Wagoner Place Historic District

Discuss renovations and new construction in North City -- defined by the area north of Delmar Avenue.
Some of the houses on DGP (the censor won't let me spell out the name) are spectacular. If you are thinking of investing in something, they have just become great buys.

Mayor Slay on the City's newest historic designation: http://www.mayorslay.com/desk/display.asp?deskID=878

Cultural Resources Office summary of the nomination:

http://stlouis.missouri.org/citygov/pla ... onerPl.pdf

What an impressive street!

From Geo St. Louis:

Code: Select all

Handle Address Owner 

14473000050  1907  DICK GREGORY PL MCDANIEL, JOHN T & YVONNE TRS

14474000050  1805  DICK GREGORY PL JONES, CLEART C & DOROTHY J

14476000030  1527  DICK GREGORY PL NEW ROCK MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH

15638000010  1508  DICK GREGORY PL HARRIS, ABE B & VIOLA &

15638000020  1514  DICK GREGORY PL GREATER KING SOLOMON M B CHURCH

15638000030  1518  DICK GREGORY PL GREATER KING SOLOMON M B CHURCH

15638000040  1520  DICK GREGORY PL LRA

15638000050  1524  DICK GREGORY PL LRA

15638000060  1528  DICK GREGORY PL WILKINSON, RON

15638000070  1700  DICK GREGORY PL LRA

15638000080  1702  DICK GREGORY PL LRA

15638000090  1704  DICK GREGORY PL L R A

15638000100  1710  DICK GREGORY PL LRA

15638000111  1714  DICK GREGORY PL LRA

15638000130  1718  DICK GREGORY PL LRA

15638000140  1722  DICK GREGORY PL LRA

15638000150  1724  DICK GREGORY PL BOLDEN, LAMIRA M

15638000160  1726  DICK GREGORY PL BOLDEN, LAMIRA M

15638000160  1726  DICK GREGORY PL BOLDEN, LAMIRA M

15638000170  1728  DICK GREGORY PL WILKINGSON, RONALD L

15638000170  1728  DICK GREGORY PL WILKINSON, RONALD L

15638000180  1800  DICK GREGORY PL JOHNSON, RUTHIE M

15638000190  1802  DICK GREGORY PL LRA

15638000210  1814  DICK GREGORY PL HARRIS, GENTILE & ACENIA & ETAL

15638000215  1816  DICK GREGORY PL DINKINS, JESSIE B

15638000220  1818  DICK GREGORY PL WRIGHT, STANNIE & NONA R

15638000230  1820  DICK GREGORY PL LRA

15638000240  1822  DICK GREGORY PL LRA

15638000250  1832  DICK GREGORY PL GORE, ROBIN C & KIMBERLEY M GORE

15638000260  1900  DICK GREGORY PL SHEKINAH GLORY MINISTRIES

15638000270  1904  DICK GREGORY PL SHEKINAH GLORY MINISTRIES

15638000280  1906  DICK GREGORY PL BETHEL CHRISTIAN CHURCH

15638000300  1914  DICK GREGORY PL BETHEL CHRISTIAN CHURCH

15638000310  1916  DICK GREGORY PL MITCHELL, ALICE

15638000320  1918  DICK GREGORY PL O'NEAL, BETTY T TRS

15638000330  1922  DICK GREGORY PL LRA

1524:

1528:

1700:

1702:

1704:

1710:

1714: ImageImage

1718:

1722:

1728 - apparently, this has been renovated, but there are only interior shots available:

1802:

1820:

1822:

1832:

-RBB

^

Wow, lots of LRA properties on that street. Maybe the city could come up with a comprehensive marketing plan for them. It would be great to have one developer come in and tackle them all.

Man, some of the houses and duplexes pictured in the linked CRO document are beautiful! Hopefully this historic designation and the density of quality housing stock is enough to get this area going. I also hope, however, that it doesn't take away from ONSL's momentum.

Great project for Amy and Amrit Gill to take on to jump start gentrification of the northside.

SMSPlanstu wrote:
Great project for Amy and Amrit Gill to take on to jump start gentrification of the northside.

I definitely think this would be great for north St. Louis - particularly The Ville, but trust me, there are tons of renovations and new construction taking place (and have taken place) all over north St. Louis. A renovation/rehab of properties on Dic.k Gregory Place (Wagoner Place) would hardly jump start north St. Louis gentrification. Such a development would only add to the current activity.

There are rehabs and new construction already occurring in The Ville, The Greater Ville, Old North St. Louis, and Jeff Vander Lou.

Nonetheless, I think this is great and very needed. Kudos to the individuals who made the historic designation happen.

The fact that four churches own seven of the homes concerns me a little, but maybe I'm just being unreasonable. Like SMS mentioned, it would be great to see a single developer tackle the vacant properties on this street - since D. Gregory Place would have its own unique identity, it might be easier to market, kind of like Gaslight Square.

[ since D. Gregory Place would have its own unique identity, it might be easier to market, kind of like Gaslight Square.[/quote]

yeah, who wouldn't want to "hang out" in D*ck Place 8)

bsever wrote:
Man, some of the houses and duplexes pictured in the linked CRO document are beautiful! Hopefully this historic designation and the density of quality housing stock is enough to get this area going. I also hope, however, that it doesn't take away from ONSL's momentum.

The Ville's housing stock is much different than ours and offers a different -- and equally compelling -- experience. Just as on the south side, some people choose Soulard while others prefer Tower Grove Heights, on the north side some will prefer the larger homes and more generous lawns of Wagoner Place to the converted tenements of Old North. The availability of historic rehab tax credits allows there to be a choice at all.

Why doesn't the city issue an RFP for the properties it owns on (Richard) Gregory?

The city's lack of urgency in getting properties back on the tax rolls concerns me sometimes.

Gentrification of the North Side? These homes are vacant. No one is being pushed out. Besides, saying "let's gentrify the North Side" is politically rather divisive. Urbanists shouldn't expect to win support by saying they want gentrification. Northside aldermen certainly aren't going to support development which is deemed "gentrification."

Doug wrote:
Gentrification of the North Side? These homes are vacant. No one is being pushed out. Besides, saying "let's gentrify the North Side" is politically rather divisive. Urbanists shouldn't expect to win support by saying they want gentrification. Northside aldermen certainly aren't going to support development which is deemed "gentrification."

Good point. "Stabilization" and/or "revitalization" might be better terms.

Wow, what a shame. Most of those houses are quite handsome.

http://www.mayorslay.com/desk/display.asp?deskID=1091

In an earlier blog item, I mentioned efforts to preserve elements of City’s cultural heritage by designating them as historic structures in order to allow developers to use tax credits to rehab them. After reading the item, Barb Geisman sent me a note.

According to Barb, Dick Gregory Place, the newest historic district in the Ville neighborhood, is already generating positive change. The Ville Neighborhood Housing Corporation, Northside Community Housing, and the Regional Housing and Community Development Alliance are partnering on a development proposal that will produce forty new historically rehabilitated, affordable rental apartments in a block of Dick Gregory Place fronting on Dr. Martin Luther King Drive. The new development will transform long-vacant, but culturally and architecturally significant, structures into quality new homes that will showcase the Ville’s historic importance. Both federal and state historic tax credits are critical to the feasibility of this development — and an application is pending at the Missouri Housing Development Commission for federal and state low-income housing tax credits.

I strongly support this development, which is one of the new Major Development Initiatives that I have worked to structure in partnership with City aldermen over the past two years. I congratulate and commend Alderman Sam Moore, Harold Crumpton, and RHCDA for their work in putting this development package together.

And, since she (and they) too rarely hear it: I thank Kate Shea (and her staff) for their work in putting this new historic district on the National Register of Historic Places. Without their dedication to and passion for making sure that our cultural heritage is appropriately recognized, we’d lose far more of it.

-RBB

^

You beat me to it. This is great news - those homes are amazing.

Great news indeed, but that dirty-word cleanser always makes me laugh.

Dick Gregory? I mean, sh*t, man.

Awesome news. This could be yet another great historic STL neighborhood saved.

saying "let's gentrify the North Side" is politically rather divisive.

is it? i'd call it "saving" it. i don't want people to lose their houses by any means, which is why i'm against eminent domain..but when these areas "gentrify" they improve. sorry, but it's true. look at SOulard and Lafayette Park EXCELLENT examples of gentrification. In LP, what were once boarding houses, are now large mansions once again. bring on the gentrification. if only Mill Creek Valley's residents weren't forced out by the GOVERNMENT, but rather only market conditions... perhaps the neighborhood would be another CWE/Lafayette Park mix...

15 homes along D|CK Gregory Place are slated to be rehabbed by the Regional Housing and Community Development Alliance (RHCDA).

They will also build two new homes and take down a small commercial structure.

This is going before the Preservation Board today.

Read more here (which contains my source link).

^

This is really great news!

Like I commented on your blog, I'm surprised that they think that small commercial building needs to be demolished since it will only create five parking spaces. Seems like a waste to me. There are vacant lots all over the place in this neighborhood. There also isn't a huge amount of traffic. I don't know that those five parking spaces will make or break any businesses that set up shop there.

I just looked up the commercial building on teh Googles, and there is a vacant lot just on the other side of Marcus from the building that is slated for demolition.

And, immediately behind the building - on the other side of the alley to the north - there is a HUGE vacant lot.

My assumption is that those parking spaces will actually be for the residential tenants for the building. Having been involved in a very similar project with RHCDA, they always try to provide at least one off street parking space for their tenants. I don't like to see the loss, but I am OK with it.

DeBaliviere wrote:
I just looked up the commercial building on teh Googles, and there is a vacant lot just on the other side of Marcus from the building that is slated for demolition.

And, immediately behind the building - on the other side of the alley to the north - there is a HUGE vacant lot.

That lot to the north is the site of the proposed new construction.