Building that houses Coffee Cartel - What???

Renovations and new construction in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
Okay, what other city would let the upper floors of that amazing building in the heart of the the most vibrant intersection of the entire city sit vacant for years? WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH THIS BUILDING??? It drives me crazy to see the floors above the Cartel completely dark. It's a crime. If the owner doesn't want to rehab it, SELL IT. That is prime real estate and it should be fully utilized.

Does anyone have info on this building? Who owns it? I recall a proposal to renovate the upper floors about 6 years ago, but obviously that never panned out.
Check Geo St. Louis for the owner.
STLgasm wrote:
Okay, what other city would let the upper floors of that amazing building in heart of the the most vibrant intersection of the entire city sit vacant for years? WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH THIS BUILDING??? It drives me crazy to see the floors above the Cartel completely dark. It's a crime. If the owner doesn't want to rehab it, SELL IT. That is prime real estate and it should be fully utilized.

Does anyone have info on this building? Who owns it? I recall a proposal to renovate the upper floors about 6 years ago, but obviously that never panned out.

Perhaps you should make an offer.
Looks like the building is owned by Argyle Associates.
Argyle Associates, LLC is listed in the Yellow Pages. Looks like they primarily manage rental apartments.

You can contact them at (314) 367-3880.

-RBB
More info from STLCIN.com's minutes of the July 27, 2010 Public Meeting:

http://stlcin.missouri.org/publicmeetin ... ngNum=1706

RESOLUTION NO. 10-LCRA-9053 - RESOLUTION DESIGNATING ARGYLE ASSOCIATES LLC AS REDEVELOPER OF ALL THE PROPERTY LOCATED IN THE #2 MARYLAND PLAZA. REDEVELOPMENT AREA AND APPROVING ENTERING INTO A REDEVELOPMENT AGREEMENT (Dale Ruthsatz)

So it appears they haven't owned it for long, or if they did they finally got the okay to redevelop it a few months back.

-RBB
for future reference

http://stlcin.missouri.org/assessor/lookup.cfm

from there you can find tax info as well
The Central Scrutinizer wrote:
STLgasm wrote:
Okay, what other city would let the upper floors of that amazing building in heart of the the most vibrant intersection of the entire city sit vacant for years? WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH THIS BUILDING??? It drives me crazy to see the floors above the Cartel completely dark. It's a crime. If the owner doesn't want to rehab it, SELL IT. That is prime real estate and it should be fully utilized.

Perhaps you should make an offer.

Because if you don't have the money to fix the problem yourself, you should really just shut up? I don't get it.
Walking by today I saw a banner above Coffee Cartel announcing redevelopment, I'm assuming for this space. From what I recall (I wasn't paying that much attention on the walk home), it's going to be called the Argyle Apartments and is scheduled to be completed this fall.
Wow, that's great news! Thanks for the update, rbeedee!
The rehab is still going on... In talking to the owner of Big Sleep Books on Euclid, there have been a few problems, but they are still moving along.
Yes I saw the banner as well. Good to know we will have more residents on this block.
rbeedee wrote:
Walking by today I saw a banner above Coffee Cartel announcing redevelopment, I'm assuming for this space. From what I recall (I wasn't paying that much attention on the walk home), it's going to be called the Argyle Apartments and is scheduled to be completed this fall.

Hopefully they're nicer than the Argyle Apartments that were torn down to make way for the library and parking garage.
Coffee Cartel is closing! With great sadness, we regret to say that Tuesday, October 16th will be our final day of business after 22 proud years.
We invite all to come to Coffee Cartel and enjoy a free scoop of ice cream tomorrow 6am to 10pm
:(
Dennis George talks about the closure on KMOX at about 20:30

https://omny.fm/shows/charlie-brennan-s ... 18-10-11am
^ panhandling and parking? "used to be a window-shopping neighborhood?" :roll: i'm so tired of the lame excuses. there's more shopping, dining, residential, foot traffic in the CWE today than there has been in at least 20 years. the real reason is that Coffee Cartel hasn't updated itself in 20 years. It's a depressing place to hang out, IMO. there are better options now. i doubt the space will stay empty for long.
Could also just be the changing clientelle. When I first went there (apparently about when they opened) the west end was pretty well what the grove is now. Or maybe almost Cherokee. There were divey restaurants, cheap buffets, fast food. (Well, Bread Company, anyway.) It was much grittier then. And there were still cheap student apartments. Sure, there were some antique joints too. And an artsy place or two. But man, it's much richer now. Just different people. Different class. Different lifestyle. I was more of a Grind sort than Coffee Cartell, but CC is literally the last place in the neighborhood where I ever hung out on a semi-regular basis that's still in business. The Majestic, The Grind, Duff's. Used to go to a Chinese buffet where the sushi joint is now pretty regularly. The grind used to have a free internet connected computer in the back in the days when that was sort of novel. It was perpetually on Narcanon's webpage. I have a hard time believing you could walk into a smokey joint there now and hope to find someone that would help you get back on your feet. And maybe actually give you a cup of coffee. To some extent that's life. Places change. Even the college students are richer now. But you have to get just a little teary if you remember what it was. Glad to see all the rehab and all the activity, but it's okay to be nostalgic over what once was.
Definitely a huge psychological loss for any kid growing up in St. Louis during the ‘90s/early 2000s. As a high schooler growing up in Creve Coeur in the pre-internet 1990s, Coffee Cartel (and The Grind) was our default late-night destination. We spent countless weekends hanging out there till the wee hours, sitting around the old concrete fountain in Maryland Plaza, usually overflowing with soap bubbles. It was about the only place you could go when everything else was closed, any time of the day, any time of the year. So many languages overheard on the sidewalks. It was really a beacon of humanity, attracting people from all over the city, suburbs and beyond, providing an unmistakably urban experience at any hour that reminded you that St. Louis is a big city. Whether you were seeking familiarity and community or complete anonymity, Coffee Cartel was a retreat. To think that the doors at Coffee Cartel haven’t been locked- EVER- in literally over two decades is crazy. Just knowing it was there gave the whole city a little after-hours buzz even though I haven’t been there in a while. I will miss it very much.

I heard on St. Louis Public Radio that the owner attributed the decline in business to panhandling, petty crime, scarcity of parking, etc, but it seems like Coffee Cartel's heyday was when the internet was still relatively new, and people still congregated at coffeehouses to surf the web. As a former CWE resident for ten years, pandhandling seemed like way more of a problem in the earlier days than in more recent years. Also, back when Cartel was thriving, there was no Kaldi's or Starbucks a stone's throw away to grab a cup of coffee. And there are lots of places to get ice cream and frozen yogurt in the neighborhood too. There are just more options, and I think Coffee Cartel struggled to stand out as a go-to place for either.
There is a parking garage with a reasonable $1/h fee in the same block as CC. so I don't buy the parking argument.

As for panhandling. I have lived in the CWE for 8 years now. Some days are worse than others. You eventually realize that there are all kinds of people in your community and learn to respectfully co-exist.

Reminds me of Goodworks in the loop blaming the Trolley for their closure when IKEA opened ..
imran wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:23 pm
There is a parking garage with a reasonable $1/h fee in the same block as CC. so I don't buy the parking argument.
Oh, I think you're right. The owner is maybe searching for reasons other than people having lousy taste in where to get coffee. As I said earlier, I figure it probably just goes down to a changing demographic: more affluent, more out of town, more raised on burned Seattle. (Though, to be fair, I do not recall CC having truly stand-out coffee. I just liked the hours.) But the college scene has definitely shifted away from the area, so the late night crowd maybe isn't what it once was. And I don't myself tend to hang out at coffee shops until three in the morning anymore.

But I can kind of see the parking thing, a little. I never would have guessed that the parking garage was a buck an hour. I'd just assumed it had downtown/airport/Clayton grade prices. So I circle and look for street parking. And that's not always easy to find when you're in a hurry. Advertising may be required.

I'm certain you're right and that lack of parking isn't really what cost them business, but I can also understand why someone that has been there for twenty years might think parking is more of an issue now than it was twenty years ago. I wouldn't call it dishonest, just mistaken. Searching for sense and looking in the wrong place because that's where we always look around here. Kind of a usual suspects problem.
symphonicpoet wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:50 am

But I can kind of see the parking thing, a little. I never would have guessed that the parking garage was a buck an hour. I'd just assumed it had downtown/airport/Clayton grade prices. So I circle and look for street parking. And that's not always easy to find when you're in a hurry.

So...nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded?
ricke002 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:37 am
So...nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded?
:D Yeah, pretty much.

(For the record, I do still sometimes go to the neighborhood. Every now and then. And my wife loves it. I just go for beer more often than coffee these days. I done got older, with all the baggage that entails. And now I'm older still.)
Opinion from someone who is new to the city and therefore devoid of any emotional factors/nostalgia: that place was pretty bad in my opinion. I went there a total of maybe 5-6 times. It always looked kind of dirty and the employees were rude to me on more than one occasion.
All of this would be "fine" if the coffee were excellent or cheap, but it was neither. I'm not a huge fan of their coffee either, but I stopped going to that place altogether after Kald's opened.

Edit: meant employees, not employers
^ yep. this.