moving into the Flying Saucer space.
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:52 am
moving into the Flying Saucer space.
I was under the impression that the Wheelhouse/Start Bar group were taking that space...

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local ... 4e3c7.html
robertn42 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:25 am
I was under the impression that the Wheelhouse/Start Bar group were taking that space...
"I will begin a new adventure early 2019," Welch writes in a Facebook post. "I’ll be teaming up with 'partners' to bring potentially the largest [barbecue] restaurant to downtown St. Louis. Expect many of the same items presently at Big Baby plus new/former items."
The key word here was "partners"