College Hill?

Discuss renovations and new construction in North City -- defined by the area north of Delmar Avenue.
I was bored yesterday and was surfing the websites of the different neighborhoods when I came across College Hill, the neighborhood sandwiched between Hyde Park, Fairground Park, O'Fallon/O'Fallon Park, and I-70.. I remember looking at it awhile back but never really digging too deep. A closer look at the website shows that apparently there was some grassroots rehabiliation effort started in 2000, but I never hear anything about the neighborhood on here or elsewhere. Needless to say, I was really drawn to the neighborhood just by the website. So does anyone have any information on this northside neighborhood?
Shimmy wrote:
I was bored yesterday and was surfing the websites of the different neighborhoods when I came across College Hill, the neighborhood sandwiched between Hyde Park, Fairground Park, O'Fallon/O'Fallon Park, and I-70.. I remember looking at it awhile back but never really digging too deep. A closer look at the website shows that apparently there was some grassroots rehabiliation effort started in 2000, but I never hear anything about the neighborhood on here or elsewhere. Needless to say, I was really drawn to the neighborhood just by the website. So does anyone have any information on this northside neighborhood?

Metropolis partnered with the College Hill Elementary school back in the day, providing tutoring and other volunteer services. I'm assuming that's no longer the case. Metropolis is a shell of what it used to be.

There's Women on Mission which is a Chesterfield based group associated with the LCMS that is doing community work in College Hill as a Nehemiah Project.

http://www.womenonmissionstl.org/

Also, does anyone know the actual street location of the building pictured here? http://www.womenonmissionstl.org/how-we-work It's Sweety P's Ice Cream. I found one picture of it on Flickr but no address.

I didn't know anything about College Hill until I found out my grandma grew up at East Prairie and Blair. House is long gone, though.
DeBaliviere wrote:
Metropolis is a shell of what it used to be.

That's no joke. Did the last member turn off the lights yet? :shock:
Does anyone have pictures of the water towers before all the buildings disappeared around them?
Has there been any plans to revitalize the area by the Water Tower on North Grand. I Know right now its kind of a shakey neighborhood(my grandparents lived over there for 40 years)but when I look into the future, I can see this area being vibrant. WIth the progression of Old North St Louis and the new interest in Hyde Park, there is only a matter of time.

Has anyone proposed anything in this area before?