The State of Downtown

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
First unread post1911 posts
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:23 am
During arch madness and sec I walked by the range and rooster and both had very long times outside. Same for red oak at Washington and 14th. Blondies was packed the one time I went during breakfast during sec tournament.

This past week(12-14th) brought in 450 men’s and women’s ncaa club volleyball teams(well over 10,000 people) to downtown from around the country and it was definitely noticeable. I spend a lot of time walking around downtown, so I’m pretty good at judging what a downtown baseline night is vs events

Will say this about bpv, it’s a monster. Even during the off season- January to March the ballpark cid had more taxable sales than south grand cid and the grove cid
I walked around last week and was in shock at how full BPV is for lunch. It's not even good food in my opinion.

For some reason, people just really love that brand and the experience. It's perplexing when there are so many other incredible restaurants just north of it. Do people really not value their money?
Can't beat the $10 all you can eat sushi at Sushi Ai ;)

To me, Ballpark Village seems inconvenient. (As of now). Maybe that's just me. But I wouldn't want to walk into a mall-like atmosphere for my lunch break.
dbInSouthCity wrote:
During arch madness and sec I walked by the range and rooster and both had very long times outside. Same for red oak at Washington and 14th. Blondies was packed the one time I went during breakfast during sec tournament.

This past week(12-14th) brought in 450 men’s and women’s ncaa club volleyball teams(well over 10,000 people) to downtown from around the country and it was definitely noticeable. I spend a lot of time walking around downtown, so I’m pretty good at judging what a downtown baseline night is vs events

Will say this about bpv, it’s a monster. Even during the off season- January to March the ballpark cid had more taxable sales than south grand cid and the grove cid
I am also under the impression Wheelhouse and Tin Roof do pretty well also. I have seen lines out of them and up the street of weekend nights with nothing going on in town, which really surprised me. I would imagine they did very well during the tourney games.
With the Arch grounds fully open this summer for the first time in 4 years there would be a big uptick in local tourism and outside tourism which will be a good boost for downtown businesses.
For anyone that wasn't down here during the Volleyball tournament, it was pretty amazing. It didn't absolutely flood restaurants like some of the 3 day events but was a more sustained flow of visitors over the whole week. Which is a much healthier way to support downtown. I'm highly skeptical of Silver Bullet projects, and I don't think that convention center upgrades would be a silver bullet, but I do think it's highly needed. I just hope they do it well.
I’m definitely interested in what boost the arch grounds will bring to downtown. Also, to get people to move north for shops and restaurants/bars in downtown there not only needs to be more people coming in, but a seam of options along the streets leading from Clark to wash ave. I’ve definitely had friends talk about taking an Uber from Bpv to wash ave because they didn’t want to walk: the perception being that it’s a dead zone, which makes north of market feel like it’s a mile away
The state of downtown continues to be a massive amount of street/utilities work and building construction.
^ . . .

Sure, that's visually tiny. And it's probably not even what you're talking about. (I'm guessing you mostly mean the street closures every which way.) But I got photobombed . . . by a crane. ;-) And I was more than two miles away from the crane.
dbInSouthCity wrote:

That definitely makes me feel better.

And that volleyball tournament was a great boost.
user28 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:18 pm
I’m definitely interested in what boost the arch grounds will bring to downtown. Also, to get people to move north for shops and restaurants/bars in downtown there not only needs to be more people coming in, but a seam of options along the streets leading from Clark to wash ave. I’ve definitely had friends talk about taking an Uber from Bpv to wash ave because they didn’t want to walk: the perception being that it’s a dead zone, which makes north of market feel like it’s a mile away
Would have to imagine this is a good opportunity for Limebike and Ofo to shine, as there is a bit of "dead space". I have my own bike so would never use them for straight exercise but if I'm already downtown and want to get somewhere else (i.e. ballpark to Wash Ave), I can definitely see myself utilizing this service.
I suggested to a few far downtown west restaurants ( anything between 18th and Jefferson) to run 10% lunch discount if a person shows up with a LimeBike or Ofo (if they ever launch officially)

unrelated but a soup and sandwich shop to open at 1115 Pine on june 1
https://www.stlmag.com/dining/good-buddy-s/