College Hill housing

Discuss renovations and new construction in North City -- defined by the area north of Delmar Avenue.
New single family housing in college hill -

http://stlnabedev.tumblr.com/post/45832 ... llege-hill

looks good
Nice to see despite the area's unfortunate reputation as the most dangerous neighborhood in the city. On the website I was really surprised though, it says that 68 homes have been rehabbed in the neighborhood (!). http://blogs.lcms.org/2012/stl-neighbor ... nt-dollars
How many forum members would take a walk down College Avenue?
1/100
Why are people on the NextStl forum so scard to go to College Hill?
StL2003 wrote:
Why are people on the NextStl forum so scard to go to College Hill?

:)

To be fair, the 1/100 guess far exceeds my general population (outside N. STL) estimate of 1/100,000.
ecoabsence wrote:
How many forum members would take a walk down College Avenue?

I have walked on that street. I do home health on the north side...and I'm a white female!
Looked at buying a cool little rehab directly under the old water tower at Bissell & Blair. I love the area--mostly for the amount of potential--but over-stayed my welcome a few times. It is hard for me to find a deal-breaker in a neighborhood, but I found many in College Hill.
Driving around the Northside, I'm always amazed at how many new single-family homes have been built in some really sketchy neighborhoods. I get the feeling that it's often an anchoring church that pushes to get this stuff built. God bless them, and I hope they succeed.
I walked around filming a home movie along Blair late one Friday night on the Bissel side of Grand around 1999.

The Blair Cow Project.

The groom was dressed in a professional cow costume. I interviewed street kids about the legend of the Blair Cow. We later interrogated Crown Candy staff about where they get their milk. Cops about recent cow sightings. Eventually, we got kicked out a Schnucks after the groom freaked a customer out while looking at steaks in the meat department.

College Hill seemed very normal compared to what we were doing.

I think that gets us over 1/100.
Please post this film.
VHS.
framer wrote:
Driving around the Northside, I'm always amazed at how many new single-family homes have been built in some really sketchy neighborhoods. I get the feeling that it's often an anchoring church that pushes to get this stuff built. God bless them, and I hope they succeed.

Yes. My parents attend church in a not-so-great neighborhood (outside of this region). Volunteers have built several new homes in the vicinity. Initially the church had issues with break-ins and the like, but that is no longer the case, as the neighborhood came to realize they were helping many people. Not saying all the neighborhood's ills are now cured, but it is a better place because they are there.
I never have problems with people in College Hill, but I've had run ins on 2 separate occasions with a pack of maybe 20 or so stray pit bulls rolling down the street. Scared the crap out of me...both times. Not cool.
Mark Groth wrote:
I never have problems with people in College Hill, but I've had run ins on 2 separate occasions with a pack of maybe 20 or so stray pit bulls rolling down the street. Scared the crap out of me...both times. Not cool.

For short periods they can be much faster than a 49cc. :)
Alex Ihnen wrote:
Mark Groth wrote:

For short periods they can be much faster than a 49cc. :)

^Fact! I'm rolling with 125 cc's these days, forget those pit bulls at 55 mph! :lol:
They cut the ribbon on the first Lutheran Housing home in College HIll today. The project is called "Nazareth Homes" and they have two homes already sold!