4400 Manchester

Renovations and new construction in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
I know this has been discussed in other topics, but figured this deserved its own thread. Drove by the site yesterday: fence is up, bulldozers on site, and looks like site grading has begun. For reference, here is the NextSTL article on it:

https://nextstl.com/2016/08/4400-manche ... gn-retail/
Another big change for the Manchester streetscape:

This is coming right along. Construction crews are there, concrete pillars starting to rise from the ground.
I took this picture from the patio of UCBC on Sunday.

Anybody have a more recent construction pic? Has this topped out yet?
cardinalstl wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:15 am
Anybody have a more recent construction pic? Has this topped out yet?
I'll take one on the way home from work today.
Not topped out yet; still on first floor I believe and a ways to go,
Elevator shaft is done and still working on first floor

I am generally obsessed with density but at its current three stories, this building fits perfectly into the streetscape.
^ sacrilege!
I know, right? :D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... ed-public/

Having issues with the image code so linked to my flicker page.

Update from last week. Topped out and should be moving onto finishes in short order.
Just in terms of massing it's such a strong addition to the west end of the strip.
wabash wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:47 pm
Just in terms of massing it's such a strong addition to the west end of the strip.
My question is how some of those single families, two families and four families on the south side of Manchester are still boarded up and vacant? Owner holdouts? Can they be declared blighted at this point to get them moving, because it's getting old.
bwcrow1s wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:41 am
wabash wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:47 pm
My question is how some of those single families, two families and four families on the south side of Manchester are still boarded up and vacant? Owner holdouts? Can they be declared blighted at this point to get them moving, because it's getting old.
Yeah that is always curious to me. Same thing in Soulard. Boardups still around despite houses fetching half a mil.
Maybe it's being saved to be redeveloped all at once a la the Newstead/Vista project. I do agree though I am sick of seeing them in that condition. Same with the board ups on Kingshighway.
Truth is the Grove still has a long way to go and is likely to have some empty stretches for some time to come. The Loop still has abandoned buildings and long- empty storefronts west of Des Peres, and it has clearly been seeing investment and renewal much longer than The Grove.

UCBC really put the western section on the map. Giving it the anchor that it needed. And this project will continue that momentum. But I don't think empty and boarded up buildings along Manchester are going to disappear altogether from Manchester anytime soon.
wabash wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:34 pm
Truth is the Grove still has a long way to go and is likely to have some empty stretches for some time to come. The Loop still has abandoned buildings and long- empty storefronts west of Des Peres, and it has clearly been seeing investment and renewal much longer than The Grove.

UCBC really put the western section on the map. Giving it the anchor that it needed. And this project will continue that momentum. But I don't think empty and boarded up buildings along Manchester are going to disappear altogether from Manchester anytime soon.
Hell, I've seen vacant storefronts in Manhattan. It's really an urban phenomenon in capitalistic societies. Vacancy, whether it be residential or commercial is very common in the U.S., even in thriving cities. The problem in St. Louis is that vacancies seem to be a little TOO common.

Care of Wash U Medical Center Redevelopment Corp.
Are their plans for rooftop amenities in this building? Going to have amazing views of Clayton, the CWE and downtown Stl. Very cool!

Edit: Plans look like no rooftop features. I'd still bring a lawn chair and a cooler to the roof some days :)
^So many opportunities.