Hyde Park Beauty

Discuss renovations and new construction in North City -- defined by the area north of Delmar Avenue.
Look at this sweetie pie:

http://instagram.com/p/abRxG-G_CO/

Someone will have a beautiful home.
Wow! That is incredible!
That place HAS to be haunted.
^ I'd love to have the money to buy it and find out!
It's huge!
What's the address? I can find out who currently owns and you can make them an offer!
Wow...somehow I just found this thread. What an absolutely amazing house!
My mason just took down his scaffolding from my house so he can start work on this building. The owner of the mansion is going to put a substantial investment into the exterior. Lots of brick work, slate repairs, copper replacement, painting, etc. It's going to look even better soon.
Now, that is an amazing home! Hope that one gets a really good renovation. Any updates on it?
I spoke with the owner a few months ago after she came out to ask why I was photographing her home. They have been there for something like 20+ years if I remember correctly. The funny thing about that house is that it's a two family, so they have to walk outside to go between the two units (but own and use both).

There's a few available homes across the street if anyone wants to be neighbors!
Ha that's hilarious that they go out to enter the other unit! It really is a lovely home and I hope it can stand the test of time.

What's the state of the area today? I have read posts and articles, even saw a video put out by KETC about the redevelopment in the neighborhood. From a look at Google Maps, I see the sidewalks and streetlights have been improved on Salisbury. That little street has some nice buildings-it would be nice to see most of them renovated in an effort akin to 14th in Old North.

I view it as particularly important to bring back both Old North and Hyde Park for North St. Louis to manage to hold onto some character and make a come back.
Curse you Google "Street View"!
http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... e-latest-1

29 Rental Homes starting construction soon. Article boasting about distance to NGA and recent successes in neighborhood. Hyde Park Neighborhood Association creating community.

I drove through Hyde Park neighborhood and discovered that most of the new construction being done is that orange-y front facing brick, with gray siding. (some similar homes in the Grove).

I worry that when and how the Northside grows, the new construction will be cheap. It's like an urban Wentzville the way houses here are being spaced and constructed. We have the ability to make North St. Louis a truly unique place.

I'm all for a housing boom spawned by the NGA, but I want it to be done right. Build community, connect current residents with future residents. Place-setting.
Agree... are there any form based codes in Hyde Park to preserve the urban form? Would be great to see some brownstone-esque rowhomes in these neighborhoods.
We have to push back on wide lots. They will contribute to insolvency if the tax base of the property doesn't cover the costs of infrastructure and services.
quincunx wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:09 am
We have to push back on wide lots. They will contribute to insolvency if the tax base of the property doesn't cover the costs of infrastructure and services.
What can I do to push?
quincunx wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:09 am
I disagree. Abandoned houses and empty lots with no revenue hurt alot more than wide lots.

Im not going to fight a developer if they want 30' wide lots instead of 25' for example. If thats what it takes for them to build...more power to them. I'm not going to stop a neighborhood from gaining residents just cause I don't view something as "sufficiently urban".

If they want to build low laying ranch houses, we can talk. Wider than average lots? Count me in.
I didn't cite a specific width as ideal. Depends on the land use's productivity and the amount to cover infrastructure and services over the long term. Maybe these are enough. We need to do the math. We can't make up for too low productivity land uses through volume.

Looks to me the lots of new homes there are on 40' lots. Yet the houses are skinny. Beyond the more important issue of land productivity, it looks awkward to me.
ImprovSTL wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:54 pm
What can I do to push?
Try to educate people, particularly those in decision-making roles. Wish I could get everyone to watch the Curbside Chat from Strong towns.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkbqXoc0y7g[/youtube]

Loads of great reads there too. Here's one

The Real Reason Your City Has No Money
https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/201 ... s-no-money