Gruensfelder Packing

Discuss renovations and new construction in North City -- defined by the area north of Delmar Avenue.
Hi, I am the granddaughter of Herbert Geiger, partner in Gruensfelder Packing. I don't know much about it, other than my grandpa was a great man and wonderful grandpa. I visited the packing company as a child and have some memories. My grand parents lived in Olivette on Olive Street Road until about the 1960's or so. My Mom joined the Womens Coast Guard during WWII. My Great Aunt, Alice Dent Bowles owned a Stationery story in downtown and always ate at the same restaurant her whole life. One of my uncles, Tom Bowles, lived in a downtown hotel reserved only for men. I remember not being alowed beyond the first floor even as a child. Are there any folks out there who remember these people. I am hoping to see the packing plant when I visit St. Louis i the future as I have wonderful memories of my grandparents.
Geigergruensfelder wrote:
Hi, I am the granddaughter of Herbert Geiger, partner in Gruensfelder Packing. I don't know much about it, other than my grandpa was a great man and wonderful grandpa. I visited the packing company as a child and have some memories. My grand parents lived in Olivette on Olive Street Road until about the 1960's or so. My Mom joined the Womens Coast Guard during WWII. My Great Aunt, Alice Dent Bowles owned a Stationery story in downtown and always ate at the same restaurant her whole life. One of my uncles, Tom Bowles, lived in a downtown hotel reserved only for men. I remember not being alowed beyond the first floor even as a child. Are there any folks out there who remember these people. I am hoping to see the packing plant when I visit St. Louis i the future as I have wonderful memories of my grandparents.

Hello Mr. Geiger, the Gruensfelder building was still standing as of January, 2011. It is in the Hyde Park neighborhood of north city. Make sure you check out the Krey packing plant as well while you are in the area. I wish you the best of luck in connecting memories of your family back to St. Louis. There is a photo of Gruensfelder Packing and several shots of Krey in the following link: http://www.stlouiscitytalk.com/2011/01/hyde-park-neighborhood.html
Geigergruensfelder wrote:
One of my uncles, Tom Bowles, lived in a downtown hotel reserved only for men.

This could be the MAC, which is located at the Northwest corner of 4th Street & Washington Avenue. They used to be men only a number of years ago, have a number of hotel rooms on the upper floors, and there used to be some older guys who lived in the hotel.
Re: Gruensfelder Packing Co.

Ms. Geiger:

Hello: I am Albert Gruensfelder, son of Louis Gruensfelder owner of Gruensfelder Packing Co.
I knew your Grandfather well. You may contact me at [email protected]