One Hundred - Kingshighway & West Pine

Renovations and new construction in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
First unread post504 posts
This one is really starting to show off it's curves...er...angles. The average man-on-the-street still doesn't know what's about to hit him. A new local landmark, for sure.
framer wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:13 pm
This one is really starting to show off it's curves...er...angles. The average man-on-the-street still doesn't know what's about to hit him. A new local landmark, for sure.
The average suburban commuter / out of town visitor on 64/40!!!!!!!
So excited to see this from that bend on westbound 64/40 at IKEA.
Nice sightline from 44 too. Unfortunately 70 is still an embarrassing wasteland for people driving through. Makes me wonder if populations from areas that would typically pass through STL o 70 have measurably different opinions about us than those that would naturally drive 64. I.E. people from Kansas City always talk about St. Louis like it's the next Detroit, but would people from Louisville have a different opinion? These are the things that keep me up at night.
Hard at work on a Saturday. From the webcam today. I believe they have hit the last of the parking levels and are transitioning to residential floors. A concrete pump is being installed next to the core that will rise with the tower.

newstl2020 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:39 pm
Hard at work on a Saturday. From the webcam today. I believe they have hit the last of the parking levels and are transitioning to residential floors. A concrete pump is being installed next to the core that will rise with the tower.

Yes. This is the last parking level for the garage. By January 1st, the amenity floor will be completed. There are some apartments on it but floors that are made up of all apartments begins on level 7. By February 27th (one year since start) this should be up to Floor 11 or 12.
All these aerial photos highlight how much prime real estate exists as surface parking in the CWE still. I hope if this goes well there is an equally ambitious project proposed quickly for the north lot.
GoHarvOrGoHome wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:47 am
Nice sightline from 44 too. Unfortunately 70 is still an embarrassing wasteland for people driving through. Makes me wonder if populations from areas that would typically pass through STL o 70 have measurably different opinions about us than those that would naturally drive 64. I.E. people from Kansas City always talk about St. Louis like it's the next Detroit, but would people from Louisville have a different opinion? These are the things that keep me up at night.
I'm not at all sure there's any ground level approach from the east that isn't at least somewhat depressing. For comparison you'd really need to ask how people from Springfield MO or Memphis see St. Louis. But the truth of the matter is that if you go downtown by more or less any possible route you will pass through some areas of abandonment and neglect. Even from the south and west. Downtown is almost completely surrounded by aging industry, aging transportation infrastructure, and pockets of persistent poverty. The only real exception is an exceptionally slender thread leading west along Locust or maybe Washington. And that's very very recent and still fragile. The eastern fringes of midtown still have quite a long way to go. They're worlds better than they were twenty years ago, but . . . there are a lot of holes. And some of those are pretty visible even from the highway, though with the Armory and Foundry projects that might change pretty quickly. It doesn't help that property right next to the highway has something of a strike against it to begin with.

But anyway, this project will catch eyes. It's going to be visible from the moon, more or less. You can see that crane from miles away and the building itself will be more obvious and more eye catching. That's going to be one heck of a magazine rack.
The view from the park is gonna be awesome. Picture it from Art Hill. Also looming over some of the little waterways and hidden spots in the park. And from the Central Fields (think balloon race).
I'll have to get the exact location but my family and I were coming home from Eckert's using I-255 in Illinois and somewhere between the Downtown airport and the Illinois 157 exit, you can see the cranes for One Hundred, BPV and SLU Hospital but just barely for One Hundred. You can see the Chase though so I assume you'll be able to see One Hundred from this angle too. Reason being that this is at an angle, so you can see the whole Central corridor from this perspective. I'll have to go out there one day with my camera and attempt to take a photo while a family or friend drives.
Update from this morning (12/20/18).

The magazine rack shape is really starting to show in the Kingshighway side of the pedestal. Just a drive-by snap, but it shows you the outline, anyway.

This one posted by Chris over on Facebook is already giving me vertigo:

framer wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:09 am
This one posted by Chris over on Facebook is already giving me vertigo:

Thanks for sharing. I personally am liking this angle of the building. I think it will look better than the southwestern angle we have seen in the rendering. Here is the other photo, zoom of the angles. An interesting fact here is that the zig-zag portions, that will be living rooms above Floor 5, will be storage units on Floors 2, 3 and 4. Parking spaces couldn't fit here so it's interesting.
The thing about this building is that, even discounting the zig-zags, it's not a rectangle. I guess you'd call it an irregular quadrilateral. It's going to look completely different from every perspective.

Photographers are going to love this thing.
^Or a tetracotagon - which apparently is the word for a shape with 40 sides.
This will be a great place to watch One Hundred go up. The flowering design will appear after Floor 8 or 9 from this perspective. This is from the trash can area of Quest Diagnostics at Parc Frontenac. I wonder what the back façade will be made of or if the parking garage will be left exposed.

Update 01/10/2019. Final podium floor being poured is very evident from this side of the building.

I check in on the webcams daily just see this beauty in its various stages of construction. That view atop the Chase Park Plaza gives you a real good idea just how impressive and dominant this tower will be on the CWE skyline.

I don't know squat about commercial construction and maybe this is an obvious question but why are some elevator shafts built at a pace similar to the floors where they don't rise much above the steel while others are poured way ahead like Centene? I remember watching the Eagleton Courthouse go up and they basically had the elevator shafts completed before they started attaching the steel. It looked like a giant square smokestack for a while.
pdm_ad wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:09 pm
I don't know squat about commercial construction and maybe this is an obvious question but why are some elevator shafts built at a pace similar to the floors where they don't rise much above the steel while others are poured way ahead like Centene? I remember watching the Eagleton Courthouse go up and they basically had the elevator shafts completed before they started attaching the steel. It looked like a giant square smokestack for a while.
I think it has something to do with the curing process, on a tower like One Hundred especially. For steel structures, I think it rises faster in order for steel to be attached as steel is faster to erect. I don't know for sure but that's my theory.

Photo from the One Hundred Twitter page. Looks wonky but I like it.
Slowly coming over Central Field's Tree Line.

This thing is going to look huge on the skyline. Can't wait.
https://app.oxblue.com/open/claycorp

They are putting down the wooden forms for the east facade and you can really see the tower's outline now. It gives you a good idea as to the shape and size relative to the surroundings.
Things are moving now. They're starting on the main tower, and you can now see the zig-zags on the Eastern side.

framer wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:32 am
Things are moving now. They're starting on the main tower, and you can now see the zig-zags on the Eastern side.

The apartments on the first floor of the tiers, with a terrace, will be very small based on the outline. Will be interesting to see how they come out.